Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
denydias
denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: KPW2
[SOLVED] PW2 stuck in Fastboot mode

Hi,

I'm so sorry if I'm posting something already answered. I did a lot of research on this matter here and can't find anything that applies to this case.

I did something wrong (diags mode, install fastboot bundle - my bad I didn't read the docs carefully) and now my PW2 is stuck in the screen which one can see at the attached screenshot. The docs says somewhere that touchscreen doesn't work in fastboot mode on Kindle PW/PW2, so I can't either leave the screen, nor reboot.

When I hit power button, nothing happens. If I hold it pressed, the bottom power led starts flashing orange on about 10 seconds then, at about 15 seconds, the backlit flashes twice but the screen itself is not refreshed. And that's it. Nothing happens anymore, no matter how long I keep the power button pressed.

lsusb on Linux reads only after 15sec power pressed:
Code:
Bus 001 Device 031: ID 1949:d0e0 Lab126, Inc.
I have no access to any of mass storage modes. Drivers from FastBoot GUI for windows doesn't work. SSH via usbnet is also unavailable. I have no know ways (to my knowledge) to access my PW2.

Did I brick my PW2 permanently or is there a way fix the mess I did?

I really appreciate any help in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140120_204438.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	118166  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-22-2014 at 06:01 PM.
denydias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
denydias
denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.denydias can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Replying to myself: no, it's not permanently bricked.

Almost all the fastboot utilities I've found (windows and Linux) don't support PW2 because the unavailable drivers. All but one.

I managed to make Linux to talk to PW2's fastboot mode by installing Fastboot GUI (32bits). Here are some quick and dirty steps:
  1. Install Ubuntu 32 bits in a virtual machine (VirtualBox, for instance);
  2. Run this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libmono-2.0-1
  3. Download and unzip Fastboot GUI - LINUX NATIVE.zip;
  4. On your fastboot mode PW2, hold power button for 15 seconds (bottom orange led will flash in about 10 seconds, screen will flash twice in 15 seconds);
  5. Plug the USB cable to your PW2;
  6. Go to VirtualBox machine configuration and filter the Amazon Kindle [0001] port to be available only to the Ubuntu's virtual machine.
  7. Run Fastboot GUI;
  8. Set variable bootmode to diags or main;
  9. Add set variable and reboot taks;
  10. Your PW2 is back.

Just to make sure, I did the flashboot bundle install twice and the above method made it come back everytime. So, it works for me.

Best,
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by denydias View Post
Did I brick my PW2 permanently or is there a way fix the mess I did?

I really appreciate any help in advance.
Follow the on-screen directions.
See the image that you attached above.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:43 AM   #4
denydias

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Follow the on-screen directions.
See the image that you attached above.
As I said on the first post, touchscreen doesn't work when PW2 is in fastboot mode. So, one can't 'click' diags exit.

'Please use serial mode' is not an option too, because PW2's serial port, AFAIK, is inside the device and requires tear it down, which could potentially damage it, as well as also requires soldering skills (which I do have). More on this here and here.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I said on the first post, touchscreen doesn't work when PW2 is in fastboot mode. So, one can't 'click' diags exit.

'Please use serial mode' is not an option too, because PW2's serial port, AFAIK, is inside the device and requires tear it down, which could potentially damage it, as well as also requires soldering skills (which I do have). More on this here and here.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.
If you rule out "Use serial port" - then your **ONLY** other option is to return it for exchange as "broke".

You don't have to tell them that you where the one that broke it.

And yes, we know about those links - we where the first to document that on the KPW2 right here.

Last edited by knc1; 01-21-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
ICYMI (it was in the moderation queue), the OP handled it (post #2) .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
ICYMI (it was in the moderation queue), the OP handled it (post #2) .
I only reply to the visible posts.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hence me mentioning it to avoid more confusion, since I'm the one who messed up the post approval .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-21-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
denydias

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Hence me mentioning it to avoid more confusion, since I'm the one who messed up the post approval .
You guys all, even the most nervous and impatient ones, does a terrific job with this forum and all the development effort put on our ereaders. I deeply thank you all! What NiLujE calls 'confusion' seems more like 'hey, we are all humans after all'.

