Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
JerryEF
JerryEF is on a distinguished road

Device: DellX51v / Amazon Kindle
How do you hold your Kindle when reading?

Ok now, I am going to get REALLY picky...

I am right handed and always hold my Kindle in my left hand. I always hold my PDA in my left hand. I normally hold my cellphone in my left hand (except when texting). I normally hold pbooks in my left hand. Kindle has the page turning paddles on the left side.

I normally read newspapers / magazines on my Kindle while eating breakfast and lunch. Reading with the left hand and eating/drinking with the right seems like a natural. So why is the 5-way controller (Kindle K2) on the right side (or the scroll wheel on the K1)? With the new newspaper interface on the K2, you must operate the 5-way controller (right hand) to move from article to article. On the K1 you need to press the scroll wheel to select an article. It would seem to make more sense to have the control on the left side. It takes two hands to navigate the daily periodicals --- or I must learn to eat with my left hand.

Is there some deep ergonomic reason for this? Or am I just weird?

Picky, but luvin my Kindle...
JerryEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryEF View Post
It takes two hands to navigate the daily periodicals --- or I must learn to eat with my left hand.
Nope, you just need to learn to read a book -- rather than a periodical -- on your Kindle while eating.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I don't have a Kindle, but when I use my Sony at mealtime, I leave it flat on the table. Do you hold the Kindle in order to have the screen at a certain angle for reading? Or maybe because there isn't a good place to put the device? I think the reason I leave my Reader flat on the table is because that's what I typically did with a paper book. Otherwise, I use both hands to hold the Reader.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I am also a "hold left", eat/drink right-handed person. Maybe the Kindle was designed by left-handed people? Works for them.
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:41 AM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

i read books and all left handed too. maybe the control is on the right side because from looking at the new kindle it seems where the control would be is where my thumb might want to rest or a number of lefty reading people like to rest their thumb?
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 AM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I do the same thing... I find books are really best at meal time.

I like the new ... joystick? but it can be a real slow process to find a link sometimes. I find I accidentally highlight a LOT.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
Seant018
Enthusiast
Seant018 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I was always changing positions with my Sony Reader. I could hold it in my left hand, right hand, both hands, flat on the table, any pose that felt most comfortable at the moment haha.
Seant018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
grisjuan
Enthusiast
grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS
I just received mine and after 1 hour of testing different handholds, I find that I use 2 hands: left hand on upper left corner, right hand on lower right corner.

It is so smooth that there's nothing to grab on to. It's a bit awkward to hold with one hand, my thumb wants to go on the screen. Maybe I just need more practice, but so far I'm not impressed with the ergonomics.
grisjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I have the Kindle I and I'm a righty who usually holds books with my left. I prefer having the control on the right because it's easier for me to manipulate it with my right hand and I spend a lot more time reading and turning pages, which is easy to do on either side, than I do using the clickity wheel. I don't mind setting down my cup or my fork for a few seconds to manage that where I might mind having it in bumping-distance of my hand.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Soon as I win the lotto I plan to hire someone to hold the reader for me
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote