Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Which is funny, because I was born in the seventies. But I do tend to prefer older stuff.

Give it time
I figured you were a love child. Oops.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I hope all children are love children
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Another funny answer: No. I was planned.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I've either read, or tried to read about half of them. The thing that ties them together is that they appeal to readers who read the Verge. So, can't say that I'm particularly surprised by the choices. I suspect that I would give a different set of recommendations.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:50 PM   #20
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I reccomend Seveneves. Its only one book but a potential for a sequel.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2017, 07:54 PM   #21
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I reccomend Seveneves. Its only one book but a potential for a sequel.
There's potential for a LOT of books in the middle too.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:53 PM   #22
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
There's potential for a LOT of books in the middle too.

Yep. Neal Stephenson can do a lot with that story. He can turn it into quite a series. I hear that Ron Howard was wanting to make a movie of it. i do not know how true that is
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:08 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The question becomes are they good?
@ZodWallop, most appeared to be independent authors.
Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks is awful. Don't bother with it. Major waste of time.

Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh is an odd book. I cannot say if you'll like it. I did and didn't.

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey is good and so is the TV series.

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin is good, but overrated.

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie is excellent. Well worth reading.

Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson is OK. But if you do read this, you'll want to continue to find out what happens.

Old Man’s War by John Scalzi is excellent. Well worth reading.

The rest I have not read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #24
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Opinions vary. I quite liked 'Consider Phlebas' and most of his other Culture series.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Opinions vary. I quite liked 'Consider Phlebas' and most of his other Culture series.
I read it as part of a book club (in person) and most people disliked it. It didn't go over well at all. It's no sense reading a series when the first book is not good. It started out good and got worse as it went along.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #26
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I read it as part of a book club (in person) and most people disliked it. It didn't go over well at all. It's no sense reading a series when the first book is not good. It started out good and got worse as it went along.
Perhaps Consider Phlebas is not representative of the series as a whole. My husband reads very little other than science fiction (or science fact) and Iain M Banks' Culture series is one of his all-time favourites.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Perhaps Consider Phlebas is not representative of the series as a whole. My husband reads very little other than science fiction (or science fact) and Iain M Banks' Culture series is one of his all-time favourites.
it's not representative of a good book as well. The problem is that when the first book of a series is as bad as that, there's no reason to read any more.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #28
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
it's not representative of a good book as well. The problem is that when the first book of a series is as bad as that, there's no reason to read any more.
Obviously, tastes differ, but I would like to point out that unlike most series, Bank's Culture series basically have no characters in common between novels, and the main thing they have in common is a post-scarcity galactic civilization with multiple alien races, the civilization is basically run by a bunch of AIs with quirky names, and that often the AIs call on human-like characters to interact with alien races which are not part of their civilization. While Consider Phlebas, the first Culture novel published appears not to be up for any awards, most of the rest of the series were either award finalist or winners, and there is no compelling reason, other than first published to read it first, or at all.

Personally, I hated Seveneves. I felt it was bloated with infodumps, I hated most of the characters that survived the destruction of Earth's surface, and I didn't care that much for the societies that emerged in the final segment of the book. I thought the chained links and whips were cool though, and I'd love to see NASA experiment with that on the ISS, if they haven't already done so.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:34 AM   #29
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Opinions definitely vary. The Culture series is excellent. I didn't actually start with Consider Phlebas myself, but with the second book, and still my favourite, Player of Games. And it's not so much a series as a set of standalones in the same setting.

Downbelow Station is also one my less preferred entries in its series. Another series which isn't a series, and can be started almost anywhere.

And I didn't get much out of Old Man's War and Leviathan's Wake myself - I much prefer the TV version of the Expanse - but I know they have their fans.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:25 AM   #30
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hey guys.

This article just came up on my phone and thought it would be of interest here. The Verge is recommending 13 sci-fi series for folks that got a new e-reader.

Many of the series I didn't recognize and I couldn't believe Dune wasn't on there. But then, I guess I'm just old.
Do you read many 21st century F/SF books? I've heard of all but one of them, and have read I think six. At least three contain Hugo winners, and one has been adapted into a major TV series.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote