Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
bobodude
Connoisseur
bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BooX M96
Kindleberry ?

Hi all,

I found some info on the web a few months ago, about using a kindle as a raspberry pi screen,

and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this ?

I have a kindle dx graphite, however have mostly found tutorials for other kindle models (kindle3, 4, paperwhite, ...), would this also work on the DX(G)?

Another question, is what can you do with a kindleberry? what kind of programs could you run?
(what interests me, is the possibility to use mouse/keyboard, so are there text editors on rapberry pi's ? (I've nevre used one...))

(Another question, would this also work with other e-readers, like onyx M96 (It seems to work on other andoid tablets, does anyone know if usb tethering is enabled on the M96?), or Sony DPT-S1?)

Thanks in advance !!!

PS: Something like this looks quite cool !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh-DIcZ6BA4

(but I haven't found a tutorial for the dx, would it be the same steps as for the kinlde 3?)

PPS: has anyone tried this ?: http://www.adafruit.com/product/1303

Last edited by bobodude; 09-12-2015 at 06:46 AM.
bobodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobodude View Post
Hi all,
Another question, is what can you do with a kindleberry? what kind of programs could you run?
(what interests me, is the possibility to use mouse/keyboard, so are there text editors on rapberry pi's ? (I've nevre used one...))
If the Kindle acts merely as a screen for your Raspberry Pi, then you could run anything.

The Raspberry Pi is not a device with a locked OS and in fact it usually isn't shipped with any particular OS preinstalled. You can load the OS you want on an SD card (they recommend 8Gb of class 4) and use it on your Raspberry Pi. A popular solution is to go with a Linux distro such has Raspbian.

Raspberry Pies are awesome little devices! I'm working on a project centered around it at the moment and I'm loving it.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:37 AM   #3
bobodude
Connoisseur
bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hype, thanks for your answers !!!

yes, the pi's do look really cool !

My main interest is to use a pi with a kindle dx (no tutorial found as of yet ...), having the ability to use a text editor and keyboard/mouse combo ...
Old 09-12-2015, 05:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Developer's forum, where you're much more likely to get an answer to this type of question.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:06 AM   #5
bobodude
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Moved to the Developer's forum, where you're much more likely to get an answer to this type of question.

(thanks, thought about posting t there, now I know ...)
Old 01-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
sdspieg
Connoisseur
sdspieg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle 3
Any news on this front? Can anybody who actually has this kindeberry pi solution working share some experiences? And are there really no working alternatives out there to use our kindles as displays with keyboards to some some writing outdoors?

And let me also, since we're on the subject, re-ask a question I asked on the github 'issues' page of 'Typewriter' , (see http://www.shubhro.com/2015/01/30/wr...azon-kindle/)- : Like you, I would love to use the Kindle screen to do some word processing outside. Working in the experimental browser would be fine to me, but I'd obviously much rather NOT take my notebook with me. My ideal 'office' would be outside (say: on the beach), with my Goal Zero solar panel powering my (4G-internet-connected) android phone, hooked up to a bluetooth keyboard, and whereby I would then use some Android word processing app that would display on my kindle. Would such a setup be possible with this app? If not, do you have any other ideas? Thanks"

I figure if anybody can answer these questions - it's you guys (and gals)...

Last edited by sdspieg; 01-12-2017 at 02:39 PM.
sdspieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
sdspieg
Connoisseur
sdspieg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle 3
Nobody?
sdspieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspieg View Post
Nobody?
Evidently not, at least not anyone that is active on this forum any longer.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #9
wodan16
Enthusiast
wodan16 began at the beginning.

Device: kt3
hi sdspieg,

VNC Viewer?

Wiki-link : https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/DX(..._Browser_Hacks

I do not have a DXG but from what i can see, on the DX wiki page, everything is already good to go.

Wild guess of mine :
CLIENT
-Jailbreak
-USBNetwork
-Kterm
-VncViewer (point to vnc server)

SERVER
-start vnc server (probably should be started before pointing the client ;-) )

Last edited by wodan16; 03-18-2017 at 07:37 AM.
wodan16 is offline   Reply With Quote