Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
K3 and azw3

Whenever I have a azw3 file, my k3 ignores my alt and also uses really wide line spacing. I just end up converting them to mobi to get it to use my alt font, which is rather dumb. I don't see the "use publisher font" option, because I don't think the book actually has embedded font. It's just using caecillia (i think) instead of my alt font.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Did you try changing the line spacing via the Kindle?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Did you try changing the line spacing via the Kindle?
I can change the line spacing, but of course when I switch b/t a mobi book and azw3 I have to change the line spacing, because k3 seems to use different line spacing baselines for the two formats.

More importantly, I can't change the font. I can't get it to use my alt (user loaded) font.

Last edited by Barty; 04-29-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Line spacing seems to be a bug in rendering of azw3 files. So far no fix available.

Don't know about alt fonts.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@Barty: alt font "hack" (done via reader.pref editing) only works for old mobi format, not kf8/azw3 (default font,Caecilia, is used for azw3). If you want to use the same font for both mobi and azw3 you will have to jailbreak your Kindle 3 and install this font hack, delete nobrowser file (to activate support for azw3 nad web browser font), and add you custom font files, and restart your Kindle 3. But first read all the instructions for that font hack (so you don't get suprised when you realize that Kindle restart takes quite some time).

As for the huge line spacing, try using modified version of Charis SIL font, which was modified to have smaller/normal (quite similar to line spacing of old mobi books) line spacing when you're reading azw3 book.

Last edited by shamanNS; 04-30-2013 at 11:05 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
Barty
doofus

ok, thanks. I didn't like the system font that the hack used so I uninstalled it and went the alt route instead.