Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Amazon's page number mechanism on non-Amazon ebooks??

Supposedly, epub format books purchased elsewhere and converted to mobi for the Kindle 3 can end up getting Amazon's print-edition page number info.

Anyone seen this or know if it's true?

If true, how does it happen?
I would have thought that the page number info was tied to a specific filename or ASIN, but if converted books get the info, then it must be based on title/author metadata or similar? Surely the Kindle isn't phoning home ebook CONTENT to Amazon?

Thanks for any insight?

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Page numbers are in a separate .apnx file, one for each ebook. The Kindle apps "phone home", and so user-supplied APNX files probably don't work, but they do work on the K3.

Calibre's Kindle driver automatically adds "virtual" page numbers based on text counts. See also [GUI Plugin] APNX Generator .
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, but what I mean is, say I get "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells from epubbooks.com or what have you.
I convert the epub to mobi and put it on my Kindle. Eventually, I see page number info, so I apparently got an .apnx file from Amazon? Did the Kindle phone home with the title and author of every file on my Kindle, and Amazon was nice enough to respond with an .apnx file for any matches in it's database?
I mean, that's really generous of them, in a scary, Big Brother kind of way.
If that is indeed what is happening.
ApK
Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK
I convert the epub to mobi and put it on my Kindle. Eventually, I see page number info, so I apparently got an .apnx file from Amazon? Did the Kindle phone home with the title and author of every file on my Kindle, and Amazon was nice enough to respond with an .apnx file for any matches in it's database?
No. If you used Calibre to convert to mobi, then Calibre put the .apnx file on your Kindle. Not Amazon. The Kindle Interface Driver plugin in Calibre now sends the .apnx file file by default.

But they're "calculated" page numbers. They don't coincide with a specific physical incarnation of the book.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
ApK

Ah. Thanks. That's a much more comfortable explanation.
I rarely use the "send to device" button myself, so I had never noticed this. (I send most stuff via email.)
I had no idea it was an automatic default behavior.

Doing a search, I do indeed see that a few of my own converted ePubs have .apnx files. Neat.

Do you happen to know if there is some signature I can look for in the .apnx to indicate it was created by Calibre? Glancing at the files just with notepad, I presume the ones with a value in the human-readable "ASIN" field came from Amazon, but is there any thing else?

Last edited by ApK; 04-25-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Advert