Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you don't know how to configure Calibre properly or format shift/fix KF8, then you could have a mess on your hands. It's not worth the hassle if you don't know Calibre well enough.
While that may be true for you, it certainly doesn't apply to everyone. For me, the formatting isn't as important...as long as I can read the words, I'm good.

I'm curious as to what you consider "a mess" that happens with conversion? (I'm not talking about something like DNSB's example where the author/publisher used specialized formatting to create an effect. Something like that might not even survive the change from one epub device to another)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I want to know is why so many people with a new enough Kindle convert ePub (and sometimes KF8) to Mobi? Mobi is obsolete and there is no need for Mobi any longer. as long as the Kindle handles KF8.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
While that may be true for you, it certainly doesn't apply to everyone. For me, the formatting isn't as important...as long as I can read the words, I'm good.

I'm curious as to what you consider "a mess" that happens with conversion? (I'm not talking about something like DNSB's example where the author/publisher used specialized formatting to create an effect. Something like that might not even survive the change from one epub device to another)

Shari
I consider it a mess when some formatting is used that Mobi doesn't properly handle. That's one reason Mobi should not be used unless the Kindle cannot handle KF8.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #19
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
What I want to know is why so many people with a new enough Kindle convert ePub (and sometimes KF8) to Mobi? Mobi is obsolete and there is no need for Mobi any longer. as long as the Kindle handles KF8.
I convert to dual mobi so that I can email books to my Kindle cloud.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Probably because it works. For most of what people are reading, there isn't anything in the code of the books that doesn't work with MOBI. Or nothing that they care about.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The thing is, Mobi needs to die. It's one of those really annoying formats that should have no reason to exist any longer.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #22
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Because that's the default for the Kindle in Calibre, or at least it was last time I looked, and it works perfectly.

Another advantages of mobi is that it also works in the Kobo, although not as well as epub. Basically if I make an epub and a mobi version of a book when I get it I have a ready to read copy for whatever device or app I might read it on, now or in the future.

Obsolete is your term. As long as they worked perfectly they don't seem very obsolete to me.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #23
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The thing is, Mobi needs to die. It's one of those really annoying formats that should have no reason to exist any longer.
Why does mobi need to die?

I'm 76 and there might be those who would say that I'm annoying and they see no reason for me to exist longer, but I plan to keep right on existing. So, I suspect, does mobi.

Barry
Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #24
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Kf8 has superior formatting options that mobi doesn't have. Since it meets or exceeds mobi in everyway and is supported by every Kindle 3rd generation and on it doesn't make sense to keep using mobi. The only exception is Project Gutenberg still uses the format for their Kindle ebooks.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Kf8 has superior formatting options that mobi doesn't have. Since it meets or exceeds mobi in everyway and is supported by every Kindle 3rd generation and on it doesn't make sense to keep using mobi. The only exception is Project Gutenberg still uses the format for their Kindle ebooks.
There are valid reasons to use features in KF8 that don't exist in Mobi. So with Mobi you can quite easily get a subpar reading experience.

One example is embedded fonts instead of a graphic images. Mobi you get those nice crappy graphics instead of the fonts.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #26
JBSimms
JBSimms began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
sorry to intrude.
I cannot find a way to originate a post and post one question.
JBSimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBSimms View Post
sorry to intrude.
I cannot find a way to originate a post and post one question.
Scroll down to the bottom on any main forum page. Look right below all the threads. Click or tap the button that says new thread.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:38 PM   #28
barryem
Wizard

I think it's a very different thing to say you prefer the features of KF8 to those of mobi than to say mobi should no longer exist. I use mobi simply because I've never had any reason not to. It gives me a better reading experience on my Kindle than epub does on my Kobo, not because mobi is better but because the Kindle is better.

I do read files on my Kindle which I download directly from Amazon, as well, and presumably those are KF8 files, although I don't pay much attention. Since I have a lot of devices I've sometimes had to switch from the downloaded native version of a book to the converted version doc format to be able to switch devices at will. I've never noticed any difference when I do that.

I'm bothered by some of the new things happening in ebooks such as the Kindle in Motion thing, which I suspect I'll find distracting. I have no plan to try it. I think sticking with what works for me is a good plan.

Barry
Old 07-21-2017, 11:15 PM   #29
JBSimms
JBSimms began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Thank you very much. I am new to this site, and new to Calibri. Trying to get simple answers to simple questions. You were very helpful
JBSimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Authors still upload & sell Mobi only so it's not likely going anywhere anytime soon. For many types of books Mobi still works just fine.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote