Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-15-2023, 05:54 PM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
New 7.8" Nook coming for 2023

New 7.8" Nook coming for 2023 according to goodereader.com

https://goodereader.com/blog/barnes-...023-model-soon

Barnes and Noble are gearing up to launch a new version of their premium e-reader, the Nook Glowlight Plus 2023 edition. The device will have a 7.8-inch screen and will have 300 PPI, which will make fonts razor-sharp. The same design will likely be employed; I do not see the bookseller deviating from it. The existing Nook Glowlight Plus came out in 2019 and was discontinued in the summer of 2022; it isn’t listed on the B&N website. Millions of people would love to see a new Nook come out with modern design principles, with excellent hardware specs at a reasonable price.

B&N is the largest bookseller in the United States. They have been making Nook e-readers since 2009. The new management team, under CEO James Daunt, is bullish on the future of digital products. This includes audiobooks, ebooks, manga, magazines and newspapers. The Nook is receiving top priority, so in the past few years, they have refreshed most of its lineup, such as the ecologically friendly Nook Glowlight 4e.

What is going on with the new Nook? B&N designed a prototype in late 2022 and tested it internally. They settled on the design and filed an FCC application to sell the product in the United States. The application was approved, and in the next few months, mass production will start to occur. The product will hit store shelves in late spring or early summer.

The FCC application says little right now. However, we know that the battery is twice the size of their entry-level e-reader, with 2,4500 mAh, which should last a month. Netronix has been contracted to do the manufacturing and final assembly. B&N has been working with them since the beginning of the Nook e-reader and has a strong relationship with them. The FCC application does not go into any screen sizes or specs, just that it has Bluetooth, WIFI and internal storage powered by an SD card.

Since I have been covering the e-reader industry since 2008, I can infer some specs that the new Nook will employ. It will not be a digital note-taking device like the Remarkable or Kindle Scribe. The company has yet to make many new hires on the Nook team, so I doubt they are moving in this direction. It will employ an E Ink Carta 1200 e-paper display panel since almost every e-reader has it. The main reason is the increase in performance, without any fancy software tricks. Typically page turn speed and navigating the menus increase by 25% to 30% on average. USB C is standard, so that they will go with that. In terms of the colour scheme, I think they will change it from white to the previous generation and go with black. This will add distinction and separation from the previous generation model to the new one; you don’t want to confuse users with the same colour. When the press cycle dies down from the initial release and product reviews, they will go with another limited edition colour, like what they did with the Nook Glowlight Pearl Pink Limited Edition model. What colour would you like to see?

It will also have Bluetooth like all other Nooks. However, they will not support audiobooks anytime soon. This is a mistake, and I have brought it up with them numerous times. You can’t buy audiobooks on the Nook app for Windows, Android or iOS. They want to avoid paying these companies a percentage of each transaction. However, they control the entire billing and distribution process on their e-readers, so there is no middleman. All e-readers these days support audiobooks. Amazon has Audible on the Kindle; Kobo has its audiobook solution; Apple sells audiobooks; Spotify got into it recently. Android e-readers from Bigme and Onyx have Bluetooth and speakers and full Play Store access. It feels like out of the big three players in the e-reader space, Nook is the odd man out.

I am excited about a new flagship Nook e-reader. People love large screen displays since digital content and consumption habits have changed in the past four or five years. Webtoons and manga are prominent in the US right now. It would be great to view all of this on a new Nook. What features would you like to see in a new Nook e-reader?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 12:13 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Couple of comments.

The WiFi is 2.4GHz only, no 5GHz. The antenna is a 2.4GHz only device and the testing only mentions 2.4GHz channels.

The only mentions in the published materials that I saw listed the battery as 3.85V, 2500mAH Li-Ion which is just a bit smaller than the 24500mAH listed by BadeReader.

