Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #556
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Thanks. Already downloaded. It's too bad that it isn't WhisperSync enabled. At least not yet.
Now WS enabled, just bought it for $1.99

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-22-2017 at 05:10 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #557
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Now WS enabled, just bought it for $1.99
I suppose I should have waited. But I'm glad it's WhisperSync enabled. Will make for better re-reading.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #558
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
So I just jumped into this universe, using the reading order Xanthe recommended. Its a nice change of pace from epic, world-ending, cast of thousands fantasy.

Local Custom was a bit more romance than I would like but it was okay.
Scout's Progress was much better. It helped that I like Daav more than Er Thom anyway.

Conflict of Honors is good so far.

Spoiler:
After reading the books back to back, I was a bit sad to hear that Anne and Er Thom are both already dead. Since Anne died "tragically" I assume I'll hear more about it at some point.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #559
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ah, you have much fun in front of you, mewgartigan. And, FWIW, Local Custom was an unabashed hommage to Georgette Heyer, so if you don't like Heyer, you're unlikely to find this your favourite book in the Liaden Universe. It does, however, have a lot of useful information and world-building for exactly how this whole thing holds together.

I've given up deciding what the "correct" reading order is, beyond noting that certain books are direct sequels, and some others build on information in previous books. But even there, I find it matters less than I thought. Whatever order you choose, enjoy the journey.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #560
CRussel
(he/him/his)

New Liaden Short: Due Diligence

Up on the usual places, without DRM, is Due Diligence, a story set in the time of Chi yos'Phellium. This is an excellent addition to the Universe, and tells a story I've often wondered about. Highly recommended.
Advert
Old 07-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #561
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
ah, you have much fun in front of you, mewgartigan. And, FWIW, Local Custom was an unabashed hommage to Georgette Heyer, so if you don't like Heyer, you're unlikely to find this your favourite book in the Liaden Universe. It does, however, have a lot of useful information and world-building for exactly how this whole thing holds together.

I've given up deciding what the "correct" reading order is, beyond noting that certain books are direct sequels, and some others build on information in previous books. But even there, I find it matters less than I thought. Whatever order you choose, enjoy the journey.
Now reading Agent of Change, which is a change of pace from the others.

Spoiler:
in addition to my previous disappointment about Anne and Er Thom I now find out that Aelliana died when he was young! Maybe reading the parents stories first wasn't a good idea, haha!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:33 AM   #562
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Agent was the first written and published. Personally, I prefer that for my reading order.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #563
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I have read Liaden series 3-4 times the last 2 times I have tried to follow the chronology timeline from here http://liaden.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
I even broke up multi short story books etc in calibre to individual ebooks so that I can place them by timeline but its getting harder as more and more short stories are released in different parts of the timeline.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #564
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Anyone know if there is going to be another collection/Constellation of Liaden short stories?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:00 AM   #565
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Anyone know if there is going to be another collection/Constellation of Liaden short stories?
I expect so, once there are enough stories to fill it up. And they do like to write stories.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #566
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Neogenesis eARC

Neogenesis by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller is now available as an eARC**. Get your copy here: http://www.baen.com/neogenesis-earc.html

Quote:

Menace from Back Space Looming out of the Dust of Time

The Complex Logic Laws were the result of a war waged hundreds of years in the past, when two human powers threw massive AI navies at each other and nearly annihilated themselves. Being human, they blamed their tools for this near miss; they destroyed what was left of the sentient ships, and made it illegal to be, manufacture, or shelter an independent logic.

Strangely, however, the Free Ships and other AIs did not turn themselves in or suicide, they merely became wary of humans, and stayed under their scans. A clandestine support network grew up, including hidden yards where smart ships were manufactured, and mentors--humans specially trained to ease a new intelligence into the universe--socialized them, and taught them what they needed to know to survive.

Among those with a stake in the freedom of Independent Logics is Theo Waitley, who is somewhat too famously the captain of intelligent ship Bechimo. Theo's brother, Val Con yos'Phelium, presides over a household that has for a generation employed an AI butler. Recently, he approved the "birth" of the butler's child, who was sent, with human mentor Tolly Jones, to rescue or destroy an orphaned AI abandoned at a remote space station.

Then there's Uncle, the shadowy mastermind from the Old Universe, whose many projects often skirt the boundaries of law, both natural and man-made – and the puppet-masters at the Lyre Institute, whose history is just as murky – and a good deal less honorable.

All have an interest in the newly-awakening Self-Aware Logic that is rumored to have the power to destroy universes.

The question is: Who will get to it first?
Published: 9/21/2017
SKU: A9781481482783
Ebook Price: $15.00
bernie

**.eARC
Quote:
What is an eARC?

An eARC is an Advance Reader Copy. This is an unproofed manuscript and is guaranteed to be full of typos and error. It is pretty much raw from the author's word processor. But you get the entire eARC well in advance of even the Monthly Baen Bundle release.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #567
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Got it! And started reading it already.

Thanks for posting it.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #568
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Neogenesis by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller is now available as an eARC**. Get your copy here: http://www.baen.com/neogenesis-earc.html
Excellent! This book has a bit of everyone, from Yuli Shaper, to Theo, to Tocohl, to Hazenthull and Tolly Jones. Oh, and lets not forget Daav and Aelliana. Or all sorts of others. Many threads are pulled together, preparatory to "The Fifth of Five", which should be out sometime late next year. Oh, and remember Stost and Chernak, two Yxtrang from the Before...

Highly recommended. If you can wait, it will be officially released in January, at $9.99 I'm guessing, since there will be a hardcover version. But why wait. The eARC is only $15, and it's quite clean. I did spot a couple of minor typos, but they were really minor.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #569
CRussel
(he/him/his)

For those who've already read the Neogenesis eARC, and are eagerly awaiting the Fifth-of-Five (which doesn't yet have a title, but is beginning to be thought of as Monkey Business), Sharon Lee has posted a minimal update on her blog, and a snippet!

The little Healer was not a monster, though he had wielded necessity like a surgeon's knife, terrifying in his virtue.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #570
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Another snippet from fifth of five

Quote:
Captain Waitley wasn't quite what Portmaster Liu had been expecting.

No, scratch that, in a lot of ways, Captain Waitley was exactly what Portmaster Liu had been expecting: short for a Terran, tall for a Liaden, lean for the height she did have; shoulders showing attitude under a Jump jacket older and bigger than she was. Whatever else she was – and recklessly negligent wasn't off the table, in Portmaster Liu's not-exactly-objective opinion – Theo Waitley was definitely a member of Boss Conrad's extended family, Clan Korval. Portmaster Liu had been spending a lot of time lately with the Boss and the Boss's little brother, the Road Boss; she knew the family look when she saw it.
Reposted from Sharon Lee's blog