Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
hellomasters
hellomasters began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 (7th Generation)
Unbrick a Kindle PW3 7th Generation

Hi guys,

This is my first post, and it's because one day after charging my discharged Kindle PW3 7th generation it started with an infinity loop reboot like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPz7NNSPYi8

Well, I start searching in Internet about the problem and after trying Amazon Support without result, I found the next video with steps for flashing the device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBquDhGZXoU

After a lot of work, I got access to the debug mode from the device, but I did the same mistake as MADMAXXX from this old post (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=269099) choosing the "Erase All" command in the recovery menu .

The situation is the next, I'm capable to access to the fastboot mode (uboot > bist fastboot) and transfer the files uImage and the rootfs.img (obtained from the last update file from Amazon with kindletool) to the device, but it doesn's work, the device can't load the recovery menu because I think the diags images doesn't exist.

The question is, exist a solution for the problem or my best option is buy a new device?

Regards.

PD: Sorry about my bad English.

Last edited by hellomasters; 06-03-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Do corrections.
hellomasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The device is a dual system boot device.
"ALL" == both systems.
Depending on the specific firmware version providing "All", that also may include the device and owner specific data - of which there is no backup, unless you backed them up yourself.

The "main" system image file is too large for the fastboot to install. See post #8 of thread linked to above.

You must install the "diags" system image and matching kernel (both a size which can be handled by this fastboot) and then boot the device into the "diags" system and use those facilities to replace the "main" system.

And you do that using the commands in the kernel's initramfs (u-image) system.

Just keep on following the steps in the order described in the thread you linked to - DO NOT try to mix and match posts from different threads or to ad lib additional steps of your own invention.

Follow the process expressed in the posts of that thread.
We did eventually recover the device from the "Erase All" -
It is a long thread and I just can not see any reason for me to type it in here again - read and follow the original.

Last edited by knc1; 06-03-2018 at 10:27 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #3
hellomasters

Hi knc1, thanks for your fast response,

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And you do that using the commands in the kernel's initramfs (u-image) system.

Just keep on following the steps in the order described in the thread you linked to.
I actually tried to do exactly what you explain in the nice thead linked before, following the post #13 I got the uImage file from the imx60_wario directory after unpacking the last update file update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.5.1.bin with the kindletool,

Code:
testsrvpc:~/Kindle/Update # ls -1
CREDITS
ChangeLog
README
VERSION
fastboot
imx60_wario
kindletool
kindletool-v1.6.5-linux-i686.tar.gz
kindletool.1
rootfs.img
rootfs.img.gz.sig
uImage
update-payload.dat
update-payload.dat.sig
update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.9.5.1.bin
testsrvpc:~/Kindle/Update #
And flashed it to the kernel partition with the command showed in the post #16:

Code:
testsrvpc:~/Kindle/Update # ./fastboot flash kernel uImage
downloading 'kernel'...
OKAY [  0.092s]
writing 'kernel'...
OKAY [  0.137s]
finished. total time: 0.229s
In the minicom interface I got the next log output:

Code:
BOOTMODE OVERRIDE: DIAGS
Battery voltage: 4005 mV

running cmd: fastboot
Entering fastboot mode...
USB speed: HIGH
Connected to USB host!
Connected to USB host!
Connected to USB host!
downloading
done
flashing kernel to MMC1, partition 0
done.
Battery voltage: 4003 mV
After that I executed the command ./fastboot reboot but the device never rebooted by its own, I must unplug the USB cable and plug it again, after that the device access again to the uboot promp, not to the recovery menu like MAD mention in post #17.

Code:
DRAM:  512 MB
Using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Quick Memory Test 0x80000000, 0x1fff0000
POST done in 111 ms
BOOTMODE OVERRIDE: DIAGS
Battery voltage: 4003 mV

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
uboot >
Old 06-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Code:
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
uboot >
That error message usually means exactly what it says.

I don't see where you tested the image you transfered (which means it may be corrupted or bad in some other way).
So test the image file you are trying to use (the u-boot tools provide a decent image tester).

I don't see where you ever took the device out of fastboot mode.

You DO NOT reboot a device with the Kindle's USB cable plugged in, not unless you want to troubleshoot some really whonkey problems.
Unplug USB cable (the Kindle's normal external USB cable, not the serial-to-usb cable) prior to rebooting or otherwise doing any changes to the running system.

Read the battery report line -
Stop screwing with the Kindle -
Plug it into a wall charger until the battery recharges (should read: 4200 mV that is: 4.2 volt)
Old 06-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't fastboot's "kernel" target the kernel for *main* and not diags?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
hellomasters

Quote:
Read the battery report line -
Stop screwing with the Kindle -
Plug it into a wall charger until the battery recharges (should read: 4200 mV that is: 4.2 volt)
The device is not charging, I tried with diferent cables, plugged into the wall and USB but nothing help. The last 5 hours I leaved the device charging with the wall charger, but now the battery charge remains the same as before:

Code:
Battery voltage: 4004 mV
Battery voltage: 4006 mV
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't fastboot's "kernel" target the kernel for *main* and not diags?
Hi NiLuJe, I think you are correct, I changed the command as following:

Code:
testsrvpc:~/Kindle/Update # ./fastboot flash diags_kernel uImage
downloading 'diags_kernel'...
OKAY [  0.092s]
writing 'diags_kernel'...
OKAY [  0.144s]
finished. total time: 0.236s
Now the kernel starts, but I'm unable to access to the recovery menú, I'm trying to press the ENTER button in the correct moment but nothing happends:

Code:
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80800000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.0.35-lab126
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    2952692 Bytes =  2.8 MB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point:  80008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Loading Kernel Image ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

[    0.096547] No Legacy reboot reason code to print
[    0.280266] LPDDR2 MfgId: 0x1 [Samsung]
[    0.284427]
[    0.284430] just text: vaddr c0131fdc, va 0xc0131200 pa 0x801000c3 attr 0x6
[    0.292720]
[    0.292722] nmx6sl_wfi_iram: vaddr e084e000, va 0xe084e200 pa 0x904043 attr 0x2
[    0.305742]
[    0.305745] mx6sl_ddr: vaddr e0856000, va 0xe0856200 pa 0x905043 attr 0x2
[    0.314057]
[    0.314059] mx6sl_iomux: vaddr f40e0000, va 0xf40e0200 pa 0x20110c3 attr 0x149
[    0.322789]
[    0.322791] ANATOP: vaddr f40c8000, va 0xf40c8200 pa 0x20110c3 attr 0x149
[    0.331091]
[    0.331093] CCM: vaddr f40c4000, va 0xf40c4200 pa 0x20110c3 attr 0x149
[    0.339218]
[    0.339220] MMDC_P0: vaddr f41b0000, va 0xf41b0200 pa 0x21110c3 attr 0x149
[    0.349642]
[    0.349644] L2: vaddr f2a02000, va 0xf2a02200 pa 0xa02043 attr 0x149
[    0.363544]
[    0.363546] arm perif: vaddr f2a00000, va 0xf2a00200 pa 0xa00043 attr 0x149
DEBUG:recovery-util.c:1680:setup_[    0.496082] FAT-fs (loop1): bogus number of reserved sectors
die_signals():Installed signal handlers.
3.0.35-lab126 #2 PREEMPT Thu Apr 19 09:48:57 PDT 2018 armv7l
[    1.527688] imx_epdc_fb imx_epdc_fb: Failed to load fw! (err -2) Trying fallback fw
[    1.573034] panel_get_upd_modes: Unknown waveform mode. Using MODE_07!
Press [ENTER] for recovery menu...       0 /[    4.398310] FAT-fs (loop0): bogus number of reserved sectors

BOOTING DEFAULT.
IP-Config: no devices to configure
kinit: Unable to mount root fs on device dev(179,1)
kinit: init not found!
I'll continue trying..
Old 06-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #7
hellomasters

I'm not sure whats is going on, when I try to load the recovery menú apparently it start the loading process but suddently it stops, I think it is because the battery does not have enough charge for finalize the loading process, and reboot the device after that.

Code:
[    0.543939] FAT-fs (loop1): bogus number of reserved sectors
[    1.582001] imx_epdc_fb imx_epdc_fb: Failed to load fw! (err -2) Trying fallback fw
[    1.629821] panel_get_upd_modes: Unknown waveform mode. Using MODE_07!
Press [ENTER] for recovery menu...       0 /

Charge: 86% [####HW

U-Boot 2009.08-lab126 (Jan 24 2018 - 12:49:03)

CPU: Freescale i.MX6 family TO0.0 at 996 MHz
Old 06-04-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Do not try to "catch" the correct time to press the key - you are already too late when you see the message.

Power on the device, as soon as you see the very first characters output, press AND HOLD the key until you get the prompt.

= = = =

Notes:
*) Do not load the "main" kernel in the "diag" memory place.
*) Do not load the "diag" kernel in the "main" memory place.
They can not be interchanged.

*) Do not be concerned about running the "diag" system, you do not need it.
In fact, you could forget about ever loading the "diag" system (unless you plan to screw up the "main" system in the future).

*) The only things that you need to install with fastboot is the u-image.
It is the u-image that contains the menu you need to continue the recovery (just use it to load the Amazon image of your choice).
*) Export USB
*) Transfer Amazon image to topmost level of visible USB storage.
*) Reboot
*) Done.

You are way over-thinking the problem, it really isn't rocket science.

Last edited by knc1; 06-04-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #9
hellomasters

Quote:
Notes:

In fact, you could forget about ever loading the "diag" system (unless you plan to screw up the "main" system in the future).
Well, I finally found the problem related to the kernel load, in the Youtube tuto that I followed (linked in the first post) I set the variable bootmode to diags with the next command:
Code:
./fastboot setvar bootmode diags
Thats why the uImage was only working for me more or less when I flashed It to the diags_kernel partition. For correcting the problem, I changed again the variable bootmode to its original value: kernel
Code:
./fastboot setvar bootmode kernel
After that I erased the diags_kernel partition:
Code:
./fastboot erase diags_kernel
Flash the uImage to the kernel partition and send a reboot directive:
Code:
./fastboot flash kernel uImage
./fastboot reboot
And finally I was capable to access to the recovery menú:
Code:
[    1.572387] panel_get_upd_modes: Unknown waveform mode. Using MODE_07!
Charge: 77% [##############################################::::::::::::]

Menu
====
3. Load MMC over USB storage
4. Erase MMC
I. Initialize Partition Table (fdisk) and format FAT
O. Format and overwrite FAT partition
E. Export FAT partition
U. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition
M. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition of second MMC port
D. dmesg / kernel printk ring buffer.
Q. quit
Choose:  10 /
Ok, this is my situation up to now, I'll continue reading the MadMAXXX thread and reporte my progress.

Last edited by hellomasters; 06-05-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Correcting words and paragraphs.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:10 AM   #10
hellomasters

My current problem is that the device is not chargin the battery in any form. I tried with both the wall charger and the PC USB ports, with different cables, and nothing help, the battery remains with the next voltage:
Code:
Battery voltage: 4008 mV
Battery voltage: 4009 mV
Battery voltage: 4007 mV
I disassembled the circuit board (PCB) but I don't know how to diagnostic why It isn't charging the battery. Any idea?
Old 06-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomasters View Post
My current problem is that the device is not chargin the battery in any form. I tried with both the wall charger and the PC USB ports, with different cables, and nothing help, the battery remains with the next voltage:
Code:
Battery voltage: 4008 mV
Battery voltage: 4009 mV
Battery voltage: 4007 mV
I disassembled the circuit board (PCB) but I don't know how to diagnostic why It isn't charging the battery. Any idea?
Do you have an external charger you could try? It might be a battery problem as opposed to the PCB.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #12
hellomasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Do you have an external charger you could try? It might be a battery problem as opposed to the PCB.

Dave
Yes, I did, well, really I never bought the original external charger for Kindle but I tried charging it with others two, both with 5v output but with different amp capacity (1.5A and 0.850A).

The problem started when I tried to start my device after a long time without using it. Because the battery was completly dried, I leaved the device charging with the 5v 0.850A wall charger one nigth, and during the next day the device start rebooting it self all the time.

I though the problem was coming from a faulty update (that's why I tried to flash the device, making mistakes in the process), but is possible that all the problem seems to be just the battery.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #13
MaximKalinyuk
MaximKalinyuk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
unbriking PW3 problems

Quote:
Do not try to "catch" the correct time to press the key - you are already too late when you see the message.

Power on the device, as soon as you see the very first characters output, press AND HOLD the key until you get the prompt.

= = = =

Notes:

*) The only things that you need to install with fastboot is the u-image.
It is the u-image that contains the menu you need to continue the recovery (just use it to load the Amazon image of your choice).
*) Export USB
*) Transfer Amazon image to topmost level of visible USB storage.
*) Reboot
*) Done.

You are way over-thinking the problem, it really isn't rocket science.
I've tried everything - nothing helps! Can you help me please? Same problem as MADMAXXX and hellomasters got. I cannot get recovery menu, flashing uImage to kernell partition...

Last edited by MaximKalinyuk; 02-06-2019 at 02:23 PM.
MaximKalinyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Well, I finally found the problem related to the kernel load, in the Youtube tuto that I followed (linked in the first post) I set the variable bootmode to diags with the next command:
Code:
./fastboot setvar bootmode diags
Thats why the uImage was only working for me more or less when I flashed It to the diags_kernel partition. For correcting the problem, I changed again the variable bootmode to its original value: kernel
Code:
./fastboot setvar bootmode kernel
After that I erased the diags_kernel partition:
Code:
./fastboot erase diags_kernel
Flash the uImage to the kernel partition and send a reboot directive:
Code:
./fastboot flash kernel uImage
./fastboot reboot
And finally I was capable to access to the recovery menú:
Code:
[    1.572387] panel_get_upd_modes: Unknown waveform mode. Using MODE_07!
Charge: 77% [##############################################::::::::::::]

Menu
====
3. Load MMC over USB storage
4. Erase MMC
I. Initialize Partition Table (fdisk) and format FAT
O. Format and overwrite FAT partition
E. Export FAT partition
U. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition
M. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition of second MMC port
D. dmesg / kernel printk ring buffer.
Q. quit
Choose:  10 /
Ok, this is my situation up to now, I'll continue reading the MadMAXXX thread and reporte my progress.
Or the Cliff's Notes version:
*) Connect Kindle <-> PC with USB cable.
*) E
*) Place desired version Amazon update image at topmost visible USB storage area.
*) Remove USB cable
*) U
*) Wait
You are done.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:26 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
-
- - - -
that's why I tried to flash the device, making mistakes in the process
- - - -
The menu selection "Erase All" where "All" means, well, like in "Everything" does work.
You really did not need to test it for us.