Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Joystick Split in 2

I don't know if anyone has had a similar issue but today while using my Kindle, the joystick split when I went to look-up a word. It's peculiar because I've taken really good care of this thing. It probably gets less use than most Kindle 2 units out there because I do a lot of reading on my iPod Touch and I still read paper books. Since I first received my Kindle 2 in March, I've probably only read a handful of complete books on the thing. Here's what the damage looks like:

Close up:

I did a brief search on the forum and didn't see anyone with a similar issue. The device retains most of its functionality. I can push the two pieces back together and continue to use the joystick (albeit more delicately). Obviously it's still under warranty since the Kindle 2 hasn't even been out for a year. It's just annoying having to send it in first and then wait for them to fix it and get back to you. All the while I'm without an eink device (I sent my original Kindle to my parents). Well, if it must be done, it must be done. There's no reason I should have to put up with such a shoddy piece of equipment. I hope Amazon covers it.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
There was an issue like yours (split joystick) on the Amazon Discussion board - The person reported that Amazon immediately overnighted a replacement with a shipping label to return the damaged unit. Hope your experience goes as well.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
There was an issue like yours (split joystick) on the Amazon Discussion board - The person reported that Amazon immediately overnighted a replacement with a shipping label to return the damaged unit. Hope your experience goes as well.
Ah yes, the Kindle Board. I always forget that place exists. I always default to here. Haha. Thanks for the reply. I'm a little more optimistic now. Now I need to see if I can get them to ship it to an APO address...
Old 08-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter

Just got off the phone with Kindle Customer Support. They said they would do exactly as you described. Better still, they're sending it to my APO address, which I couldn't even order the Kindle from. Unfortunately APO/FPO addresses can't support overnight shipping (would be pretty amazing if they did, my living on the other side of the world and all). So I should get my new Kindle probably by the end of the first week of September. I'm happy with that. If Sony had that kind of customer support, they'd probably be in a much stronger position.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
That is such an odd thing to happen. I use the hell out of mine and it is still rock solid. Hell, I have even dropped the freaking thing
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Just got off the phone with Kindle Customer Support. They said they would do exactly as you described. Better still, they're sending it to my APO address, which I couldn't even order the Kindle from. Unfortunately APO/FPO addresses can't support overnight shipping (would be pretty amazing if they did, my living on the other side of the world and all). So I should get my new Kindle probably by the end of the first week of September. I'm happy with that. If Sony had that kind of customer support, they'd probably be in a much stronger position.
I am so glad Amazon CS lived up to the report I had read on the other forum! Happy reading!
Old 08-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter

Also, just so anyone who cares knows, Amazon couldn't give me prepaid postage because I'm overseas. I think it would have been fine because military post offices don't charge more than post offices back state side (I think the cost is like sending a package from California or something). At any rate, I'll just have to report the tracking number and price back to Amazon and they'll reimburse me. Being in the military, waiting on reimbursements is nothing new to me. In fact, I'm willing to bet Amazon is more prompt in paying me back than Uncle Sam usually is. Haha.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
In fact, I'm willing to bet Amazon is more prompt in paying me back than Uncle Sam usually is. Haha.
The government is good at taking but not giving...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If Sony had that kind of customer support, they'd probably be in a much stronger position.
Sony's "joystick" doesn't split. That said, if your Kindle it out of warranty, you have to buy a new Kindle to get it fixed. Sony allows you to purchase a refurbished unit in place of your out of warranty broken unit. I've read on MR it costing in the $30 range when a screen was broken.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #10
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony's "joystick" doesn't split. That said, if your Kindle it out of warranty, you have to buy a new Kindle to get it fixed. Sony allows you to purchase a refurbished unit in place of your out of warranty broken unit. I've read on MR it costing in the $30 range when a screen was broken.
Yes, Sony's "joystick" does not split. But when my screen broke I never saw anywhere it being as cheap as $30 to replace. I may have been looking for an excuse to try the Kindle but I'm glad I did. I enjoy it more than the Sony. To each his own, of course.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:32 AM   #11
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter

I doubt anyone cares but I got my new Kindle today. It arrived faster than a book I ordered before contacting Amazon Customer Service. A week is about par for something to get delivered to an overseas military address but the Kindle wasn't actually shipped until Sept. 2 and it arrived on the 6th. Four days is pretty impressive when sending over here. So big thumbs up to Amazon on this one. Now where the hell is my copy of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell? That thing was shipped 11 days ago...
Old 09-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
I doubt anyone cares but I got my new Kindle today. It arrived faster than a book I ordered before contacting Amazon Customer Service. A week is about par for something to get delivered to an overseas military address but the Kindle wasn't actually shipped until Sept. 2 and it arrived on the 6th. Four days is pretty impressive when sending over here. So big thumbs up to Amazon on this one. Now where the hell is my copy of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell? That thing was shipped 11 days ago...
Well, I'm glad Amazon CS lived up to what I had reported from the Amazon Discussion Boards! Happy reading!
You'll love Jonathan Strange (when it arrives - it's a massive tome - probably why it's taking so long - the carrier pigeon is exhausted!). Too bad it's not an ebook yet!