Notices

Old 06-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Some questions before buying the Reader

Hello,

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to buy this device. But I've got some questions, wich the threads in the forum couldn't give me an answer to, since the device would cost me about 405 USD / 300 EUR what is rather a lot of money.

1) I read multiple books simultaneously, three for school and one novel and some short stories at home. Does the Reader remember where I was in every file when I switch to another one?

2) I like reading in bed. For paper-books I use a 11W energy-saving-lamp (wich corresponds to a 60W light blub) wich is shining to the ceiling. Is that also enough to read with the Reader?

3) Up to now I've been reading eBooks with different PDAs (from 160x160 Palm to VGA PPC). For those that also habe been reading with a PDA before the Reader, do you noticed any things that you liked more with the Reader?

4) Whats about warranty? Its one year in the US, right? When I need the warranty, then I would have to send it to Sony US at my own cost, thats obvious, but who pays the way back?

5) How high is the risk that I need the warranty? Are there much known cases?

6) The power supply adapter, wich power range does it support? Does it ship with international connectors (especially Euro-Connector) or with US only?

Best Regards

Fabian
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
1) yes. There is a "continue reading" option for each book. And a history is available per book too.

2) depends on your sight. I used that too, but I don't like the fact that I have to keep the same position all the time, so I bought a verilux readinglight so I can toss and turn in bed.

3) I used to read all kind of books with the a PDA (320x240 ancient Ipaq). Only the fact that the PDA had backlight so I can read it in the dark is positive. The reader wins in all aspect. Clearity, ergonomics, resolution, batterylife. Oh, ok. page turning might be faster for the PDA.

4) dunno. When I import things I don't expect to get warranty

5) if it works, it works.

6) 110-240. You can take out the standard US-powercord and use an euro-connector like I did. Or you can charge it with USB.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
1) Thats very nice, because I had just seen the "Continue Reading" Field on the screenshot and thought it would be only for the last book read.

2) Thats because I use the bright light pointing to the ceiling, it reflects and lets me read also when I'm not in the optimal position. The Verilux looks nice, but also are 30 USD more to pay.

3) well page turning on the Handera 330 on wich I read most of the time also needs half a second. And since on the Reader screen fits more text, that should be acceptable.

4) I also don't really expect warranty. But it would be nice to get the unit repaired for 40 USD instead of having to buy a new one.

6) Ah it's like with the Sony Clies. I thought it would be a Wall-Adapter wich needs a Adapter-Plug.

Thanks for answering my questions athlonkmf!

Fabian
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapf! View Post
Hello,

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to buy this device. But I've got some questions, wich the threads in the forum couldn't give me an answer to, since the device would cost me about 405 USD / 300 EUR what is rather a lot of money.

2) I like reading in bed. For paper-books I use a 11W energy-saving-lamp (wich corresponds to a 60W light blub) wich is shining to the ceiling. Is that also enough to read with the Reader?

3) Up to now I've been reading eBooks with different PDAs (from 160x160 Palm to VGA PPC). For those that also habe been reading with a PDA before the Reader, do you noticed any things that you liked more with the Reader?

4) Whats about warranty? Its one year in the US, right? When I need the warranty, then I would have to send it to Sony US at my own cost, thats obvious, but who pays the way back?

5) How high is the risk that I need the warranty? Are there much known cases?
2. Yes, that light is enough. I have a similar light in terms of the blub by my bed. But the problem is that if my wife is trying to sleep, I use my ear light to read.

3. I used to read on my computer. With the reader, you don't have to be sat in one spot. The Reader screen is easy on the eyes. The Reader is more portable then any laptop. The battery life is a lot better then any laptop or PDA. You can store a LOT of books. I recently took the reader with me on vacation and I brought one paper books that I wanted to finish and the Reader. Finsihed the book and used the Reader the rest of the time.

4. If you do need to take advantage of the warranty, the best bet is to find someone in the USA to send the Reader to who will then send it on to Sony. I really don't know if Sony will honor the warranty outside the USA.

5. There are some cases documented in the forum of some needing to take advantage of the warranty. But most are fine. Risk is low.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:55 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
1) You can also make use of the Bookmarks feature and menu for this. What you do is get in the habit of setting a book mark when you're ready to switch books. Then hold down the Mark button for 5 seconds to go straight to the "all bookmarks" menu (you can also just click the Menu button once if that menu was the last one you visited) which will show you your list of bookmarks. Select the bookmark in the book you want to switch to and bam, you're there.

Note that this doesn't work so well if you like to set a bunch of bookmarks in the same book for whatever reason, the menu gets too cluttered to be useful that way.

However, each book's title menu will have a "continue reading" option, so you can always get back to your last page that way, as athlonkmf suggested in the first place.

2) general rule of thumb is that if you can read a paper book by a given light, you can read the Reader almost as well by the same light.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2007, 01:46 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
6) Ah it's like with the Sony Clies. I thought it would be a Wall-Adapter wich needs a Adapter-Plug.
The supplied Sony wall charger has a standard "figure 8" power connector, so it's very easy to replace the supplied US cable with a standard European one. You'll probably find that you only need to recharge the Reader about once every 3 weeks.

The other thing that's perhaps worth noting is that the charger for the Sony "Playstation Portable" (PSP) works fine with the Reader. That's useful if you want to buy a spare charger, or a car charger. PSP chargers are sold cheaply in all "game" stores.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But be careful you don't get a cheaply made PSP charger. Cheaply made chargers tend to stop working after not too long a time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:45 AM   #8
MosFet
MosFet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Hello,

6) The power supply adapter, wich power range does it support? Does it ship with international connectors (especially Euro-Connector) or with US only?

Best Regards

Fabian
The power supply adapter accept as input 110-240 Volts. So you need only to replace the cable (side wall-adapter) or to use a plug adapter (US-Euro, only for the wall plug)

As said before you can also use USB cable to recharge the reader.

Bye!
MosFet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Seems like you've had a ton 'o answers already, but I'll pipe in with my 2 creds re: the light...

Since most of my reading is done in bed, while my wife if getting her beauty rest, I tend to use a very low wattage bedside lamp for reading. It's only a meager 15W and puts out plenty of light for me to read comfortably and not wake the misses.

regarding the charger, since $ony markets to the world and finds it cheaper to just manufacture a single charger, almost all chargers/bricks I've seen from them run from 100-240v and run at either a 50 or 60 clock frequency (never thought that mattered until I moved here and my simple 60Hz clocks now can't keep time worth a darn).

Have fun with it!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote