Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 11-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Help developing kepubify plugin for calibre

I've been working on a kepubify plugin for calibre. Here is what I have so far: https://github.com/geek1011/kepubify...re/__init__.py . This is my first plugin (and I also don't even use calibre much), so feel free to be truthful about how bad it is so far .

It kinda works so far, but it's a bit flakey (it fails randomly). Also, note that to build this plugin, you need to download all the kepubify executables from the releases page into the plugin dir.

My main questions are:
1. How can I prevent this from conflicting with the other kepub output plugin?
2. Why does the executable extraction fail randomly, and is there a way I can only extract it once during installation (or per startup, instead of per book)?
3. How does my code look so far (note that I still need to add the conversion options)?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone?
Advert
Old 11-25-2018, 09:45 PM   #3
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
I just saw this thread, I'll try it soon and will let you know the result.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
I just saw this thread, I'll try it soon and will let you know the result.
You will need to download the kepubify binaries to build it.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:53 AM   #5
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
You will need to download the kepubify binaries to build it.
I'm not familiar with the Caibre Plugin development, but how can I use your kepubify plugin with Calibre.

From the Preferences->Plugins page, it says I can load plugin from file (zip file), so I downloaded the `kepubify-calibre-plugin.zip` file from github calibre-plugin branch, but Calibre failed to load it and saying
Quote:
calibre, version 3.34.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>InvalidPlugin</b>:The plugin in u'D:\\kepubify-calibre-plugin.zip' is invalid. It does not contain a top-level __init__.py file

calibre 3.34 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\plugins.py", line 317, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 472, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 61, in load_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 193, in load
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 291, in _locate_code
InvalidPlugin: The plugin in u'D:\\kepubify-calibre-plugin.zip' is invalid. It does not contain a top-level __init__.py file
And you said, "You will need to download the kepubify binaries to build it."

So, how exactly can I test your kepubify calibre plugin?

UPDATE:

I got it, I have to put the `kepubify-windows-32bit.exe`(why not check x86 or x64 since you do that for linux in __init__.py file) file into the directory which contains `__init__.py` file and then archive the two files into a zip file, and then load this zip file in Calibre->Pregerences->Plugins page, and it is now successfully installed. I'll test its functions later, since I'm currently in an environment which contains empty Calibre.

As for "Conflicts with KePub Output Plugin" problem, I don't know whether you can check if Calibre enables `KePub Output Plugin` already or not and pop a window saying which one to enable.

Last edited by codychan; 11-26-2018 at 02:54 AM.
Advert
Old 11-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
codychan
Groupie

update:

I just tried to send two epub files(files size: 158.7MB+147.4MB) to Kobo Forma at one click, once using Kepub output plugin and once using Kepubify output plguin. When I tried one plugin, I uninstalled the other and restarted Calibre.

But the time spent is basically the same, 4m5s for Kepub output plugin, 4m4s for Kepubify output plugin. The time consists of both converting epub to kepub and sending the file to Kobo Forma.

So Kepubify output plugin is not actually faster?

Last edited by codychan; 11-26-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
update:

I just tried to send two epub files(files size: 158.7MB+147.4MB) to Kobo Forma at one click, once using Kepub output plugin and once using Kepubify output plguin. When I tried one plugin, I uninstalled the other once and restarted Calibre.

But the time spent is basically the same, 4m5s for Kepub output plugin, 4m4s for Kepubify output plugin. The time consists of both converting epub to kepub and sending the file to Kobo Forma.

So Kepub output plugin is not actually faster?
That's one of the issues. I'm trying to figure out how to skip the initial Epub stuff that calibre does, and also, the extraction of kepubify on every conversion slows everything down significantly. That should put it back to full speed.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That's one of the issues. I'm trying to figure out how to skip the initial Epub stuff that calibre does,
Which stuff are you trying to skip? An output plugin isn't about converting from a specific format to another. It is to allow converting from any format to the output format. Calibre is basically converting to an intermediate format and then converting that to the output format.

If you want to skip that, and transform an existing epub to kepub, then either create a user interface plugin that runs kepubify and adds the output to the library, or an alternative to the KoboTouchExtended driver that does the transformation during the send-to-device.

Note: I use the word "transform" deliberately above to differentiate from a calibre conversion. The conversion can make a lot more changes than what the KoboTouchExtended driver does, and I assume that kepubify does.
Quote:
and also, the extraction of kepubify on every conversion slows everything down significantly. That should put it back to full speed.
There are a few plugins that extract files from themselves for some purpose. The Annotations plugin is one. That code was written by the original author, but it is called during calibre startup. It only does something if the files don't exist or need to be updated. I don't know if anything from the output plugins are called at that point. It might be possible to do when the configuration options are called. That will mean it is done only once for bulk conversion.

An alternative is what the DOC input plugin does. It needs a MS Word executable and has a configuration option to set the path to the executable.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #9
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Which stuff are you trying to skip? An output plugin isn't about converting from a specific format to another. It is to allow converting from any format to the output format. Calibre is basically converting to an intermediate format and then converting that to the output format.
That's what I was thinking at first. I guess I will probably try creating a UI plugin. That will also solve the conflict with the kepub output plugin.

Quote:
If you want to skip that, and transform an existing epub to kepub, then either create a user interface plugin that runs kepubify and adds the output to the library, or an alternative to the KoboTouchExtended driver that does the transformation during the send-to-device.

Note: I use the word "transform" deliberately above to differentiate from a calibre conversion. The conversion can make a lot more changes than what the KoboTouchExtended driver does, and I assume that kepubify does.
Do you know how I can add something to the library (or at least where in the code to look)? I don't completely understand Calibre's architecture.

Quote:
There are a few plugins that extract files from themselves for some purpose. The Annotations plugin is one. That code was written by the original author, but it is called during calibre startup. It only does something if the files don't exist or need to be updated. I don't know if anything from the output plugins are called at that point. It might be possible to do when the configuration options are called. That will mean it is done only once for bulk conversion.

An alternative is what the DOC input plugin does. It needs a MS Word executable and has a configuration option to set the path to the executable.
Thanks for the pointers! I will probably go with having the user chooses the path, but I will look into the extraction on startup.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@geek1011,

I don't know whether this is useful to you or not ...

I have a few personal calibre UI plugins which contain 3rd-party executables (e.g. LAME.exe, epubcheck.jar) in their zip file. The technique I have always used for these is to do a one-off extract to a calibre temp directory (during the processing of the first epub) which I know will exist for the duration of the rest of the multi-epub batch looping. The only one that I've published in the calibre Index of Plugins which does this is my 'TTS to MP3' plugin. You could have a look at the code (utils.py/extract_executable) to see whether any of it is useful to you.

When exploding-manipulating-rezipping epubs I always use calibre's standard container functions because Kovid's already thought of and solved more potential problems than I could ever think up on my own. (Not only that, but he keeps them all up-to-date without me having to lift a finger ) All exploded epubs in the same batch automatically share the same parent temp directory, so I use this parent as the calibre temp directory to extract the 3rd-party executables to. It also gets auto-deleted when calibre is closed.

In addition, FWIW, I have a personal 'Epub to Kepub' calibre UI plugin which uses a QProgressDialog to loop around a selection of calibre epubs, format-shifting to kepub then auto-adding the kepub into the calibre library. I have no intention of ever publishing it because it's designed to satisfy my own kepub whims, not just those included in the KoboTouchExtended driver or in kepubify. Nevertheless, you're more than welcome to have a look if it might be helpful from a general UI plugin POV.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That's what I was thinking at first. I guess I will probably try creating a UI plugin. That will also solve the conflict with the kepub output plugin.

Do you know how I can add something to the library (or at least where in the code to look)? I don't completely understand Calibre's architecture.
I'll have a look for it. But, off the top of my head, two plugins that do this are FanFicFare and Obok (part of the DRM tools). The former is huge, but it can add newly created books to an existing calibre book.

Obok is a lot simpler but is intended to add a new book from scratch. I can't remember what it does if the book already exists in the library. I have a version of it that doesn't do the DRM removal. I've been meaning to add an option to let it add the book as a kepub instead of epub. At the time someone did the last rewrite of Obok, there wasn't much much point in doing that as the other plugins needed to fully handle kepubs didn't exist. Now, they do and if the kepub is based on epub3, I tend to add it to the library as a kepub as that works better on the Kobo devices.
Quote:
Thanks for the pointers! I will probably go with having the user chooses the path, but I will look into the extraction on startup.
The other thing you could do is have a user interface plugin to install kepubify. The output plugin could check for that and error if it doesn't exist. Plus it can supply all the paths needed. A little messy, but it should work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
To add books to calibre from file paths in a UI plugin, do something like:

Code:
self.iactions['Add Books']._add_books(['/path/to/book/file'], False)
see actions/add.py for the various functions you can use.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@geek1011,

I don't know whether this is useful to you or not ...

I have a few personal calibre UI plugins which contain 3rd-party executables (e.g. LAME.exe, epubcheck.jar) in their zip file. The technique I have always used for these is to do a one-off extract to a calibre temp directory (during the processing of the first epub) which I know will exist for the duration of the rest of the multi-epub batch looping. The only one that I've published in the calibre Index of Plugins which does this is my 'TTS to MP3' plugin. You could have a look at the code (utils.py/extract_executable) to see whether any of it is useful to you.

When exploding-manipulating-rezipping epubs I always use calibre's standard container functions because Kovid's already thought of and solved more potential problems than I could ever think up on my own. (Not only that, but he keeps them all up-to-date without me having to lift a finger ) All exploded epubs in the same batch automatically share the same parent temp directory, so I use this parent as the calibre temp directory to extract the 3rd-party executables to. It also gets auto-deleted when calibre is closed.

In addition, FWIW, I have a personal 'Epub to Kepub' calibre UI plugin which uses a QProgressDialog to loop around a selection of calibre epubs, format-shifting to kepub then auto-adding the kepub into the calibre library. I have no intention of ever publishing it because it's designed to satisfy my own kepub whims, not just those included in the KoboTouchExtended driver or in kepubify. Nevertheless, you're more than welcome to have a look if it might be helpful from a general UI plugin POV.
I got your PM. Thanks so much!
Old 11-26-2018, 09:34 PM   #14
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
To add books to calibre from file paths in a UI plugin, do something like:

Code:
self.iactions['Add Books']._add_books(['/path/to/book/file'], False)
see actions/add.py for the various functions you can use.
OK, thanks! That was exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #15
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'll have a look for it. But, off the top of my head, two plugins that do this are FanFicFare and Obok (part of the DRM tools). The former is huge, but it can add newly created books to an existing calibre book.

Obok is a lot simpler but is intended to add a new book from scratch. I can't remember what it does if the book already exists in the library. I have a version of it that doesn't do the DRM removal. I've been meaning to add an option to let it add the book as a kepub instead of epub. At the time someone did the last rewrite of Obok, there wasn't much much point in doing that as the other plugins needed to fully handle kepubs didn't exist. Now, they do and if the kepub is based on epub3, I tend to add it to the library as a kepub as that works better on the Kobo devices.

The other thing you could do is have a user interface plugin to install kepubify. The output plugin could check for that and error if it doesn't exist. Plus it can supply all the paths needed. A little messy, but it should work.
OK, thanks! I think I now have all the info I need for now.

P.S. Can you take a look at my last post in the 4.11.12019 thread? That firmware is really, really unusual.