Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
rainalkar
rainalkar began at the beginning.

Device: none
What would be the proper e-reader for me

Hello everyone, could you help me choose the optimal E-reader for me?

1. I live in Croatia (EU)
2. I need something to read books, not for social networking or e-mails. I don't care much for internet connectivity
3. I need to be able to read epub and mobi format. If it is easy to convert one into the other on the computer, then any will do
4. Most, if not all from my books will be copied from my PC
5. The option for glow screen seems nice, but I would welcome proposals for the devices without it as well
6. Price up to 120$
7. Other things you know much better - the quality of the screen/software, UI design and response speed, folder/other system...

If you could write the possible options with a small line including pros and cons. Thank you in advance
rainalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Just FYI, converting between epub and mobi is almost always effective and painless with Calibre.

- Are you fussy about getting fonts, line spacing, margins etc exactly the way you like them, or are you happy to read however it comes?
- Do you want a basic reading appliance, or are you a bit of a tweaker?
- Do you know what screen size you'd like?
- Do you want one from a big company, or would you like to go with one of the smaller brands?
- and do you know what brands are currently available in Croatia?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can't go wrong with the Kindle Paperwhite, to my mind. Excellent reader at a great price. Probably the best lighting system currently around, which is great for reading in poor light.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
rainalkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Just FYI, converting between epub and mobi is almost always effective and painless with Calibre.

- Are you fussy about getting fonts, line spacing, margins etc exactly the way you like them, or are you happy to read however it comes?
- Do you want a basic reading appliance, or are you a bit of a tweaker?
- Do you know what screen size you'd like?
- Do you want one from a big company, or would you like to go with one of the smaller brands?
- and do you know what brands are currently available in Croatia?
Then it is fine if I can do it in another program painlessly.

- I am not, however, I do want the reader to be good for reading. For instance, on a video review I saw that Nook has a lot of empty space between paragraphs.
- I would rather for it to be working on the go, although I can, if necessary, tweak it.
- 6-7'', black and white reader
- any will do if the reader is a quality one and available
- almost none. If there is, it is for like 200€ for Paperwhite. My source needs to be the www. So, whatever is available to the EU.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
rainalkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can't go wrong with the Kindle Paperwhite, to my mind. Excellent reader at a great price. Probably the best lighting system currently around, which is great for reading in poor light.
I would highly appreciate if you could tell me what the price could be. In Croatia, it is obscenely high.
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I assume that's reseller, but Paperwhite can be ordered directly from amazon. You can ask a friend to send it to you from Germany, since I believe there would be no taxes that way. If there is a local sony store, perhaps they have readers too, and I seem to remember reading that one of phone operators had ebook store and reader?
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
rainalkar

I have the option for someone to send it to me from Germany, but does it make any difference?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainalkar View Post
I have the option for someone to send it to me from Germany, but does it make any difference?
Might perhaps be cheaper. It would cost you €129 if you bought it in Germany. May be more expensive to buy direct from amazon.com.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
rainalkar

That is way too much unfortunately. Especially considering the US price.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
That is way too much unfortunately. Especially considering the US price.
Can you explain what you mean when you say "especially considering the US price"? The US price is $139, which is €103 at today's exchange rate. Add the German VAT rate of 19%, and you get €123, which is not outrageously different to the €129 that amazon.de are charging.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
rainalkar

I was thinking that it still costs much less for Americans then for others.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I was thinking that it still costs much less for Americans then for others.
Remember that advertised prices in the US don't include sales tax, whereas advertised prices in the EU do include VAT. The real price we're paying is pretty much the same.

I honestly think that PW is one of the best readers on the market, but of course there are cheaper devices around if price is a concern.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But it doesn't read epubs and many other formats.

I suggest PocketBook 623 Touch Lux.
More expensive, but has a front-lit HD screen (like paperwhite) and supports LOTS of formats and configuration options.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
and I seem to remember reading that one of phone operators had ebook store and reader?
I think you mean the Tolino, which is 99 Euro.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
But it doesn't read epubs and many other formats.
True, but with Calibre, who cares?

Obviously if ePub is an important consideration, the Kindle would not be a good choice. The benefit of it is that it's a damn good reader which Amazon essentially give away at cost price. You can't get a better reader for the price, to my mind, although as you say there are readers which are just as good at a higher price.