Btw, how can I mark this post as [SOLVED] so other users could easily get information on 'debricking' their PW2? I could not find a way to change the post title.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@denydias: We don't have anything like that here, and to boot, you can't edit the title of your own thread, so the usual workaround is to 'report' your first post to flag a moderator .
Old 01-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
denydias

@NiLuJe: Oh, I see. Thank you for the workaround and to change the post title.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:21 AM   #12
whlweb
whlweb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Replying to myself: no, it's not permanently bricked.

Almost all the fastboot utilities I've found (windows and Linux) don't support PW2 because the unavailable drivers. All but one.

I managed to make Linux to talk to PW2's fastboot mode by installing Fastboot GUI (32bits). Here are some quick and dirty steps:
  1. Install Ubuntu 32 bits in a virtual machine (VirtualBox, for instance);
  2. Run this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libmono-2.0-1
  3. Download and unzip Fastboot GUI - LINUX NATIVE.zip;
  4. On your fastboot mode PW2, hold power button for 15 seconds (bottom orange led will flash in about 10 seconds, screen will flash twice in 15 seconds);
  5. Plug the USB cable to your PW2;
  6. Go to VirtualBox machine configuration and filter the Amazon Kindle [0001] port to be available only to the Ubuntu's virtual machine.
  7. Run Fastboot GUI;
  8. Set variable bootmode to diags or main;
  9. Add set variable and reboot taks;
  10. Your PW2 is back.

Just to make sure, I did the flashboot bundle install twice and the above method made it come back everytime. So, it works for me.

Best,
That's an exciting news, because I'm currently debricking my PW2.

Which version of Ubuntu did you use, I tried Ubuntu 14.10 desktop version in virtualbox, but the Fastboot GUI won't work for me, there is always an error:

Could not load file or assembly 'gtk-sharp Version=2.12.0.0 ...........
whlweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:10 AM   #13
whlweb
whlweb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by whlweb View Post
That's an exciting news, because I'm currently debricking my PW2.

Which version of Ubuntu did you use, I tried Ubuntu 14.10 desktop version in virtualbox, but the Fastboot GUI won't work for me, there is always an error:

Could not load file or assembly 'gtk-sharp Version=2.12.0.0 ...........
Above problem has been solved with this workaround,
--Just use the cmd tool instead of the GUI tool, they work the same way.

However, I flashed below img into my PW2, it doesn't seem to work properly
PW(Paperwhite) main images (root pw = fiona2bc): pw_5.2.0-main_kernel: http://www.mediafire.com/?51r6gm6new6tv19 pw_5.2.0-main_kernel: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/..._kernel.img.gz pw_5.2.0-mmcblk0p1+jb+ssh: http://www.mediafire.com/?5w619l68mrcawlb pw_5.2.0-mmcblk0p1+jb+ssh: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/...cblk0p1.img.gz PW(Paperwhite) diags images: pw_5.2.0-diags_kernel: http://www.mediafire.com/?alv98tlq28rtx5e pw_5.2.0-diags_kernel: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/..._kernel.img.gz pw_5.2.0-mmcblk0p2: http://www.mediafire.com/?afodh08q5had1z1 pw_5.2.0-mmcblk0p2: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/...cblk0p2.img.gz

Are those imgs only work for PW instead of PW2?
Where can I find the imgs for PW2?
whlweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:58 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - - -
Are those imgs only work for PW instead of PW2?
Where can I find the imgs for PW2?
Duplicate postings are frowned on in this forum.
Please don't do that.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #15
denydias

Quote:
TWhich version of Ubuntu did you use, I tried Ubuntu 14.10 desktop version in virtualbox, but the Fastboot GUI won't work for me, there is always an error
I'm sorry for the delay.

In that event I was using 12.04 LTS x86 (32bit).

I'm glad you have figured out a workaround.

Best,