Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Unhappy Entourage eDGe - mini USB Broken

Well here is my first problem with the Entourage eDGe.

It won't connect as a storage device via mini-USB when connected to my Windows XP laptops.

I have tried 2 seperate laptops. The device shows up with the name "Android" on USB recognition. Unfortunately, it never registers as a Mass Storage device.

When I open Device Manager, it shows as a USB Composite Device with the Red Exclamation mark.

I thought that maybe I needed the Android drivers but the Entourage Customer Service says that it is an Open Issue. Apparently their engineers are aware of the problem and a fix for it will be in a future Maintenance Release. Also, I found out that they disabled ADB in their Production versions. I guess that connected Development for the Edge is out of the picture for now.

Pretty bummed right now about the mini-USB.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Did you look at the notification on the edge, and select "USB connected", and then click on the "Mount" button in the dialog that comes up?
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

It never says "USB Connected" so I can choose that.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

So you don't see the USB Notification Icon on the top menu bar, on the Edge's LCD screen?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
paulckennedy
Addict

Nope! Nothing. I hear the notification of a USB device being inserted by the computer but Nothing on the eDGe Notification Bar on the LCD screen.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Jim Lester
Evangelist

Well that puts me out of ideas, sorry.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Paul, I heard someone worked around this problem by connecting the eDGe to a computer running a Linux-based OS. Haven't tried it yet but it's worth a shot.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
paulckennedy
Addict

It is not a big issue for me right now. It definitely isn't if they disabled ADB.

My main uses for the mini-USB would be for using the Edge as a live Debug environment for Android program development and as Hook for applications such as DoubleTwist and Calibre.

I can do file transfers to the eDGe for now using the SD card or USB drives for everything. It just is more cumbersome.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
fibrou
fibrou began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
I am somewhat confused as to the potential solutions for the connectivity to windows pc problem. Help me understand what needs to be done by enTourage? Is it an update on their android OS version? Or is it a USB driver specific to the eDGe? Accessing the SD card via USB connection is a high priority item for me.
fibrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Is this an issue just for Windows? It's working fine for me in Mac OS X. (Although, files won't seem to transfer if they have punctuation or symbols in the file name.)
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edge problems, entourage edge