Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-07-2017, 03:52 AM   #1
elwyn5150
elwyn5150 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
sqlite collections

I want to sort my books into collections without using the reader (too slow) or without Calibre (I don't want to have to import everything into calibre and have copies of my books sit on my hard drive).

I am experienced in using SQL and sqlite.

I have read this:
http://shallowsky.com/blog/tech/kobo-hacking.html

I am able to access the sqlite files in the .kobo directory. However, I get an error:
Error: file is encrypted or is not a database

I am running SQLite version 3.6.23.1 on Linux.

1) How do I access this database?
2) If the answer to #1 is "you can't", can I replace it with my own that is not encrypted?
3) If the answer to #2 is "yes", can somebody send me the SQL schema to use? Will I lose my reading history?
elwyn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 AM   #2
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
You can also use AutoShelf to make collections based on folder structure.
that way you don't need to have copies of the books on your hard drive.
(although it's good to have copies of the books on hard drive, in case of device lose/brick).

Last edited by oren64; 03-07-2017 at 05:44 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2017, 04:54 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwyn5150 View Post
I want to sort my books into collections without using the reader (too slow) or without Calibre (I don't want to have to import everything into calibre and have copies of my books sit on my hard drive).

I have read this:

I am able to access the sqlite files in the .kobo directory. However, I get an error:

2) If the answer to #1 is "you can't", can I replace it with my own that is not encrypted?
3) If the answer to #2 is "yes", can somebody send me the SQL schema to use? Will I lose my reading history?
There are two databases, one is encrypted and the other is not. For your purposes only the unencrypted is needed.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
What are you doing for backup of the books? It's to easy to lose the device or need to do a factory reset. Plus calibre is superb for organisation and any needed conversions.
Quote:

I have read this:
That looks OK as a starting guide.
Quote:

You need to update your version of SQLite. Kobo have set the journal mode to WAL. This needs at least SQLite 3.7.
Quote:
Once you fix the SQLite version, you will be OK.

There is also a mod to build collections from the folder structure. It's in the developers for and is called something like "autoshelf".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #5
elwyn5150
elwyn5150 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
You can also use AutoShelf to make collections based on folder structure.
that way you don't need to have copies of the books on your hard drive.
(although it's good to have copies of the books on hard drive, in case of device lose/brick).
Thanks. I'll try that link.

I have one portable hard drive for my ebooks and other media and another portable hard drive which I only ever take out of the box to backup the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
There are two databases, one is encrypted and the other is not. For your purposes only the unencrypted is needed.
Both copies were encrpted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What are you doing for backup of the books? It's to easy to lose the device or need to do a factory reset. Plus calibre is superb for organisation and any needed conversions.
Backed up on portable hard drive and a backup of the backup.

Quote:
You need to update your version of SQLite. Kobo have set the journal mode to WAL. This needs at least SQLite 3.7.
Once you fix the SQLite version, you will be OK.

Ah. Thanks! I probably should have checked for an update. My work still uses 3.6.x
elwyn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

From what I've seen, the KoboReader.sqlite database file is the only one you need to worry about. The BookReader.sqlite is encrypted and I'm not sure what it is used for.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote