Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
kmo_9000
kmo_9000 began at the beginning.

Device: not sure yet
Why is there no 99$ Kobo anymore?

I have been looking at the Kindle, Kobo and the new Sony ereaders and well the Kobo for 99$ had me hooked.

However, the problem is that no one sells the 99$ kobo. On Futureshop and BestBuy a couple days ago they put up some refurbished Kobo's for 80$ but the black ones sold out within hours. The only reason I even looked at the Kobo was because of its price point and 150$ is just to much for such a low build quality ereader.

The only ones in stock are the stupid white ones with the ugly blue button.

The Sony's are just too expensive right now, and over 50$ for a cover is insane.

The Kindle is complicated because it would cost me about 20$ or so to import it to Canada, however if it ever goes on sale I would probably buy one pretty fast.

Anyway I was just wondering what people think about the Kobo and if there was any place left in Canada that had the non ugly blue button version for 99$ anywhere.
kmo_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Did you try Walmart?
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
The non-wifi Kobo is discontinued. However if you're in Canada, the Future Shop refurbished ones are I think a great deal. I like the blue button! If you get a gel skin cover it can make it look intentional.

Last edited by dmacmart; 12-29-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: misread original question
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
kmo_9000
kmo_9000 began at the beginning.

Device: not sure yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
The non-wifi Kobo is discontinued. However if you're in Canada, the Future Shop refurbished ones are I think a great deal. I like the blue button! If you get a gel skin cover it can make it look intentional.
I hate the blue button, its so ugly. I did see this sale and it was only like 16 of them because they were sold out in like a day. I took the night to think about it and they were all sold out.

I actually just went and ordered a kindle 3, I wont get one shipped till the jan 19th because of the high demand but I think the better screen, wifi and browser is worth it.

Really the only thing holding me off a kindle 3 until now was the lack of e-pub, which I can live with converting anything thats not pdf.
kmo_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo_9000 View Post
I hate the blue button, its so ugly. I did see this sale and it was only like 16 of them because they were sold out in like a day. I took the night to think about it and they were all sold out.

I actually just went and ordered a kindle 3, I wont get one shipped till the jan 19th because of the high demand but I think the better screen, wifi and browser is worth it.

Really the only thing holding me off a kindle 3 until now was the lack of e-pub, which I can live with converting anything thats not pdf.
Enjoy your Kindle. Remember if you change your mind you have 30 days to return it for a full refund. Not that I think that you will need to do that but if you decide that conversion is a pain it is available to you.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
kelliedn
Enthusiast
kelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with others

Device: Sony Touch Reader PRS-650
There have been some at local walmarts here
kelliedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Woot.com is selling the Sony PRS-600 for $99 today. May be a good option. Oh I see you went for the Kindle. Worth it imo.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
kelliedn
Enthusiast
kelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with others

Device: Sony Touch Reader PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Woot.com is selling the Sony PRS-600 for $99 today. May be a good option. Oh I see you went for the Kindle. Worth it imo.
OMG! Thanks! In for 1!!! I was going to get the 650, but at this price, the 600 it is.
kelliedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
Elecman
Enthusiast
Elecman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I'd say get the 600 on Woot as well if you want to try eink book readers on the cheap, and totally understand.

IMHO, Kindle is so different than a device like Sony Reader.
Kindle is cheap to buy, but you are stuck with Amazon's book universe. And it isn't very open either.

Sony is about hardware and its reader doesn't adhere to any particular estore, format, or corporate entity. It is a reading appliance that just reads books, free ones if you want (life + 70) or can shop around and find a sale on a book(s) from almost anywhere.
Elecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(sigh)

You are not stuck in the Amazon bookstore. There are many bookstores that sell Mobi books outside of Amazon. Additionally, it is easy enough to strip DRM and convert files if you want to shop outside of Amazon. Finally, the Amazon bookstore is the largest bookstore in the US, I believe the world. You are more likely to find the books you are looking for at Amazon then any other bookstore.

I have had a K1 for over two years and it runs just fine. Most people who have had problems with their Kindles report sitting on them, dropping them from tables, and other similar accidents. A Sony is just as likely to break if sat on as a Kindle.

The Sony is tied to a specific DRM and format, EPub. You have to install a special Adobe program in order to read Sony books as well as books from other bookstores. People have reported buying a Kindle in order to get the books that they want because the Sony, BN, and Kobo stores are not as big as Amazons store. Sales are not allowed on ebooks because of Agency Pricing so the books will be about the same price at any of the stores.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:55 AM   #11
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
(sigh)
The Sony is tied to a specific DRM and format, EPub. You have to install a special Adobe program in order to read Sony books as well as books from other bookstores.

Sorry, but that is not true!

You can read different format on a Sony: ePUB, PDF, BBeB, TXT, RTF, JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP, MP3, AAC

Also you can fill it up using Calibre or just drag and drop. The "special Adobe program" as you call it is already installed on the Sony devices. So you can download your bought books without it and just use Calibre if you like to.

Poppaea
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The Sony is tied to a specific DRM and format, EPub. You have to install a special Adobe program in order to read Sony books as well as books from other bookstores. People have reported buying a Kindle in order to get the books that they want because the Sony, BN, and Kobo stores are not as big as Amazons store. Sales are not allowed on ebooks because of Agency Pricing so the books will be about the same price at any of the stores.
Hmm, weird then, that I'm reading primarily PDF... And I've never bought any books from Sony, BN or Kobo for it. I did buy books from Amazon though... (and yes, reading them on my Sony).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The Kobo no longer sells for that price. If you want an ereader at that price point you need to consider the Libra Pro which sells for that price.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post

Sorry, but that is not true!

You can read different format on a Sony: ePUB, PDF, BBeB, TXT, RTF, JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP, MP3, AAC

Also you can fill it up using Calibre or just drag and drop. The "special Adobe program" as you call it is already installed on the Sony devices. So you can download your bought books without it and just use Calibre if you like to.

Poppaea
Kindle reads more then Mobi. They all read more then Mobi or EPub. The difference is whether or not they read Mobi or EPub.

And you can use Calibre to fill up a Kindle as well by converting files. The poster below you points to the fact that he buys books from Amazon and converts them for his Sony. You can do the same for the Kindle, buy from BN, Kobo, or Sony and convert them to Mobi using Calibre and drop them on your Kindle. After stripping the DRM.

Which means that no e-reader is tied to a specific store.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If one buys a book from Sony's book store its encypted to work only on Sony ebook readers. I didn't think that the ebooks could be convereted to work on other readers.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote