Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 02:36 AM   #181
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
And yet, judging by your ticker you average an astonishing book read every two days.
We all four have Blackberrys and use them as ebook readers. And, as Maggie mentioned, a book room is essential. Unfortunately, our current home doesn't have one, nor does it have room for bookshelves. So my book collection resides in boxes under the stairs.

I really should be averaging more, but I've been spending way too much time reading this forum.

Last edited by RolandD; 01-16-2011 at 02:38 AM.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:26 AM   #182
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
... TV is on most of the time for background noise ... sitting around looking intently at our phones.
Quote:
We all four have Blackberrys and use them as ebook readers ...
I much prefer peace and quiet, when reading.

Quote:
... I've been spending way too much time reading this forum.
I've often wondered how much time other people spend reading this forum, compared with reading e-books. Imagine it would make an amusing poll.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #183
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
Some people prefer to keep their books in a study, but ours are spread throughout the house, as they're an essential part of our lives. It is interesting watching expressions, when visitors discover they are surrounded by books. Some people cannot keep their eyes off them, whereas others ignore them completely and express surprise that we don't keep a TV in the living room.
I have two huge bookshelves around my husband's obligatory large screen HD TV. They are crammed with tons of books - trust me, our bookshelves are always a conversational piece (especially before the football games).
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #184
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
Also - This is just a thought I've had recently. I think that people who REALLY love reading are the visual learners/thinkers. Y'know how teachers are always splitting people in groups of visual/auditory/whatever? I don't really know all the types, I've never put much stock into it. I find I learn best when I do all kinds of learning. But my point is, to really enjoy a book, you'd have to be able to visualize the world being set up for you. Otherwise, you're just staring at a ton of letters and who wants to do that? So... not everyone is made to be a reader?
Reading isn't only a visual experience.

Everyone's sensorium is oriented differently. We perceive the world through an assortment of senses (13, the last I looked), but one will predominate.

Vision is my primary sense. I think visually. See things in terms of visual patterns. In some cases, books don't work for me because the pieces simply don't fit together, and I say "Wait a minute! You can't get there from here!"

Everyone else is not the same. My SO does not think visually. Hearing is her primary sense. When she asks a technical question, my first impulse is to grab a pencil and paper to draw a diagram, but that will convey nothing to her. I need to find a different metaphor to convey my meaning.

I corresponded with a chap a while back for whom touch was the primary sense. He "felt" holes in arguments.

In an extreme case, I read about a guy who could not find his way to work. He was a trained engineer, and not stupid. Examination revealed that he was not visual at all. Landmarks that most people navigated by were meaningless to him. But he did have a strong kinesthetic sense. So they drove him to work in a tightly sprung sports car that transmitted every bump and curve in the road. Thereafter, he found his way to work with no problem, because his body remembered what the drive felt like.

Yet all of these folks read, and read for pleasure. Books convey more than just a visual picture of a world, and you'll have to dig deeper to find explanations of why people don't read.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 01-23-2011 at 09:14 AM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #185
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
I wonder if you're right on this. I certainly fall into that category. I take in information much better from the printed page than from listening to someone speaking. My husband is the other way round and drives me mad by reading stuff aloud to me instead of letting me read it for myself.
Sometimes hearing is a good way of getting meaning. I tend to advise people attempting to read James Joyce to read him aloud. Joyce's primary sense was hearing, and he was in part trying to reproduce what he heard in his legendary walks through Dublin. Reading his work aloud helps to grasp the cadence of his prose and adds depth to the experience.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #186
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
Some people prefer to keep their books in a study, but ours are spread throughout the house, as they're an essential part of our lives. It is interesting watching expressions, when visitors discover they are surrounded by books. Some people cannot keep their eyes off them, whereas others ignore them completely and express surprise that we don't keep a TV in the living room.
I have noticed that my siblings and I all use books as part of our decoration. We have also found our missing books in each other's houses. I remember seeing one of my missing books in my brother's house that he took because he thought it went great in his dining room. LOL... I happily replaced it w/ a similar looking book that I didn't reference as often. He still has it, but probably hasn't figured out that I have a few of his books.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #187
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Sometimes hearing is a good way of getting meaning. I tend to advise people attempting to read James Joyce to read him aloud. Joyce's primary sense was hearing, and he was in part trying to reproduce what he heard in his legendary walks through Dublin. Reading his work aloud helps to grasp the cadence of his prose and adds depth to the experience.
______
Dennis
That's good to hear... I mean, see! I mean, hear! When I study, I often stand and read aloud. For some reason it helps me retain what I've read. I have always assumed it was because I'm using more of my brain via reading, speaking and hearing, to grasp and hold onto the information. It's one of the reasons I can't wait to get my Kno textbook reader because I also like to stand and pace, like I'm giving a speech. Most textbooks are so cumbersome that it makes it difficult, at time. My SO is getting used to it. I sometimes wonder if my neighbors can hear me. Fortunately, they're teachers so they probably understand it if they can.

Last edited by SolRaven; 01-23-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #188
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I have noticed that my siblings and I all use books as part of our decoration. We have also found our missing books in each other's houses. I remember seeing one of my missing books in my brother's house that he took because he thought it went great in his dining room. LOL... I happily replaced it w/ a similar looking book that I didn't reference as often. He still has it, but probably hasn't figured out that I have a few of his books.
Years ago, I went to a party at a well-known editor's house and someone started pulling books off his shelves. PR inserts fell out of each book pulled out. Turns out he was dressing his living area with free hardbacks that he apparently didn't read, and the books he actually read -- paperbacks -- were all in his bedroom.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #189
moyeen
Banned
moyeen doesn't littermoyeen doesn't littermoyeen doesn't litter

Device: none
That's disgusting, but I don't think it's the underlying reason for the lack of readers.

Last edited by moyeen; 01-23-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: thanks
moyeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #190
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I have two huge bookshelves around my husband's obligatory large screen HD TV. They are crammed with tons of books - trust me, our bookshelves are always a conversational piece (especially before the football games).
Just this morning I suggested surrounding my wife's new large-screen HD-TV with book cases and got nowhere. At least you got to put them up!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #191
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just this morning I suggested surrounding my wife's new large-screen HD-TV with book cases and got nowhere. At least you got to put them up!
Oh, how funny? Thankfully, when my SO and I created his man cave, the main ingredient was the large flat screen, but he was the one who incorporated books onto the media component shelving. He didn't like the look of all the electronics clumped together and sitting there. So he used a decent sized tall book shelf, and mixed the TV components with the books. I must say, he did a great job.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #192
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
LOL! He didn't have an option. I'd collected piles of books all over the floor. He gave me bookshelves out of self preservation.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #193
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Oh, how funny? Thankfully, when my SO and I created his man cave, the main ingredient was the large flat screen, but he was the one who incorporated books onto the media component shelving. He didn't like the look of all the electronics clumped together and sitting there. So he used a decent sized tall book shelf, and mixed the TV components with the books. I must say, he did a great job.