Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Books in Stanza on Ipod Touch through win7

I used to be able to transfer books from Stanza on my iMac to my iPod Touch. Now I don't have an iMac anymore, but a Win 7 PC and I can't figure out why I can't transfer books. I've added Stanza and Bonjour to allowed applications, enabled sharing in Stanza, and turned off the firewall in Windows just to see if it helped (didn't). Neither made any difference, Stanza on my ipod just keeps running search. Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong and what I can do?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Run out and get a new iMac?

But seriously.... if I recall correctly with Stanza you need to have the books open that you want to transfer. Although, I admit, it was quite a while ago since I have used that.

Do you have calibre? If so, you can use the calibre content server.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Run out and get a new iMac?

But seriously.... if I recall correctly with Stanza you need to have the books open that you want to transfer. Although, I admit, it was quite a while ago since I have used that.

Do you have calibre? If so, you can use the calibre content server.

BOb
Well, an iMac is kinda expensive for me right now I managed to sell the old one, faulty HD disk an all, at a resonable price so I can buy a new PC with win 7 (using my netbook right now)

And yeah, I do have books open in Stanza, all four of them

And I can't get the calibre content server to work either... Used to work, but now I get the message 'library empty' (it's not). And I do think I use the correct local IP and everything. I gave up on that to use Stanza, and neither works

Edit: okay, I tried to be nice, but really I'm

Last edited by Ea; 04-06-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
And I can't get the calibre content server to work either... Used to work, but now I get the message 'library empty' (it's not). And I do think I use the correct local IP and everything. I gave up on that to use Stanza, and neither works

Edit: okay, I tried to be nice, but really I'm
Are you sure you are using the correct IP address? So, does Stanza use Bonjour? You don't have to put in the IP address right. Once again, it's been a long time since I tried to do this.

BOb
Old 04-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Are you sure you are using the correct IP address? So, does Stanza use Bonjour? You don't have to put in the IP address right. Once again, it's been a long time since I tried to do this.

BOb
Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I mean it's supposed to be the local network address for calibre - which I think I'm using (192.168.1.1 - should be it). According to the 'help' I found on the 'Net Stanza is supposed to use Bonjour. Thanks for your help in any case
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I mean it's supposed to be the local network address for calibre - which I think I'm using (192.168.1.1 - should be it). According to the 'help' I found on the 'Net Stanza is supposed to use Bonjour. Thanks for your help in any case
Did you look in your services control panel to verify that Bonjour service was running? Do you have the most recent version of Bonjour installed?

BOb
Old 04-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

An alternative method is to set up a Gmail account, attach the eBook to an email addressed to your Gmail account, then use Stanza to open the Gmail email and download the eBook. It does require a WiFi connection to the iPod touch/iPhone.

I use this method with my Windows 7 PC and my iPod to transfer deDRMed books. It is a bit kluge, but then a lot of things iPod touch related are kluge.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Did you look in your services control panel to verify that Bonjour service was running? Do you have the most recent version of Bonjour installed?

BOb
I have the most recent version installed now. Haven't helped. Not sure what you mean by 'services control panel' - perhaps 'task manager'? (in that case Bonjour doesn't show up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
An alternative method is to set up a Gmail account, attach the eBook to an email addressed to your Gmail account, then use Stanza to open the Gmail email and download the eBook. It does require a WiFi connection to the iPod touch/iPhone.

I use this method with my Windows 7 PC and my iPod to transfer deDRMed books. It is a bit kluge, but then a lot of things iPod touch related are kluge.
I'll probably try this tomorrow (late now). Thanks!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I just copied a few books over to Stanza yesterday from my Windows 7 PC so I know it works I do remember having some issues getting it configured the first time.

Make sure you start the content sever in Calibre and then with your web browser on your pc go to: http://127.0.0.1:8080/ <-- 8080 is in Calibre in case you changed the server port. If that comes up with your Calibre books then you know that part is working. If not, there's your problem. Instead of 127.0.01 you can also use your sharable ip address to then verify you're talking outside your pc.

I think when I was first trying to get this to work I create a book source. But now Stanza sees my PC running Calibre.
Code:
 You can add a Book source and enter your url as http://your_ip:port/stanza  In my case that was http://192.168.1.66:8080/
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard

Well, calibre content server works with local host, but not with my alleged local IP address (as according to ipconfig command) - and it's 192.168.1.1. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Make sure your ip address is correct. Is that the address that shows for IPv4 Address?

Usually the .1 or .254 addresses are what your gateway takes.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
Ea
Wizard

The address that shows for my IPv4 is 192.168.1.100 - and trying that in my browser just gets an error (no such connection) - doesn't work in Stanza either.

Edit: yes, my gateway is the .1
Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
Ea
Wizard

Just realised it's well past midnight - I'll get back to any suggestions and ideas tomorrow
Old 04-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
tyche
Addict

Make sure to test the same way. ex.

http://192.168.1.100:8080

if http://127.0.0.1:8080 works the other has to it's the same machine.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
Make sure to test the same way. ex.

http://192.168.1.100:8080

if http://127.0.0.1:8080 works the other has to it's the same machine.
Works fine from my computer, but not in either the Safari browser or the Stanza app in the ipod Touch. I keep getting time-out errors or can't connect errors.