Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #256
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It calls home, and takes the date from the headers of a special reply html page.
Ahh thank you for that insight. I was thinking maybe it calls a time server. But then if it did, it should just ask for a timezone and set the time and date automatically from it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #257
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Ahh thank you for that insight. I was thinking maybe it calls a time server. But then if it did, it should just ask for a timezone and set the time and date automatically from it.
According to the user's manual - it does that when the Kpw connects via 3G.

Can't explain why it doesn't do a simple get date&time from an NTP server when it connects via Wifi.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #258
balric
balric began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 and kindle 5
Sorry file on kindle is called cover not covers as I wrote previously. When my kindle goes to sleep All that shows is the the screensaver hacked screensaver.

Just redone everything
uninstalled linkss
reinstalled python
deleted linkss folder
reinstalled linkss
created cover file
Same thing only displays the hacked ss.

NVM Working now

Last edited by balric; 12-30-2012 at 08:41 AM.
balric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #259
ext233
Enthusiast
ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PW2
so, how to 'uninstall' this hack and revert back to stock screensavers if i want? is it simply a matter of deleting the custom images from the linkss/screensavers folder?

thanks devs!
ext233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #260
albyok
albyok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi all.

I have this weird problem. The "cover" hack is acting weird. It shows the cover of the last book, but it doesn't update if I change a book until I connect my Kindle to USB again.

In practice I disconnect my Kindle from USB and the cover showed as screensaver is fine. But if I change a book, the cover remains the same of the old book. If then I connect the Kindle to USB and unplug it, it updates it. I don't think it's intended to work in that way, no?

UPDATE:

Nevermind. It works, but only after about 30 seconds that I'm on a book. Maybe it's made on purpose.

Last edited by albyok; 01-02-2013 at 09:04 AM.
albyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #261
Paxo57
Paxo57 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Hi
Have hacked my paperwhite, installed my wallpapers which work fine, but I would like them to display randomly, I have added an empty folder called random in Linkss folder as stated and restarted my kindle (more than once, it took three goes to see my wallpapers) but they still show in the order that they are numbered, any ideas?
Thanks in anticipation
Paxo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #262
madmun
madmun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT & PW
Why in kindle-python-0.2.N in no uninstall package ? And how i can uninstall this ?
madmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #263
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmun View Post
Why in kindle-python-0.2.N in no uninstall package ? And how i can uninstall this ?
Delete the files installed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #264
driftcrow
driftcrow began at the beginning.

Device: kindle wp
not works in my special offers paperwhite,why

not works in my special offers paperwhite,why?
driftcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #265
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Because you did not read the first post in its entirety.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #266
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can someone clarify this for me? Just the .bin files are needed to be sent to the Kindle? What about the build and src folders in the zip?

I'd like to use the cover feature so if I am reading this correctly, first upload the update_python_0.2.N_install.bin and update. Then, upload the update_linkss_0.6.N_install.bin and update. Then I have to throw in a blank filed called 'cover' into the linkss folder. Does that sound right?
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #267
weatherje
weatherje began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Do you want to use the cover of the last book opened as a screensaver? Make sure you've installed the Python package first, then just drop a blank file named cover in the linkss folder. Restart your Kindle ([HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Restart), and you're done .

Dou you prefer to just show the last thing that was on screen, with an overlay indicating when the device's alseep? Just drop a blank file named last in the linkss folder. Restart your Kindle ([HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Restart), and you're done .
It doesn't work both. I have bought a Kindle Touch in december, one of the last ones. It has firmware 5.1.2 I think.

What can I do? Was it right to put the blank file(s) to %kindle%/linkss and not to %kindle%/linkss/screensavers?

//EDIT
After installing some other hacks and multiple restarts it works now. Thanks

Last edited by weatherje; 01-04-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Works now
weatherje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #268
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
Can someone clarify this for me? Just the .bin files are needed to be sent to the Kindle? What about the build and src folders in the zip?

I'd like to use the cover feature so if I am reading this correctly, first upload the update_python_0.2.N_install.bin and update. Then, upload the update_linkss_0.6.N_install.bin and update. Then I have to throw in a blank filed called 'cover' into the linkss folder. Does that sound right?
Yes that sounds right. Even though I personally have not installed this particular hack myself (no interest to me, when my PW sleeps, I can't see the picture anyway as my cover is closed).

As for the build and src folder: No they are not needed for it to work. They are just there as a "nice to have" feature. It is basically just a recipe to make your own - or for the curious to see: How did he do that? The src is the "ingredients" and the build is the instructions on turning src into a bin file. If you want, you could modify the source code and create your very own bin file. For example if you don't like the name "cover" and you want to call it "picture" instead, you can do that.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #269
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yes that sounds right. Even though I personally have not installed this particular hack myself (no interest to me, when my PW sleeps, I can't see the picture anyway as my cover is closed).

As for the build and src folder: No they are not needed for it to work. They are just there as a "nice to have" feature. It is basically just a recipe to make your own - or for the curious to see: How did he do that? The src is the "ingredients" and the build is the instructions on turning src into a bin file. If you want, you could modify the source code and create your very own bin file. For example if you don't like the name "cover" and you want to call it "picture" instead, you can do that.
Ah thanks. I'll be using the cover too but I figure that'd be a split second needed to refresh the screen and having the book cover there would be nice, even for that split second

Hope the 450X680 covers fit nicely into the screen. The blank file called 'cover', it can just be a text document? Without the .doc extension of course.
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #270
xlolliqueenx
xlolliqueenx began at the beginning.

I followed the instructions, I have a jail broken Paperwhite, I put the screensavers in the right folder in png format, and the right size, I restart, and when I go to shut off my kindle, the factory screensavers show. What could I have done wrong?
xlolliqueenx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch