Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
46137 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Why does RTF filesize increase?

I'm sure this has been answered but can't find it.

If you take a RTF file then format it the file size keeps increasing.

I am sure it is storing the find and replace data

For example I took a plain text file then saved it as RTF. Came out at 65k.

Then used find and replace to replace double spaces with single spaces. Out to 112k. Next find and replace double line breaks and became 182k. Every time you find and replace the file size increase.

I always then save as plain text... down to about 30k, resave as RTF and finally only 50k with all of the extras removed. The problem is tho' any formatting is lost, headings bold etc with the final TXT. Is there anyway to minimise RTF file size?
46137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Drop the RTF file into Book Designer and make an LRF book. This is very compact, and you have the option of adding pictures, a table of contents etc.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
46137 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Thanks for that.

Its just how I use my documents is that I quite often edit them, add bits so like to keep them as RTFs.

I am sure there is a simple way to minimise file size, but have no idea how!!!
46137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
What program are you using to edit? In my experience, using word processors like NeoOffice or Microsoft Word tends to produce results similar to yours because they add hidden code to the file during formating.

If however, I use a simple text editor that handle RTF (example TextEdit on my Mac or Wordpad or Jarte on a Windows machine), the file size doesn't get so out of control.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46137 View Post
I'm sure this has been answered but can't find it.

If you take a RTF file then format it the file size keeps increasing.
Are you using word. Can you track changes in an RTF? YEs, you can, I just tried it. Make sure "Track Changes" is disabled when editing your document or it will grow for every change.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Drop the RTF file into Book Designer and make an LRF book. This is very compact, and you have the option of adding pictures, a table of contents etc.
Before you do that, don't forget to setup Book Cleaner using the Book Cleaner files posted in a sticky.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:58 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The best way to "strip down" Word RTF files is to load them, and then resave them, in WordPad. This removes all the extraneous material from them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The best way to "strip down" Word RTF files is to load them, and then resave them, in WordPad. This removes all the extraneous material from them.
Including all metadata. Wordpad is a poor choice if you want to preserve any metadata.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yeah, that is a drawback of WordPad. Is there another app that you can suggest that leaves the meta data but still slims the file down?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Slim it down and THEN add the metadata.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, but if it needs editing again later the meta data would have to be re-added.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

True, you could always do that.

I think, though, the best answer is to simply load it into BD and generate an LRF book. Takes only a few minutes to do and that way you can have pictures, a TOC, etc.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Oh I agree, but I want to archive the things in RTF -- I'm fairly confident in the format's longevity, you see.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What I do for archival these days is, after I've created my nice book in BD, I export it from BD as HTML.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Keep you book files in calibre which stores metadata separately in its database and writes it to the ebook files whenver you save them to disk or send them to your reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote