Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Probable new Kindle owner

Ok,

I think I have decided to put my lotto winnings toward a Kindle. I will be placing the order tommorow, most likley. I want to sleep on it first.

Question, I have been getting LIT books from Fictionwise and converting them to LRF for the Sony. Is there any way to convert the LIT books to .mobi so I can read them on the Kindle? Mobipocket software doesn't seem to do it.

Thanks,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I think there is a lit2mobi around here somewhere. Otherwise if you use Convert Lit to explode the Lit file you can load the OPF file into Mobi Creator & in a few clicks have a Mobi prc.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Search for tubes for ConvertLit, and may the force be with you. Be prepared to explain away files named "clit" on your system to those who might stumble across them.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Here ya go, lit2mobi is part of Mobiperl (don't know if the results are on par with lit2lrf, I've never tried it)...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=lit2mobi
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:46 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok,

I think I have decided to put my lotto winnings toward a Kindle. I will be placing the order tommorow, most likley. I want to sleep on it first.

Question, I have been getting LIT books from Fictionwise and converting them to LRF for the Sony. Is there any way to convert the LIT books to .mobi so I can read them on the Kindle? Mobipocket software doesn't seem to do it.

Thanks,
BOb
You can probably also use BD for converting lits to mobi and read them on Kindle.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
You can probably also use BD for converting lits to mobi and read them on Kindle.
Don't use BD for this. I think BD's support for mobipocket format is rather bad -- it only supports the older prc features. Just use ConvertLit/lit2mobi as others suggested.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Yes, but it's easy and quick to drop a lit file into BD, then save the result as an html0 file. Then you can convert it to mobi, using HarryT's tutorial on making mobi books.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the advice folks. I am having second thoughts about getting the Kindle. For one I was going to sell my PRS-500 but if I am only buying Kindle books I can't share them in any way with my son. So, I may wait to see what Astak comes out with... Or consider a 505.

I guess I could keep buying LITs and converting them for both devices.

But, my whole reason for wanting a Kindle is content avilablity and not needing to convert books.

Argh, I have paralysis of analysis.

BOb
Old 05-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Another question for you fine Kindle owners. If I get a second Kindle and put it on my Amazon account to facilitate sharing books. Is there any way to disallow purchasing books on the second kindle? Or a way to set a spending limit?

BOb
Old 05-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Another question for you fine Kindle owners. If I get a second Kindle and put it on my Amazon account to facilitate sharing books. Is there any way to disallow purchasing books on the second kindle? Or a way to set a spending limit?

BOb
I wonder if you could register and deregister the 2nd Kindle at will.

Quote:
Deregistering Your Kindle
If you want to transfer ownership of your Kindle or return it for service or recycling, you should deregister it to prevent unauthorized purchases. The process is similar to the registration process described above. Just select "Deregister" from the Registration section and your "Account Name" will change to None. You will not be able to buy or download samples from the store, use Basic Web or use Kindle NowNow if your Kindle is not registered. You can also deregister your Kindle from the Manage Your Kindle page on Amazon.com.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I wonder if you could register and deregister the 2nd Kindle at will.
Worse comes to worse that seems like an option. However, that would as it says disallow downloads from the media library, samples, Wikipedia use, I assume any currently in memory books would still work?

I'd still like everything to work but just disallow purchases, or better have some type of limit system or purchase approval system.

Thanks,
BOb
Old 05-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Worse comes to worse that seems like an option. However, that would as it says disallow downloads from the media library, samples, Wikipedia use, I assume any currently in memory books would still work?

I'd still like everything to work but just disallow purchases, or better have some type of limit system or purchase approval system.

Thanks,
BOb
Probably. So long as the EVDO is kept off, the Kindle should think it is authorized to read the books it has at the moment.

An alternate method would be to disable the "one-click" credit card. If you do this, no one will be able to buy ebooks until it is enabled again.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
This sounds like a VERY good question to send to Amazon. Surely there must be other people who would like a solution to be created for this!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
This sounds like a VERY good question to send to Amazon. Surely there must be other people who would like a solution to be created for this!
Perhaps a Kindle owner would send it. I don't yet have the device.

BOb
Old 05-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Done. I'll letcha know if/when they reply.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote