Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
GOODEREADER announces crowd-funded 'ULTIMATE 6" EINK READER'!

Some pretty great specs listed, and if anybody knows what would make a good reader, i guess these guys would... Here's the link: http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...imate-e-reader

What I'd really love to see is that beautiful, flush screen that the Voyage has where the text kind of looks like it's 'floating' on the screen... The kobo glo hd and the PW3 appear to be missing that feature which makes me think that it's not easily repeatable... If it comes equipped with a similarly beautiful display, I'm hooked!

Thoughts?

Last edited by cerem0ny; 10-23-2015 at 03:46 PM.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
"Pretentious Windbag"
There's my thoughts on the matter.

Nice name for the device and of course, no one else has ever claimed they'd deliver the Android ereader everyone has been waiting for...

Maybe they will put something out. Maybe something quite decent. But calling it the "Ultimate" ereader... I expect a product that equals the hype... but their proposed product doesn't.

The B&N Nook Glowlight Plus fulfills many of those goals, or will once it gets rooted. And it's cheaper.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-23-2015 at 03:51 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
"Pretentious Windbag"
There's my thoughts on the matter.

Nice name for the device and of course, no one else has ever claimed they'd deliver the Android ereader everyone has been waiting for...

Maybe they will put something out. Maybe something quite decent. But calling it the "Ultimate" ereader... I expect a product that equals the hype... but their proposed product doesn't.

The B&N Nook Glowlight Plus fulfills many of those goals, or will once it gets rooted. And it's cheaper.
Not to mention they want people to pay for the development. Before it is even started.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
It's kind of hard to take anything GoodEreader does very seriously but I really do have to admire Koslowski for his boldness. This is a great idea. If he really can pull this off I'm pretty sure I'll be one of his early customers. I have real doubts that he can do it and even more doubts that if he does it'll turn out much like he plans. But I sure would love to be wrong.

What the readers of the world really need are first class e-ink ereaders that aren't tied to a particular book store. If he does pull this off it could just be the best thing for ebooks since the Palm Pilot. I wish him the best. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him. And when he doesn't do it I'll be glad he at least tried.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Not to mention they want people to pay for the development. Before it is even started.
What development? He plans on commissioning a stock device from Netronix, then shoving Android on there.

It isn't rocket science.
It also isn't very impressive.

There are some very cool kickstarter campaigns (you can tell which ones, because they were successful) that did something innovative, surprised people, and got them to lay out money to see it brought to completion.
This ain't it.

We'll see if enough people are interested in a mere group order.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-23-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm already in for one. I support new start ups and anyone that listens to the consumers' needs. I love when someone independent comes up with something. Might be the next big product, you never know.

I think they've listened to readers and they've looked at enough e-ink readers through the years. I believe they know what they're doing.

If I'm wrong, oh well...
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The ultimate Reader would have to be larger than 6". Sorry, but they blew that one with only 6".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I make no judgments on whether he will succeed or not.

I think it just depends on how many backers he can attract. As I said, I view it as nothing more than a crowdsourced group order -- and I have no reason to think such a thing couldn't be successful.

I don't have to admire either him or his imitative rag to agree that this could really start something. For a given value of "something" that is a bit toned down from his egotistical product description.

Looks like GoodEreader is being useful and original for a change.

Hey, there's more future in this than there is in the black-market sale of pirated ebooks.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Seems like they could make it more "ultimate":

Plastic screen
Buttons
Light sensor
A remote control
A good reading app
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I like the fact of being able to use other ereader apps on it, so everything is consolidated on a single ereader without having to do conversions.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Seems like they could make it more "ultimate":

Plastic screen
I wasn't aware that anyone was actually manufacturing screens with plastic substrates. Where would they get one from?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The ultimate Reader would have to be larger than 6". Sorry, but they blew that one with only 6".

Totally agree. (Surprise! )

It's all about the market.
And the market is by and large content with the basic needs as fulfilled by a Kindle or a Kobo.

The people who are clamoring for an E-Ink Android so they can read on their terms, with the apps they want etc... tend to be more demanding than the average consumer.
Very noticeable among those demands is the "I want a larger screen than Amazon will offer me" demand.

Considering the circles they want to set abuzz, it really would have made far more sense to offer a bigger screen (they do exist !!! ) and hype that up too.

Rather than being "another E-Ink android ereader, but this one is better", they could've been "the first ever 9-inch (or whatever) E-Ink Android tablet".
Old 10-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
:
Rather than being "another E-Ink android ereader, but this one is better", they could've been "the first ever 9-inch (or whatever) E-Ink Android tablet".
There's already a 9.7" eInk generic Android device: the Onyx M96.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:03 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Oh, they have a 9.7" device? My bad.

Notwithstanding which, I still do believe there is more buzz in a 9+" device.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #15
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, Paperwhite, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's already a 9.7" eInk generic Android device: the Onyx M96.
Th M96 is not frontlit...Onyx I86 is
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodereader bad