Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
rajil.s
rajil.s began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ereader to replace Jabref

Hi,

I have a collection of technical papers (mainly pdf's) which are presently indexed using jabref on my computer. I am looking for an ereader which has a good library frontend so that i can carry the pdfs around.

Kindle unfortunately isnt very good in that respect since the collections cannot be nested. Also, there is no way to access the folders on the kindle too.

Is there any device which offers good library management, pdf support and access to folders.

Cheers
rajil.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For PDFs you're best using a tablet rather than an eInk device; the overwhelming majority of PDFs are formatted for A4/letter pages, and can't be sensibly displayed on a small screen.

An iPad with the "Goodreader" app is superb for reading and managing PDFs and supports folders, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
rajil.s
rajil.s began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks for your response, but I would rather stick to a eInk to save my eyes. I guess I am looking for the best among the worst devices for pdf support.

Kindle is no good. Do Sony or Kobo ereader support folders and better pdf functionality compared with kindle?

Last edited by rajil.s; 05-09-2012 at 04:40 PM.
rajil.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
If you're going with a small screen, you could do worse than the iriver Story HD. It's got the highest resolution available in a 6-inch e-ink reader, and its pdf support is very good. It has a Folder View mode which is great for managing the collection. I got mine mainly to read pdf math papers and notes, and I've been very happy with it. But I understand Target is sold out, so you'd have to find a secondhand one online or something.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Was going to say, I too am a very happy owner of Iriver Story HD.

It is the best of 6 inch readers for PDFs mostly because of the 1024x768 screen but also because of the newer CPU used in larger e-readers.

It does a good job of displaying PDFs in reflow mode and would do a fine job for PDFs without reflow if only the device was 9.7 instead of 6 inch! That is the screen is too small for my eyes to read it but you can see it display all the details which 800x600 screens of Kindle and every other 6 inch device just cannot do.

Oh and page turn time is quite good. If someone would make an identical device with a larger screen size I would happily pay $200-300 for it.

The other serious options would be Pocketbook 912 and Onyxbook M92 but those are very expensive >$400 compared to $50 price for Story HD. I do not own them thus can not comment any further.

There is also Kindle DX but it is relatively dated (older CPU thus slower page turn) and as you said Kindle library management is not to your liking.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert