Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Xia
Zealot
Xia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 (x2)
$0.99 for Kindle: Deadly Gamble: The First Charlie Parker Mystery by Connie Shelton

Deadly Gamble: The First Charlie Parker Mystery (Charlie Parker Mystery Series)
by Connie Shelton
http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Gamble-...s=digital-text
~4 out of 5 stars, based on 6 reviews
$0.99 (the paperback is $5.50)

Editorial Reviews
From Booklist

Albuquerque CPA Charlie Parker (female, despite the name) handles the business side of RJP Investigations while her brother, Ron, does the detecting. When Ron is out of town, however, Stacy North, who eloped with Charlie's fiance, Brad, 10 years earlier, comes calling, hoping to hire someone to find her missing Rolex watch. Charlie reluctantly takes the case and soon finds the watch in a pawn shop, where the thief, a man with whom Stacy had been having an affair, sold it. Soon the lover is dead, and Stacy is an obvious suspect. Charlie sticks with the case and finds herself involved with still more murder. This is a well-plotted debut mystery with a nice surprise ending and some excellent characterizations. Charlie, in particular, is slick, appealing, and nobody's fool--just what readers want in an amateur sleuth. Look forward to the next installment in what shapes up to be a promising series. Stuart Miller

Review
An accountant for a private investigation firm is unwittingly drawn into the drama surrounding an old friend's life when a search for a missing watch evolves into a murder mystery. Charlie finds the case increasingly complicated and beyond his control as events involve him in a dangerous ploy. -- Midwest Book Review
Xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'm about 2/3rds the way through this, the first of now eleven "Charlie Parker Mysteries". Connie Shelton's tale is an easy, breezy read that's fun, though hardly literary or deep. Like Sue Grafton's ABC series, the hero is a woman detective who comments on everyday things in her life, and her feelings of vulnerability as she interacts with suspects, and the murder mystery unfolds.

I'm sure I'll tackle another in the series after this one is done.

Currently, Amazon has this back on for 99¢; and even in Canada it's just $1.29 with Whispernet delivery (obviously the normal $2 Whispernet "tax" doesn't apply). It's also at Kobobooks for Can$1.39 and Smashwords for $1.59. Well recommended as a cheap summer read or a weekend diversion ... and a fine introduction to future pleasures.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I got this book back in March during e-book week (the author offered the first three in the series up for free).

I enjoyed this book - and the other two - so much that I bought the remainder of the series.

They are good "who-dun-its" with good action and character development.

I definitely recommend this book - and the entire series, for that matter. Good for a quick, enjoyable read, IMNSHO.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Thanks for mentioning that - I bought it them, also, but never got it downloaded.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:51 AM   #5
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
This is also .99 at Barnes and Noble, just FYI. Also, it seemed like the other books in the series are cheaper at B&N than Amazon. I didn't see this first book on iBooks. I bought the first one and am hoping I will have a new series to read! Thanks for posting this.
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:06 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Amazon still charges an extra $2 here in Australia...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote