Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
JFS-NMF
JFS-NMF began at the beginning.

Device: nook
NOOK NOT DISPLAYING EPUB CORRECTLY

I use Calibre to download various newspaper and magazine feeds and then transer them to my original Nook.

This works fine, except for the LONDON REVIEW BLOG feed, at http://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/feeds

class AdvancedUserRecipe1294629935(BasicNewsRecipe):
title = u'LRB BLOG'
oldest_article = 14
max_articles_per_feed = 96
feeds= [(u'http://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/feed')]

For this feed, the blog articles are visible in full on the Calibre EPUB reader; but on the Nook the entries are truncated after about 1 paragraph. The pages appear to be present on the Nook, but it is not possible to navigate to them (e.g., if the Nook indicates the blog contains 50 pages, one might be able to navigate only to pages 1, 8, 19, 30, and 42 on the Nook).

Any way to get entire articles visible on Nook?
JFS-NMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The recipe probably needs work to fix up the XHTML output it is generating.

The ePub readers tend to be picky about errors in the (X)HTML syntax, and Calibre isn't always great about converting HTML from random web sources into well-formed XHTML that can be rendered correctly.

It would take some time and someone inspecting the XHTML output from Calibre and crafting a better recipe.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
The recipe probably needs work to fix up the XHTML output it is generating.

The ePub readers tend to be picky about errors in the (X)HTML syntax, and Calibre isn't always great about converting HTML from random web sources into well-formed XHTML that can be rendered correctly.

It would take some time and someone inspecting the XHTML output from Calibre and crafting a better recipe.

I had a recipe that I wrote for Calibre that didn't work on my Nook Classic. When it magically worked fine on my Nook Touch I abandoned any ambition I had to half-ass research it and find out what was going on.

I decided that there was a difference in the reading apps between the two machines (captain obvious, that's me).
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
By the way, the issue was similar to yours. Table of contents was there, I couldn't get to the first article no matter what, but page number insinuated it was there. Second and subsequent articles (downloaded from same web site) worked fine.
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
JFS-NMF
JFS-NMF began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I too found a work-around. Saving LRB Blog articles with Instapaper then downloading with the Calibre Instapaper recipe makes them legible on the Nook for some reason.
JFS-NMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS-NMF View Post
I too found a work-around. Saving LRB Blog articles with Instapaper then downloading with the Calibre Instapaper recipe makes them legible on the Nook for some reason.
Instapaper does a lot of HTML cleanup on pages you send to it that Calibre doesn't do by default (it's up to the recipe to clean it up).
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote