Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Code needed so OI will mark chapters?

Hi All,

I don't really know much about the code needed to do funky things with epub files. Normally I don't even use the code view, I only need Sigil to edit typos or spelling errors and that kind of thing. So I'm hoping someone can help me out.

However, I'm not sure if this is a Sigil or OpenInkpot thing but here goes.....

OpenInkpot has a progress bar at the bottom of each page. It uses little lines to mark where each chapter starts. Great way to get an idea of how big each chapter is.

Anyways, I've got an epub file that is broken into chapters as per normal but OI doesn't display those little lines in the progress bar. For some reason I find this very annoying and would like to try to fix it.

I'm assuming the start of each chapter should have some sort of code that OI uses to draw these lines and this epub file doesn't have them for some reason.

Can anyone help me out with some code that will do this?

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FBReader (e.g. in OpenInkPot) marks "sections", and in my experience a section is simply anything that is in the table of contents.

So I assume your ePub does not have a table of contents, and adding one will produce section marks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply wallcraft.

Is there a quick easy outline of how to add a toc anywhere around here?
Old 07-05-2010, 03:35 AM   #4
edella
edella is on a distinguished road

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Thanks for the reply wallcraft.

Is there a quick easy outline of how to add a toc anywhere around here?
Yes, sigil have a tutorial that is wonderful -- you can click on it from 'home' on the sigil website. It doesn't tell you everything about everything, but my goodness, its a good basic starting point.

The whole issue of TOCs is what led me to sigil in the first place, as I'm slowly epub'ing well loved books and magazines that my eyes can't see any more -- its really useful to be able to jump to the bits that you want. And to have calibre there to cuastomise enormous font sizes.

Another useful document, on the sigil wiki I think, is called prioofreading an epub document, and goes through the various points. Its a very handy check list and should help you spot any obvious flaw.

If you don't want to fiddle about, I suppose, if its your epub production and you have the proofed oriinal .txt file, why not start5 from scratch and run it through sigil, a very fast process, doing all 'four recommended steps' (epub conversion, meta info, TOC, (forgot no.4!) and see if that comes out better.

regards from edella in the UK, more temperamentally inclined to have another go than to winnow out an error -- programmer material I am not!
edella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
PKFFW
Wizard

Hi edella,

Thanks for the info. I had not noticed the tutorial before as I had never needed it.

I shall give it a try.

Cheers,
PKFFW
Advert