Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
sllewji
sllewji began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke2, 3 & 5 / OnePlus 5T / Amazon Fire HD 10
[Android] New CC user - Local Network Access

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked / answered before.

I have my Calibre Library stored on a NAS device on my local network.
I don't generally have Calibre running on a PC, so ideally I would like to be able to use CC to access the Library directly on the NAS.
It looks like the Cloud offering should be the one to use, but it has no SMB or other local network options.

Have I missed an option, or am I out of luck?

Regards,
Ian
sllewji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sllewji View Post
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked / answered before.

I have my Calibre Library stored on a NAS device on my local network.
I don't generally have Calibre running on a PC, so ideally I would like to be able to use CC to access the Library directly on the NAS.
It looks like the Cloud offering should be the one to use, but it has no SMB or other local network options.

Have I missed an option, or am I out of luck?

Regards,
Ian
You can do this if you have a rooted device. You would use one of the SMB mount tools (e.g., CifsManager) to mount the shared drive somewhere then use CC's "Local Cloud Library" to access it.

Another way to do it is to run calibre's content server on the NAS. There are various posts on the 'net about how to do this. Docker seems to be a popular option. AFAIK this requires a NAS with an Intel processor.

FWIW: using calibre to access a library on a network drive is asking for trouble. See this calibre FAQ.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
sllewji
sllewji began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke2, 3 & 5 / OnePlus 5T / Amazon Fire HD 10
Wow - thanks for the quick response.
Great suggestion, I hadn't even thought of mounting the share first - I'll give that a try.

My NAS is _old_ and _dumb_, no chance of getting a Calibre content server on there.
My Calibre run with it's library on a local drive, which then gets regularly sync'd to the NAS - so I think I'm good
sllewji is offline   Reply With Quote