Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #16
blak4dr
Zealot
blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 623, Kobo Glo HD, Aura One,Aura H2O2
blak4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #17
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroso View Post
Charge the Opus often and never let the battery go dead. The battery meter is unrealiable at first because it takes the battery some charging cycles to be calibrated. The meter may still read 20% or even 80% with an empty battery. See the datails in this thread, where I found about this.

I am telling my experience as a new Opus user in the BOOKEEN page on Facebook.
Yeah...wow...just had this happen apparently. I of course fully charged it Thursday when I got it...I've read 4 or 5 books on it since. Last night when I went to bed the battery showed a 40% charge. I just went to wake it up to read a few minutes before bed and it was dead. It's now plugged in and charging.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 05:30 AM   #18
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Yeah...wow...just had this happen apparently.
BOOKEN said that they will mention the battery charging issue in the FAQ.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #19
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure the battery got fully charged either. It was plugged in via USB for 3 or 4 hours but given the firmware version on it, had been in stock at Newegg for quite a while and I don't believe it powered on until I had it plugged in. When I unplugged it from USB, it said 100% but it may have been a lie.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Quote:
Come to think of it, I'm not sure the battery got fully charged either. It was plugged in via USB for 3 or 4 hours [...]
According to the Opus manual, it takes 5 hours for a full charge.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #21
texasnightowl
Guru

I guess now that I'm about 5 days in I should say whether I like it or not :>

On the whole, yes I do like it.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the 5" screen (being used to the K1 6") but it doesn't bother me. I've read 4 or 5 books on it with no problem.

It is very lightweight which is nice. The screen is very good. I thought the buttons, being small and hard to press in comparison to a K1 would bother me more than they do. They aren't that bad. I wish they were a little easier to access/press without using my fingernail - I guess what I mean is I wish they extended a little higher from the surrounding plastic - but I'm getting used to them.

I'll get the battery situation sorted out...it did get fully charged overnight so we'll see how things go with battery life.

Will it replace my K1 for me...probably not. But it likely will be the device that goes with me more places because it fits in my purse more easily. The K1 will probably be my at-home device.

Overall, a nice little device...worth the orginal $249 or $199...maybe not, but a very nice deal at Newegg's closeout price last Sunday.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #22
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:

I'll get the battery situation sorted out...it did get fully charged overnight so we'll see how things go with battery life.

Will it replace my K1 for me...probably not. But it likely will be the device that goes with me more places because it fits in my purse more easily. The K1 will probably be my at-home device.

Overall, a nice little device...worth the orginal $249 or $199...maybe not, but a very nice deal at Newegg's closeout price last Sunday.
I've had great battery life with the Opus. Particularly when I've gone to read on my Nook and been down around 10% :P

Every time I use the Nook and decide it is the perfect device, and get ready to post the Opus for sale, I pick it up and fall in love again. Now that I know I can use my own fonts, I'm playing again.

I think if Bookeen could get it down to $99, they'd sell a ton of them this Christmas - Kindle owners would buy one for ePub library books, and people like me who have been reading on LCD phones would give one a try.

My only complaint is that PDF is horrible - it doesn't reflow like it does on my Nook or the Sony models. But PDF is only 1 out of every 10 library books I get, so I can live with it.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #23
texasnightowl
Guru

Hmm...gotta say I'm a little worried about my battery. Yesterday, it went from showing 80% to 60% over the course of 8 hrs when it was in sleep mode! I finished reading a book last night and it still said 60%. A little while ago I was on the library screen, deleting the read books and going into one or two of the other books to see how it looked and then returning to the library screen. At different points it would show 60, 40, 50 and then back to 60 or 40. Weird. It then got plugged into my PC for a few minutes to put some other books on it. It was plugged in for around 10 minutes. And right now it shows 70%. I don't believe it :>

So, besides Bookeen's website, any other place to find a battery that fits?
Old 08-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #24
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Battery meter is totally messed since 2.1 update. Your battery is most likely fine.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #25
texasnightowl
Guru

Hmm...I only read 2 books...roughly 320 pages each....plus maybe another 50 pages on a 3rd and the battery only lasted a week. Is this normal? I completely charged it last Sunday night the 22nd and unplugged it when done (around 1a.m. Monday morning). Over the week I read 2 books on it. I read a couple chapters out of 2 other books. Saturday afternoon while my car was getting inspected I pulled it out and the battery showed 50% (though it flip flopped between 40% up to 50%). Took about 20 minutes to inspect my car at which time I put it back in sleep mode. Tried to turn it on last night and it was dead, dead, dead.

In comparison to my Kindle 1, battery life is sucking pretty bad.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #26
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Not normal. My battery usually lasts weeks. I recharge it when it gets to below 50% and that happens after a couple of weeks.

I usually turn it on during the day, reading it on and off as time permits. Letting it go into sleep mode when I leave it for a while.

When I know that I won't be reading it for a while (like right before I got to sleep), I will do a full shutdown on it.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:11 PM   #27
texasnightowl
Guru

yeah, that's what I figured.

As far as I know, my only option with Newegg would be a straight return.
So I guess I will contact Bookeen and see if there is any chance they would send me a new battery since the device is *new* in that I just purchased it, no matter how long NewEgg actually had it in warehouse.

The other option is to simply purchase a replacement battery myself, but the only place I see to buy them is from Bookeen at $45!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #28
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
yeah, that's what I figured.

As far as I know, my only option with Newegg would be a straight return.
So I guess I will contact Bookeen and see if there is any chance they would send me a new battery since the device is *new* in that I just purchased it, no matter how long NewEgg actually had it in warehouse.

The other option is to simply purchase a replacement battery myself, but the only place I see to buy them is from Bookeen at $45!
Are you absolutely certain that you are putting it to sleep in between uses, versus just leaving it on the last page?

The reason I ask is that I usually just read at home and leave it on the last page on my nightstand. But on a recent business trip with snippets of free time and I kept stuffing it back in the slipcase without sleeping it. And the battery was dropping rapidly.

I didn't catch on to the problem at first, until I realized three separate times that I had to put it back on the page I had left it on - it was ending up on random pages.

When you don't put it in sleep, it still reads button presses AND the accelerometer kept activating as it floated around in my bag. Needless to say, the battery drained in half a day, versus the normal 12+ days I had seen before.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #29
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Are you absolutely certain that you are putting it to sleep in between uses, versus just leaving it on the last page?
Well, I'm absolutely sure I put it into the mode where a screensaver page displays. That is what I am referring to as sleep mode. And then to bring it out and start reading again you just have to quickly hit the power button. That is the mode I've been using and barely getting 6-7 days.

I do like the Opus quite a bit and if I could get a battery for less than $63 I might consider keeping it, but right now I'm leaning towards returning it to NewEgg as my 30 days is almost up.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #30
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I guess there is nothing wrong with your battery.
You don't put your opus off, you put it into some kind of standby which drains the battery down.
If you want to have a battery which lasts many days or weeks you shall put off the device not by a short but by a looong push on the button. Afterwards you will be asked: Are you sure you want to shutdown the device?
If you love your opus in all other aspects, please try and compare.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote