Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
How to set up different font sizes on Aa key?

Dear all,
please, look at this picture:

Can anyone tell me, how to make this?

For the case if image host will sometimes kill the image, I will describe in words.

When I press "Aa" button on my Kindle DX device, I get 8 options of font size. Firt two are too small. Last 3 are too HUGE. I don't need them.

But very often I need something between 4th and 5th size.

Is there a configuration file where I can set up something like
PROPOSED_FONT_SIZES=20,22,24,26,28,30,32
?

If yes, can anyone tell me where I can set it up - in what file?
I don't believe that Kindle OS developer have hardcoded these values...

P.S. I know that there is a file
\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pre f
where I can change FONT_SIZE and then reboot a device. But this is very inconvenient - so please, don't propose this option.

I want to "tell" the device once and forever to have a different preset of font sizes. Does anyone know how to do this?
ihor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Okay first thought. It's a DX so If you trash it it's a problem.

second thought. I'm fairly sure I saw something a bit like this in one of the font threads. don't shoot me if I'm wrong, so maybe have a rummage around in there. IIRC it was some sort of configuration tool. Unsure if it was for a DX.

In other news have you considered not rebooting the device entirely.

Since you clearly have root access to the device is there not a way to more gently massage a restart - or even better maybe just cause the bookreader process to re-read the value - perhaps via killing/restarting its process.

Anyway they are all idle thoughts utterly unbacked up with any facts. I do have a dx. Cost a fortune, no way am I bricking it to try to get nicer font sizes. not until I can recover it no sweat.

sorry.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

But where is the config file?

Dear twobob,

I am also a developer like you, but I don't develop for Kindle.

I searched for a lot of threads on this forum - everything was "how to change the fonts". But I don't want to change the fonts - I want to change the proposed font sizes. This is a different thing.

Also I asked on Amazon forum - noone replied precisely. Everybody is telling me things like you - "google it", "search on forums" - etc.

But there are no answer.

So, the question is: where is that config file with font sizes?

Can anyone tell me, did they (Amazon developers) hardcode the values list, or they made a config? If second, what's the name of the file?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihor View Post
Dear twobob,

I am also a developer like you, but I don't develop for Kindle.

I searched for a lot of threads on this forum - everything was "how to change the fonts". But I don't want to change the fonts - I want to change the proposed font sizes. This is a different thing.

Also I asked on Amazon forum - noone replied precisely. Everybody is telling me things like you - "google it", "search on forums" - etc.

But there are no answer.

Can anyone tell me, did they (Amazon developers) hardcode the values list, or they made a config? If second, what's the name of the file?
I can only speak for the Kindle Touch here (I don't have a DX). On the K5, most of these settings are found in resource files. The font sizes are defined inside com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.resources.ReaderRe sources, like so:
Code:
"font.menu.size.list", new int[][] {
                    new int[] {
                        17, 19, 21, 25, 31, 36, 60, 86
                    }
                }
(this is straight from the decompiled sources).

As said, I can only speculate, but I assume that this is similar on the DX. If so, then it's possible to override that setting *without* having to modify the original files, by simply creating a new ResourceBundle named, for instance, com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.resources.ReaderRe sources_en_US, which would contain your modified settings, then jarring it up and putting it into the path where the system jars are. This method works because of the way that ResourceBundles are looked up in Java; if in doubt, ask your favorite search engine about ResourceBundles and localization...

Technically, this is something that I would describe as "hardcoded, but easily changed".
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dear twobob,

I don't 100% know as I avoid digging around in the DX whenever I can.

That was my point. Ixtab looks to have some ideas. Hope they help.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
ihor
Enthusiast

ixtab,

thank you very much for the hints. However, I am a .NET developer (C#, SQL Server, Analysis services, etc). I am not a Java programmer.

Therefore, I have no idea what to do. I understand that it is necessary to change this array. But the question is how to recompile those resources? Using what development toolz? How to jar them? etc.

If it were just changing a text file and saving it somewhere - in this case I would cope. But as to recompilation of resources - well, I don't think I'll be able to do that...

But anyway, thank you very much for answers.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
ihor
Enthusiast

How much shall I pay to develop such a patch?

Dear ixtab, dear all,

I just wanted to ask next: if I propose to pay you for development of such a "hack" which would set different set of font sizes - how much would it cost?

Regards,
Ihor.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hiya,

first off, I don't have a Kindle DX, so I could not actually test it. Second, you would need to have access to the root file system and be able to read/write files there. It seems like you have that, but I just wanted to mention it explicitly. And you would need to send me some of those files so I can analyze them.

Spoiler:

Third: 100 USD. I'm assuming it'll be 2-3h of work, so... it's well below market price. If interested in principle, contact me by PM for any further discussion.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
twobob

That's a good offer. Just my opinion.

Hope it works out
Old 09-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
That's a good offer. Just my opinion.

Hope it works out
Yes, those are 1970 rates that are being offered.
A person isn't likely to find a lower bid on the job.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
twobob

My thoughts exactly.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
ihor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
first off, I don't have a Kindle DX, so I could not actually test it.
If necessary, I can help testing. The only thing that I need is precise instructions of what to do: what to copy and where, and what file to backup before replacement.

Quote:
Second, you would need to have access to the root file system and be able to read/write files there.
I have jealbrake installed, and I upgdaded my Kindle DX to version 3 using this thread - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127969

but I did not set up usbNetwork hack yet. As I know, using usbNetwork I will be able to do anything with all files, right?

Quote:
And you would need to send me some of those files so I can analyze them.
Are you going to make some analysis before starting (to say if you're able to do this, or not), or you're absolutely sure you'll cope with this task?

If first, would you like me to install usbNetwork hack and send you some files right now?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Are you going to make some analysis before starting (to say if you're able to do this, or not), or you're absolutely sure you'll cope with this task?

If first, would you like me to install usbNetwork hack and send you some files right now?
No, not absolutely sure. I can only speculate that the DX works similarly to other Kindles. But don't worry, I'd do an initial analysis before saying "yes" or "no".

We can start with that right now. Run the following commands using usbnetwork:

Code:
mount > /tmp/out.txt
ps wwwaux >> /tmp/out.txt
find / >> /tmp/out.txt 2>/dev/null
and send me the content of /tmp/out.txt. (You may want to look through it first; if it contains anything sensitive on the user partition, you can remove the corresponding lines; I don't care about your personal documents, just about the general layout and the system files present).
Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
ixtab
(offline)

Well, since that topic has been pending for almost a week now, and you didn't bother to answer, I suppose that you're not interested anymore.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
twobob

Edit EDit EDit Edit Tide Tide Tide Tide Edit EDit EDit Edit Tide Tide Tide Tide

Last edited by twobob; 09-13-2012 at 09:13 PM.