Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
What just happened to my K3? It keeps hanging

I've had my old 3rd gen Kindle WiFi for about 15 months, and never had a problem (except for the brief interlude with the un-lit cover - Amazon kindly replaced it with a lit one!). However, last night it simply hung. I tried to change page, and it wouldn't respond to anything, except a reboot (sliding the power-slider for much longer than you'd expect). Once it boots up it has forgotten which book I was reading, and doesn't list it in the 'Most Recently First' list. By the time I had found the book, and where I was in the book, I managed to read another three pages before it happened again. And again. And again, again and again today.

Is it a sign that I should put in a pre-order for the Paperwhite?

And is it really a coincidence that it happens when they're pushing out a new firmware revision? (It still claims to be version 3.3 (611680021)).
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
I've had my old 3rd gen Kindle WiFi for about 15 months, and never had a problem (except for the brief interlude with the un-lit cover - Amazon kindly replaced it with a lit one!). However, last night it simply hung. I tried to change page, and it wouldn't respond to anything, except a reboot (sliding the power-slider for much longer than you'd expect). Once it boots up it has forgotten which book I was reading, and doesn't list it in the 'Most Recently First' list. By the time I had found the book, and where I was in the book, I managed to read another three pages before it happened again. And again. And again, again and again today.

Is it a sign that I should put in a pre-order for the Paperwhite?

And is it really a coincidence that it happens when they're pushing out a new firmware revision? (It still claims to be version 3.3 (611680021)).
You can try to do a factory reboot/hard reset. Save your content back to your computer and then do the factory reset. Then reload your books. That may solve your problem..

Unless your are really looking for an excuse to buy the newer toy!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Do you have a large quantity of books on your reader? If so, that could be your issue. The factory reset idea could fix it for you. My K3 still shows 3.3. My Wi-Fi has been on so I imagine I would have gotten an update if they were pushing one.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
You can try to do a factory reboot/hard reset. Save your content back to your computer and then do the factory reset. Then reload your books. That may solve your problem..
Do you mean the 'Menu / Settings / Menu / Factory defaults'?

I have tried to do that (twice) but it hangs before I get that far...
Old 09-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Popup
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Do you have a large quantity of books on your reader? If so, that could be your issue.
No, not really. Maybe 100? (At least substantially less than the several thousands that some people here seem to have.)
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you mean the 'Menu / Settings / Menu / Factory defaults'?

I have tried to do that (twice) but it hangs before I get that far...
Then try holding the power button for however long to do the soft reset. Then when it is finished go immediately to Menu / Settings / Menu / Factory defaults the factory defaults and try again.

Edit: First if you need to, copy your books and save on your computer, if you do not have them on it as a backup.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Popup
Zealot

Quote:
Then try holding the power button for however long to do the soft reset. Then when it is finished go immediately to Menu / Settings / Menu / Factory defaults the factory defaults and try again.
Yup, that's what I'm trying to do. Thing is, it asks for a WiFi connection, and I haven't got WiFi here. Instead I have to use my phone for tethering, and for that to work I need to enter its password. And then it hangs...

I'll try again at home tonight, where the Kindle already knows the WiFi password.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Popup
Zealot

I opened up the device and disconnected the battery, to force it to reset, and after that it seemed to behave better. I managed to perform a 'factory reset', but when it came to re-registering with Amazon, it got stuck again.

(I know that one shouldn't really open up these things, but I'm an electrical engineer and I've got an antistatic work surface, so it should be OK. At any rate, there's no longer any warranty to void...)

Related question:

What does the green LED really mean?

It lights up when the device is fully charged, but also (sometimes) when performing a reset. Sometimes it flashes (three?) times, and sometimes it stays lit for much longer.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
I opened up the device and disconnected the battery, to force it to reset, and after that it seemed to behave better. I managed to perform a 'factory reset', but when it came to re-registering with Amazon, it got stuck again.

(I know that one shouldn't really open up these things, but I'm an electrical engineer and I've got an antistatic work surface, so it should be OK. At any rate, there's no longer any warranty to void...)

Related question:

What does the green LED really mean?

It lights up when the device is fully charged, but also (sometimes) when performing a reset. Sometimes it flashes (three?) times, and sometimes it stays lit for much longer.
Lot's of people replace the battery, it is sort of a no brainer.

Sorry to see you are still having problems, others here may be able to help you.

And in reference to your original post this just may be THE "Sign" from the electronic book gods, that yes they approve of you buying the PWK!

Edit: One thing that you may try, reflash your firmware 3.3 again.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700

Last edited by DustyDisks; 09-10-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Popup
Zealot

Hmmm. Looks like a lost cause.

When it hangs it's seen over the USB as a 'SE Blank RINGO' device, which apparently is some kind of recovery mode for the Freescale CPU.

The fact that it jumps into it spontaneously is probably a Bad Sign™.

PaperWhite ordered.
(And this one becomes a Paperweight.)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Thinkpad Tablet
I have that same problem...
I do not want to give up, if you have any ideas feel free to share
digiridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
Popup
Zealot

Curiously enough, it seemed to behave itself better last night. I did the factory reset - to no avail. Then I took it apart and ripped the battery out, cleaned the connectors and put it back together again, after which it hung again. Then I resigned myself to the arduous fate of having to read on my Nexus7 for a while, but when I picked up the Kindle an hour later it was working for half an hour - until it was bedtime.

Needless to say, this was after I had ordered the PaperWhite.

I still don't understand what the green LED does, though. It seems to indicate that it's resetting itself, as once it has been on for a while the device will almost always reboot.

What are your symptoms?

Last edited by Popup; 09-11-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:

The "Gods" of all things electron and electronic have spoken! Or your 'Ids' unconscious self, really wanted that new toy, and used your hidden "Psychic" energy to influence your kindle and "public" self!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
Popup
Zealot

Quote:
The "Gods" of all things electron and electronic have spoken!
Oh. I knew that I should have sacrificed to the Gods first.

Next time I'll try to sacrifice a USB drive instead of my visa card - maybe by burning it in the toaster? Although, that sounds unnecessarily messy. Does it work to just leave it in a pocket and run it through the washing machine?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Thinkpad Tablet
Quote:
Curiously enough, it seemed to behave itself better last night. I did the factory reset - to no avail. Then I took it apart and ripped the battery out, cleaned the connectors and put it back together again, after which it hung again. Then I resigned myself to the arduous fate of having to read on my Nexus7 for a while, but when I picked up the Kindle an hour later it was working for half an hour - until it was bedtime.

I still don't understand what the green LED does, though. It seems to indicate that it's resetting itself, as once it has been on for a while the device will almost always reboot.

What are your symptoms?
I ordered PW day before yesterday, but since then I have not checked my K3. Who knows, maybe its working now
digiridan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hangs, kindle keyboard