Lastly, there is no mention in the publicly accessible FCC information as to what the internal storage of the device is (eMMC, µSD card, whatever).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2023, 04:48 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It doesn't matter how good the hardware is if the software is going to be lousy. And is B&N going to partition the storage again?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:34 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It doesn't matter how good the hardware is if the software is going to be lousy. And is B&N going to partition the storage again?
I like the Nook UI, more than Kindle or Kobo really. I just wish Calibre could access the database to control series and collections.

And yeah, that partitioned storage sucks.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:42 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I like the Nook UI, more than Kindle or Kobo really. I just wish Calibre could access the database to control series and collections.

And yeah, that partitioned storage sucks.
The UI will do in a pinch, but I can't swallow the paucity of customization options. As long as that doesn't change for the better, I'm not going to buy another Nook, no matter how nice the hardware is. Rooting etc is too much bother for me, and it's a real pain to get page turn buttons to work in third-party apps anyway.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2023, 12:36 PM   #6
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I'm curious enough to want to know the specs and UI once more info is available. I'd like to see B&N make a serious stab at this, even though past experience doesn't support that hope!
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 04:10 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I think this is going to come down to price. The Kobo Sage is $270.00. How much will/can B&N charge for a (nearly) same-size device?

Extrapolating from my own preferences, after having an Aura One, I'd much rather not go smaller than 7.8" for my armchair device, but the Sage price is on the eye-watering side. Could the new Nook go for $199? Or possibly $219, which would still be cheaper than the (smaller) Oasis?

The brick and mortar stores are booming; perhaps they'll get marketing the Nook in-store right this time? Because I don't think they'll get people to switch from Kindle, but need to find new converts to eink.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:51 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I would love to find out what the device screen size will be. It could be 7.8", 8", 10.2/3" or even 6". As usual, BadeReader pulled that number for the screen size out of thin air. Going by the label placement image, I doubt that it will be a 10+" device but I could very easily be wrong.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-17-2023 at 09:53 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 11:49 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I would love to find out what the device screen size will be. It could be 7.8", 8", 10.2/3" or even 6".
The Glowlight 4 is still too new to replace, though I would be happy to be proven wrong I guess. Waterproof that puppy and remove the partitioning and I'd be a happy camper.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:22 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The Glowlight 4 is still too new to replace, though I would be happy to be proven wrong I guess. Waterproof that puppy and remove the partitioning and I'd be a happy camper.
And make a decent UI.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 09:52 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And make a decent UI.
I like the UI on the Nook. I like the six large covers in library view more than Kobo's eight small covers, for instance. In general, I like how the Nook's software looks. Though a change to the home page to get rid of the recommendations strip would be nice.

Series and shelf control via Calibre would be great too. But that's not UI.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:01 AM   #12
christianbk
Connoisseur
christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.christianbk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: At least one of each brand
7.8” or higher screen. Waterproofing. No partition of storage. And quicker + responsiveness, along with some UI improvements. That’s what I’d like to see.
christianbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 12:23 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianbk View Post
7.8” or higher screen. Waterproofing. No partition of storage. And quicker + responsiveness, along with some UI improvements. That’s what I’d like to see.
You know, Nook really does need to work on speed. They are very slow, using the same or similar hardware as their competitors.
Old 04-18-2023, 01:38 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
You know, Nook really does need to work on speed. They are very slow, using the same or similar hardware as their competitors.
I read that the latest Nook is faster? Is it not true?

The only Nook I've had, the 2019 7.8'' Nook, was slow as molasses, true enough. Not page turning really, but navigating, dictionary lookups, opening books and so on.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:43 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I read that the latest Nook is faster? Is it not true?

The only Nook I've had, the 2019 7.8'' Nook, was slow as molasses, true enough. Not page turning really, but navigating, dictionary lookups, opening books and so on.
I've only played with the Glowlight 4 in the store. It's hopefully fine. But my 2015 Glowlight Plus (they shoulda just called it Glowlight 2) and Glowlight 3 are slow.

The reading experience I have no problems with. I enjoy using my Nooks. But the rest of it is pretty slow as you mention.