Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
jamesewood
jamesewood began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Calibre MOBI format not seen in PC Kindle Library

I've been using Calibre for a long time, mostly to download and convert news feeds into MOBI format for reading on the Kindle for PC software.

All was good until at some point after version 0.8.20, the MOBI files created by Calibre no longer show up in the Kindle library (I'm using the latest PC Kindle version 1.8.2.36179).

Something changed in the MOBI output, but I haven't been able to figure out what. Accordingly, I'm stuck at 0.8.20.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
jamesewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
How are you transfering the files to K4PC?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
jamesewood

Copying to Kindle for PC

I save the MOBI files into a single directory, open Kindle, and then set the new Kindle content folder to be the newly created directory.

Kindle previously (Calibre version 0.8.20 and before) would then automatically detect the MOBI files and display them in the Kindle library.

No longer works this way with newer versions of Calibre.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Actually this sounds like a change in behavior of the Kindle app - not Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesewood View Post
I save the MOBI files into a single directory, open Kindle, and then set the new Kindle content folder to be the newly created directory.
This worked for me using the latest Calibre (0.8.35) and K4PC (1.8.3 (36179)).

When you do this, are the MOBI files all the the specified folder (not in sub-folders) and do the existing ebooks from the original K4PC folder get copied to the new K4PC folder you specify? That is what worked for me. I only had 6 books on the device originally and I copied another 6.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
jamesewood

itimpi -

Don't see how it could be a Kindle app issue. I'm using the same Kindle version with both Calibre 0.8.20 MOBI files and with Calibre later-version MOBI files.

With 0.8.20 (and all previous versions) files, Kindle automatically includes the MOBI files in its library. With later-version Calibre MOBI files, Kindle ignores them.

Must be that something in the Calibre MOBI file structure that's changed.