Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Yes, indeed; or Adobe would need to be willing to require an internet connection the moment the book opens. I still feel that we're heading that way, but it won't (probably) be implemented in this version of ADEPT.
By "MUST be able to be read offline" I mean in terms of what the consumer will accept. I don't think people will accept the need for a connection every time you start reading any more than a connection the WHOLE time. Either way, it will cause an unpleasant experience that will immediately turn off readers.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #17
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I know, but the music and gaming industries have been known to make the mistake of greatly annoying paying customers, trying to curb piracy, while the pirates themselves didn't have any of the problems the customers faced. It actually made the pirated copy BETTER than the original one.

I could see the book industry blundering into the same trap.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Alf is still my friend

Alf works with current ePubs downloaded to ADE3.0 that is authorized on this machine to my email address. So whatever Adobe has done isn't a problem yet.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
So whatever Adobe has done isn't a problem yet.
Probably wouldn't be until Content Server 5 use becomes wide spread on the back end (maybe not even then).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:36 AM   #20
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Probably wouldn't be until Content Server 5 use becomes wide spread on the back end (maybe not even then).
I use readers that are *capable* of using an epub, but I don't use them that way - my collection moved from Rocket format to Mobi format, and I've never bothered to try epubs, for one very personal reason:

*** I consider ADE to be a virus. I don't allow it to be installed on any of my systems. This new release has done nothing to change that opinion.****

I suppose I could download the epub versions from Baen or Smashwords, but the mobi versions have served me well, and I'd still need to deal with Amazon anyway (even if only for library checkouts).
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 AM   #21
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Also, from the blog link:

What does this mean?

- Can a book still be downloaded using ADE 2.x to be transferred to an older readers?
- If not, and the book *REQUIRES* ADE 3.x, can it still be read on the older readers?

If a book protected by the new DRM scheme requires both ADE 3.x *and* a new (or updated) reader to be read, it's going to cause a lot of problems if many stores are going to use this new scheme.
Nope, e-books reader will have to be update to use the new drm scheme.
And, hopefully, that will cause said drm scheme to make a flop.

Oh dear, that's going to be trouble !
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:15 AM   #22
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Alf works with current ePubs downloaded to ADE3.0 that is authorized on this machine to my email address. So whatever Adobe has done isn't a problem yet.
Wouldn't it depend onwhether the book has the new encryption incorporated? If it doesn't I would assume ADE 3 will revert back to using ADE 2 algorithms. I could be on thin ice though.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:32 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Yes, indeed; or Adobe would need to be willing to require an internet connection the moment the book opens. I still feel that we're heading that way, but it won't (probably) be implemented in this version of ADEPT.
If that's the case, a lot of people won't be able to read their (new?) books anymore, because either their device isn't internet enabled or they're not connected to the internet due to lack of a dataplan and/or wifi availability...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:34 AM   #24
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
If that's the case, a lot of people won't be able to read their (new?) books anymore, because either their device isn't internet enabled or they're not connected to the internet due to lack of a dataplan and/or wifi availability...
Yup, would piss up customers too much for that to happen.

I read in métro where there is no network...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:41 AM   #25
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yup, would piss up customers too much for that to happen.

I read in métro where there is no network...
You need to write your mayor. Cities like Hong Kong, Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Seoul, Pusan, and New York City have implemented WiFi in their subways.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #26
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
You need to write your mayor. Cities like Hong Kong, Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Seoul, Pusan, and New York City have implemented WiFi in their subways.
No, he needs to use a reader and format that doesn't require full time connectivity. If the new Adobe scheme is dependent on always being connected, then it will fail. Full stop.

Users will find alternatives that don't require connectivity. If for no other reason than battery life. (And there are at least a half dozen other reasons.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
What a baffling release. 'More secure DRM' is the first feature mentioned, no mention of ePub3 (though vertical text is part of that), and who cares what compiler they used for Mac OS?

As for adopting the new DRM scheme, who is going to blink first? Are publishers in a position to insist that vendors use it? If not, why would any vendor adopt it, when all it can do is diminish the number of devices that can consume the content and cause customer support issues? And it is difficult to envision that the 'more secure' DRM will be any more convenient for end users.

Amazon has to be ROTFL-ing.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Amazon has to be ROTFL-ing.
And working to increase capacity.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
As for adopting the new DRM scheme, who is going to blink first? Are publishers in a position to insist that vendors use it? If not, why would any vendor adopt it, when all it can do is diminish the number of devices that can consume the content and cause customer support issues?
When they got rid of Content Server 3 DRM and moved to CS4 they didn't give anyone a choice. They stopped supporting CS3 and you had to "upgrade" to CS4. For consumers you had a 9 month period where you could convert the books you had to the new DRM or you were out of luck (unless you still have an activated copy of Acrobat 6 or 7 that the books were encrypted to). Whether they could still pull that, or would even try, in a much expanded market (with way more books in consumer hands) or not it's hard to say. I wouldn't think so, but Adobe can be pretty arrogant.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
When they got rid of Content Server 3 DRM and moved to CS4 they didn't give anyone a choice. They stopped supporting CS3 and you had to "upgrade" to CS4.
A very good point. I can't see any attempt to get consumers to 'update' all their purchased ePubs to CS5 and a new DRM scheme working.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote