Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, I meant that I'm not sure whether erotica is a subset of romance, or romance a subset of erotica, but I'm pretty sure that it's one or the other .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, does everyone agree with

1. drop Historical Fiction since it is contained in the other genres

2. drop Bio's because it is contained in Non-fiction

3. Give Thriller it's own month

4. Move Fantasy so it is not so close to science fiction which would be 2 months later

5. Just leave the definition of classic alone and let the nomination threads determine acceptability of an ebook

If we do the above I think that leaves one empty spot in the line up. Here's the updated proposal based on the above:

January 2010
Science Fiction (rivets/science)
February 2010
Romance
March 2010
Nonfiction
April 2010
Humor
May 2010
Classic
June 2010
Thriller/Suspense
July 2010

Fantasy (trees/magic)
August 2010
Wild Card (any genre)
September 2010
Mystery/Crime
October 2010
Horror
November 2010

December 2010
Classic

Should the Wild Card month state not a genre's defined for other months? I can go either way there.

Feedback?

BOb
January 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy (from MR)
February 2010
Mystery/Thriller
March 2010
Nonfiction
April 2010
Humor
May 2010
Classic
June 2010
Romance (from MR)
July 2010
Autobiography/Biography
August 2010
Any book not at MR
September 2010
Mystery/Thriller
October 2010
Horror
November 2010
Science Fiction/Fantasy (not from MR)
December 2010
Any book uploaded to MR

This is what I want to have. I think separating SF from fantasy and mystery from thriller is not a good idea. And I do like the idea of having some books just from the books at MR and some not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, I meant that I'm not sure whether erotica is a subset of romance, or romance a subset of erotica, but I'm pretty sure that it's one or the other .
Romance & erotica is like SF & fantasy in that they can be lumped together but they really are seperate.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #109
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Hmmm... that is an interesting idea and more fits in with the term "Wild Card"... I could rearrange the months so December is the "Wild Card" month... wild card would be a no nominations month where we just put up a vote of all those books nominated for that year which didn't win.
When I suggested a Wild Card month, I wasn't thinking of using it as an also ran month. Those books that didn't win previously could be included but it should not be limited to the "losers" as it were. Who knows, someone may want to suggest a cook book or business book which aren't really covered in the other month's category.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Heck, we could be reading the dictionary that's posted to MR for one month.
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #111
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I like BOb's list.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #112
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Heck, we could be reading the dictionary that's posted to MR for one month.
Would you vote to read the dictionary? Stop being so JSWolf!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #113
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
So, does everyone agree with

1. drop Historical Fiction since it is contained in the other genres

2. drop Bio's because it is contained in Non-fiction

3. Give Thriller it's own month

4. Move Fantasy so it is not so close to science fiction which would be 2 months later

5. Just leave the definition of classic alone and let the nomination threads determine acceptability of an ebook

If we do the above I think that leaves one empty spot in the line up. Here's the updated proposal based on the above:

January 2010
Science Fiction (rivets/science)
February 2010
Romance
March 2010
Nonfiction
April 2010
Humor
May 2010
Classic
June 2010
Thriller/Suspense
July 2010

Fantasy (trees/magic)
August 2010
Wild Card (any genre)
September 2010
Mystery/Crime
October 2010
Horror
November 2010

December 2010
Classic

Should the Wild Card month state not a genre's defined for other months? I can go either way there.

Feedback?

BOb
Looks good. The only thing I would like to suggest is to "make" a definition now for "classic" as it would save all the extra reading through posts during the nomination process. If it is clear what the "Book Club definition" is (meaning that we chose what we are defining it is only for the Book Club), it would just save so much time and frustration among posters.

How about any MR uploaded book for November?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Would you vote to read the dictionary? Stop being so JSWolf!
Well we did vote for a book about a dictionary.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #115
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Well we did vote for a book about a dictionary.
Not the same thing and I recall some folks found it an interesting read.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #116
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Not the same thing and I recall some folks found it an interesting read.
But you never know.. maybe a book like a cook book or a dictionary will get voted for just as a joke.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #117
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Didn't we have something about MR authors at one point or is it my imagination? Not necessarily uploaded to MR. For instance, this might be a good time to read Flash Forward (I haven't check it's availability in all formats) or something by another author who has posted here at least once. That could be our November category.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #118
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Didn't we have something about MR authors at one point or is it my imagination? Not necessarily uploaded to MR. For instance, this might be a good time to read Flash Forward (I haven't check it's availability in all formats) or something by another author who has posted here at least once. That could be our November category.
Flash Forward is nominated this month.

The problem I see with having MR Authors as a category is it's kinda limited.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #119
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If we look at the list I made up, all the months are filled.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #120
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
If we look at the list I made up, all the months are filled.
Yes, but personally I like BOb's list better.