Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-09-2016, 02:29 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Forgive a very minor correction, but this device is using a 20cm eInk screen (all eInk screen are exact numbers in cm). 20cm is actually 7.9", not 7.8". It's the same size as the screen of the iPad Mini.
HarryT,
I come up just shy of 7.9".
It looks like they are rounding down to avoid any potential headaches.
I came up with 7.87402.
No one will complain if it is a bit over but they would complain if it is 3.302 mm too small.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #17
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
HarryT,
I come up just shy of 7.9".
It looks like they are rounding down to avoid any potential headaches.
I came up with 7.87402.
No one will complain if it is a bit over but they would complain if it is 3.302 mm too small.
Would the 20cm size include the portion just under the flush bezel?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Forgive a very minor correction, but this device is using a 20cm eInk screen (all eInk screen are exact numbers in cm). 20cm is actually 7.9", not 7.8". It's the same size as the screen of the iPad Mini.
While we're on the topic of metric vs imperial, how big is the 8" E-ink screen?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
While we're on the topic of metric vs imperial, how big is the 8" E-ink screen?
To answer my own question:

A wholesaler identified the 8" E-ink screen as also measuring 20.32 cm (exact same size, basically).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Would the 20cm size include the portion just under the flush bezel?
No clue Nate.
Advert
Old 08-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
It's hard to believe this large ereader still clocks in at less than 8 ounces. Impressive.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #22
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Any indication if it's still using the ix6 cpu?
It might be using the ix7, but that's just speculation based on the smaller battery and yet similar battery life. See this post.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #23
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
I'm still waiting for a 6'' Aura One... I have to replace my Aura 6'' with a device that have a ink-carta screen, with or without SD card.

But with this, I admit, I will pass. No SD card? Low capacity battery? The only good news is the 300 ppi and the 7.8'' screen... Otherwise, I don't think that as a great and advantageous replacement for my H2O... I hope the processor of the One makes a huge difference between those 2 devices.
WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #24
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Thank you, Kobo. Folks have been crying out for screens larger than 6 inches. Your product line gives us choice. Amazon, larger screen doesn't necessarily mean 9.7 inches, AGAIN. Just give us the option of a bigger screen!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #25
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
No clue Nate.
Ahem.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thank you, Kobo. Folks have been crying out for screens larger than 6 inches. Your product line gives us choice. Amazon, larger screen doesn't necessarily mean 9.7 inches, AGAIN. Just give us the option of a bigger screen!
Having gone from 6" to 6.8" makes a noticeable difference. I like the extra screen space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #27
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Looks like kobo nailed the basics and whilst not as light as I'd of hoped the texture on the back looks grippy enough to compensate.

Doesn't seem to be a flexible substrate so that's a tad disappointing but I guess möbius is just too expensive for a mass market device.
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Ahem.
So sorry chris. My bad.
Obviously I really have no clue as to bezels or posters.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #29
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Agreed,I mean 6" doesn't pose a problem for reading but it does often feel for me constrained and I wish I could fit a lot more text on the page at my preferred font size.

Who knows Amazon may want to counter-act with their own 8" device ,there were rumours of a liquavista based 8" device coming out in October...
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:22 PM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Could you give a link? Reading the Carta data sheet, it says diplays from 1.44 to 13.3" which doesn't look like an exact number of cms?

Last edited by John F; 08-09-2016 at 05:48 PM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote