Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-15-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
alophind
Connoisseur
alophind began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 650
Is the Sony's 6" screen big enough ?

Hi there ,
I've seen in youtube a movie with both the Sony and the iLiad on near the other.

Since the iLiad screen is bigger , It made the Sony's look small. Is the Sony's 6" screen big enough to read from without stressing the eyes ?

Thank you.
alophind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:06 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, the Sony's screen if big enough for reading from without eyestrain. I do it a lot and I do not get any eyestrain. The only thing the Sony is too small for is trying to fit a letter (piece of paper) sized PDF onto the screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2007, 02:19 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by alophind View Post
Is the Sony's 6" screen big enough to read from without stressing the eyes ?
I own Sony Reader, and for reading fiction(*) the screen is indeed big enough. Especially if you format the books with mininal margins and optimum font, the screen format is Just Right (TM).

(*) - some people want to read technical documents in PDF formated for printing on A4 or Letter paper, and for that, not even Iliad is big enough.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:48 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For reading fiction, yes, it's definitely big enough. I find the iLiad to be nicer to read from, but not from the point of view of eyestrain - I just prefer the larger screen. You pay a hefty price for that, though. Absolutely nothing wrong with reading on the Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:23 AM   #5
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, the Sony's screen if big enough for reading from without eyestrain. I do it a lot and I do not get any eyestrain. The only thing the Sony is too small for is trying to fit a letter (piece of paper) sized PDF onto the screen.
I started putting as a test PDF ebook on my PSP.
I found it easier to read the file as txt (converted using PDF to TXT utility) then PDF.

Maybe you should try it with the SONY Reader in case of letter size PDF?
Advert
Old 08-15-2007, 03:47 AM   #6
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For reading fiction, yes, it's definitely big enough. I find the iLiad to be nicer to read from, but not from the point of view of eyestrain - I just prefer the larger screen. You pay a hefty price for that, though. Absolutely nothing wrong with reading on the Sony.
I guess it all comes out to which is more comfortable to be read in the toilet room ? LOL....
Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 AM   #7
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Maybe this picture can help you to appreciate the size of the screen:

It is considerably smaller than a hardback edition, but only a little bit smaller than a paperback book.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I own Sony Reader, and for reading fiction(*) the screen is indeed big enough. Especially if you format the books with mininal margins and optimum font, the screen format is Just Right (TM).
You might want to update your profile to show you own the Sony Reader.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Maybe this picture can help you to appreciate the size of the screen:

It is considerably smaller than a hardback edition, but only a little bit smaller than a paperback book.
But, that only a little bit smaller then a paperback is for the ENTIRE unit. The screen itself is even smaller then that. The screen size is 9cm by 12cm and some of the screen real estate for reading LRF/LRX is taken up with the info line at the bottom.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:11 AM   #10
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
My Wife's Never Complained!!!

Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #11
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, that only a little bit smaller then a paperback is for the ENTIRE unit. The screen itself is even smaller then that. The screen size is 9cm by 12cm and some of the screen real estate for reading LRF/LRX is taken up with the info line at the bottom.
Does the Sony Reader need any screen protector to prevent scratches ?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:15 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alophind View Post
Does the Sony Reader need any screen protector to prevent scratches ?
Not as long as you're reasonably careful with it, no. It's not a touch sensitive screen, so it's made from a hard plastic which is pretty scratch resistant.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:07 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not as long as you're reasonably careful with it, no. It's not a touch sensitive screen, so it's made from a hard plastic which is pretty scratch resistant.
Agreed. I had once accidentally "scratched" it with my car keys, but it left no marks. *lucky me*
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:32 PM   #14
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
But the reading area of the paperback is also smaller than the entire book.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote