Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #286
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Another consideration for shorter nomination periods is that the current timing skews us to choose shorter books. Frankly, even if we wanted to choose a book like Shogun for our book this month, we simply don't have time to read it even if we started right now. I mean, it's huge. And I'd really like to re-read it. But it isn't realistic unless we have several weeks to read before the discussion.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:23 PM   #287
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'd like to propose a change to be implemented whenever appropriate (i.e. probably the beginning of 2016) that just occurred to me while thinking about how nice it is this month that we got to the poll sooner...five days (the 25th) or seven days (the 27th, a week if you want to give a couple extra days just in case)....
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
A week should be reasonable....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Another consideration for shorter nomination periods is that the current timing skews us to choose shorter books....
A week sounds good to me, and better all around than 10 or sometimes even 11 days. If no one objects, I could implement this starting with next month's selection.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #288
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I'm in complete agreement! A week is plenty of time.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #289
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
A week sounds good to me, and better all around than 10 or sometimes even 11 days. If no one objects, I could implement this starting with next month's selection.
Another positive is that it should be a little less work for you since you won't have to continually check on the nominations for as many days as before.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #290
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've updated the template. For those of us in the Eastern Time Zone, nominations will start on April 20 at 00:01 and end April 26 at 23:59 (that's 4 a.m. April 20 until 4 a.m. April 27, GMT).
Advert
Old 01-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #291
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Since I hang out at GoodReads I fixed up the MobileRead group's bookshelf a bit. I added all the books, removed some non-winning books and shelved things as the category they won for. So if anyone is looking for the Romance selectcions, you could head over there and use the tags I've assigned.

MobileRead on GoodReads bookshelf

I even started to add the literary club selections, but I've only done the first two. I will get to those eventually. That group is pushing up the daisies, but I figured it would be a nice option for those looking for both bookclub's selections.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #292
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I didn't even know there was such a group. I really need to spend more time getting to know goodreads.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #293
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I didn't even know there was such a group. I really need to spend more time getting to know goodreads.
I'm the same way. I've started using Goodreads a little, mostly because it pops up when I start a new book on my Kindle, but that's about it. Basically, the only place I go these days is here.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #294
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
This has certainly been one of our better discussions. I think the shortness of the book, and its obvious quality, have allowed more of us to read it, and yet it's failings give us something to talk about. Interesting dichotomy.
I'm quoting this from this month's book discussion thread, as I think it's pertinent and potentially useful. Perhaps if people could keep in mind voting for books that would likely to be read, because they're not too long or demanding, we might have more lively discussions. I'll compare Brat Farrar to Kafka on the Shore, where the discussion never got going. Many who didn't vote for Brat still showed up to discuss. In the case of Kafka, I have to admit that I considered reading it even though i 'm not a Murakami fan, but I couldn't find the resolve necessary to commit to some 500 pages.

I'm not saying everything has to be super short or an easy read, but books that are accessible and rewarding are going to result in more participants in the discussion.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #295
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I certainly agree, issybird. Unless there is some truly compelling reason or interest in a book of >500 pages, there's very little chance that I'll read it for this. I'm not saying that there aren't any longer books that I'd pass on (I did read Shogun recently, after all), but when the book gets particularly long, there needs to be some serious motivation by those nominating and seconding it for me to take the plunge unless it happens to already be on my list. And the same holds true for difficult or challenging reads, though if they're reasonable in size I'm more likely to do it.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:41 PM   #296
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My Reason for not having read the book for this month is because I've been unable to get it from Overdrive. At present, my budget is tight.

One thing that would make it easier to read the nominated books in time would be to have a longer time from the time nominated to get the book and then to read. So if we voted one month back, that would be plenty of time.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-25-2016 at 05:46 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #297
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My Reason for not having read the book for this month is because I've been unable to get it from Overdrive. At present, my budget is tight.
Jon, in any given month people will always have very good reasons why they can't read a book. Not to worry. I and I think Charlie are just saying that it would be good if people could keep "readability" at the forefront when they nominate and vote. And readable includes price, as well as length and accessibility.

it's just that, for me, a good discussion adds a lot to reading pleasure. I'd love to see slates where all the books seemed interesting and wouldn't break the bank, because then people who perhaps wouldn't have chosen the winner will still find it worthwhile to show up for the discussion.

Ideally, I end up reading books I'd never have considered, but are rewarding. I have to say, though, that I'd probably end up giving a Star Trek novel the miss!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #298
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing we don't have to worry for this month is accessibility since all the nominated books are free on MR. I plan on reading whatever the winner is even if not what I'll have voted for.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:26 AM   #299
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
... I'm not saying everything has to be super short or an easy read, but books that are accessible and rewarding are going to result in more participants in the discussion.
I think that's good to keep in mind. Months where long books have been nominated seem to have a high dropout rate when it's time for the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My Reason for not having read the book for this month is because I've been unable to get it from Overdrive. At present, my budget is tight. ...
Tell me about it. I've been retired over a year now and my finger has become a lot slower on the "buy" button than it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
... Ideally, I end up reading books I'd never have considered, but are rewarding. I have to say, though, that I'd probably end up giving a Star Trek novel the miss!
You know what's needed in the world today? A budding author to write Pride and Prejudice and Phasers.

Actually I think it would be interesting to read this month's Star Trek nomination, as it contains the author's own words before they were run through Paramount's patented Franchise Homogenizer. The last such book I read was The City on the Edge of Forever: The Original Teleplay by Harlan Ellison, and it differed considerably from what finally aired. Though the episode became the all-time fan-favorite, to this day Ellison despises the late Gene Roddenberry for the changes he made to his script to make the characters nicer and more noble. "Eviscerated" is the word he used.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #300
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
...NOT THE FRANCHISE HOMOGENIZER!!!!..... :P

I know I often shirk longer titles. Although I did read Murakami because I like his characters and his style and I am more apt to read non GB/US titles to boot. But I agree. Shorter titles definitely get more immediate interest from me. That is a personal choice by me to broaden my horizons more and does not always suit everyone else. I know that.

I don't know if I'll get to Brat Farrar, but I know I'll get to Eucalyptus. I sometimes get trapped in my library requests (many which are interlibrary-loans) that are not always renewable so I am often late to getting around to reading some selections in both book clubs while trying to finish up other titles.

I've definitely done better in the last two years getting to a good portion of titles though.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote