Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Percy Jackson and The Olympians, anyone read it?

I been seeing the posters on bus stops since October here in Philly. I just thought it was a new Disney thing.

I was hooking up my Dad's Blu-ray player I got him for his Birthday and tried out the Night at the Museum to get the sound working.

The Preview was for Percy Jack and The Olympians, and it looked like something up my alley. Also said it was book, so I wanted to see if I should check it out.

Are these Kids books? Or is it a book like Harry Potter, where it is written for younger people, but Adults can enjoy it too ?(never read Harry Potter, but know a lot of Adults who love it).
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
I been seeing the posters on bus stops since October here in Philly. I just thought it was a new Disney thing.

I was hooking up my Dad's Blu-ray player I got him for his Birthday and tried out the Night at the Museum to get the sound working.

The Preview was for Percy Jack and The Olympians, and it looked like something up my alley. Also said it was book, so I wanted to see if I should check it out.

Are these Kids books? Or is it a book like Harry Potter, where it is written for younger people, but Adults can enjoy it too ?(never read Harry Potter, but know a lot of Adults who love it).
It is a young adult book series, similar to Harry Potter-I only read the first one, but found it enjoyable, as did my 15 year old son.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
It is a young adult book series, similar to Harry Potter-I only read the first one, but found it enjoyable, as did my 15 year old son.
thanks for the prompt response.

I love Mythology whether it be greek or roman or whatever, so it seems really cool having it into modern times.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
thanks for the prompt response.

I love Mythology whether it be greek or roman or whatever, so it seems really cool having it into modern times.
I do too! This is perfect for you, then-hope you enjoy!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
rock
Addict

Thanks. I found it at cyberread, but it is mobi pocket protected. Need to take the DRM off if I want to use it with my Astak.
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 03:33 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I've got the paper copies of the series, and I enjoyed them enough to buy all 5. I don't have ebook copies though, so I don't know how good they are.

The story is crafted pretty well and flows easily. Each book is a little on the predictable side (heavy-handed with the clue bat, you might say), but that's because the primary audience is indeed younger and less experienced with foreshadowing techniques. For adults, the books read really quickly. Good fun overall and none of the books in the series are especially weak.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
rock
Addict

Reading the first one, and I got up to Aunty Em.

I am really liking how Greek Mythology ties into the Real world. I like the characters.

Only thing now is I saw the movie trailer, and they already change too much lol.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Bought the first one for my nephew for Christmas. Can't wait to see how he likes it.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
At the screening of Avatar there was a trailer for the forthcoming Percy movie. It looks good. Maybe I'll have to check out the books.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
I read the excerpt of the 1rst one, seems promising to me ! I think I'll buy it (as soon as my purse isn't so flat ! )
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
rock
Addict

First book was really good. from the Movie Trailer, it seems they changed a lot about the book though. Like extrememly a lot just from the short trailer.

Though I don't mind, as I really enjoyed it, and I am reading book 2 now. Fast reads because they are so easy. If you like Greek Mythology, you will like this. Very very cool concept.