Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
Debchastain
Debchastain began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Need a new ereader

I need help trying to figure the right ereader for me any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Here's what I want:
Paperwhite no glare screen
Backlit for nighttime reading
Capable to download ereader apps such as nook kindle and overdrive

Thank you!
Debchastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
E-readers like the Paperwhite use e-ink screens. They are front-lit, making them ideal for use in the sun and in the dark. They don't run apps.

Tablets that can run apps are backlit, meaning they are not good for use in the sun.

I suggest buying one of the e-ink devices, and learning how to convert your digital books to the format that device uses. Then you're not tied to any one store.

Kindles are the easiest to use for most users I think. I use a Kobo because of its superior font, margin, and line spacing control. But it requires a tad more knowledge and techno ability.

I know from being on this forum that there are more expensive devices that run android and use e-ink screens. I'll let users more knowledgeable about those devices talk about them.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
E-readers like the Paperwhite use e-ink screens. They are front-lit, making them ideal for use in the sun and in the dark. They don't run apps.
Android based ones like those from Onyx Boox do, however some apps run better than others (sometimes they don't look good in grayscale). They're almost like an eInk tablet except they're somewhat under-powered and under-RAM'd to be just like a tablet.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-25-2017 at 08:23 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debchastain View Post
I need help trying to figure the right ereader for me any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Here's what I want:
Paperwhite no glare screen
Backlit for nighttime reading
Capable to download ereader apps such as nook kindle and overdrive
You've obviously thought through what you want but you might want to do some more research on how the current technologies work. In particular study the difference between front lit and back lit screens. That'll have a huge effect on your reading.

As for being able to download ereader apps that pretty much limits you to the off-brand ereaders. Mainstream e-ink readers such as the Kobo, Kindle and Nook can't do that. These same people have tablets with backlit screens that can but they're not nearly as good for reading.

The name brand ereaders can't download apps. They each get books from the store that provides the reader. The Kindle gets books from Amazon. Kobo devices get books from Kobo and Nook gets books from Barnes and Noble. Each is unable to purchase or directly download books from other sources, or at least can't do so easily.

The saving grace in this is that you can easily convert books from one store to make them usable on any device using the freeware program Calibre with a plugin that's also free. I read mostly on a Kindle or Kobo. I buy all my books from Amazon and I can drag and drop a book into Calibre, convert it and have it on my Kobo ready to read, all in less than a minute. I can also do this in bulk so I don't have to do them individually.

Of course this requires a PC but it's pretty simple stuff and doesn't need a lot of tech knowhow.

The problem with asking what to buy in a forum like this one is you'll get everyone's favorite prejudices and that can make choosing more difficult. If, instead. you do your own research and use this forum as a place to ask specific questions you'll find it pretty useful. There's quite a lot of expertise here.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem with Onyx Book Android Readers is that they use an older version of Android and thus, you may find the latest version of the app you want to use won't work. Check that the current versions of the apps you want will work with an Onyx Boox Reader.

A Kobo & Kindle won't do as they don't allow the apps you want. Only an Android based Reader might do what you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:22 AM   #6
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
My Energy Sistem Pro HD (a Spanish version of the Boyue 62+, I believe) runs Android 4.2 but I have yet to come across an App I wanted to run but could not. That said, if the OP is getting his/her first ereader, I would not recommend an Android e-ink reader as a starting point - without some messing (and even rooting) they are just about all rather compromised units, with downloaded Apps working poorly (not e-ink optimised, so looking washed out), or not working in full screen.

Kindle and Kobo make great, "works out of the box" e-readers.

If the OP is happy to mess around a bit, then an Android e-ink reader can be made to work really well (I use my Pro HD in preference to my Tolino and my Kobo H2O).

In Europe, readily available Android e-ink readers can found from Energy Sistem, Icarus, and InkBook. (Readers from Boyue and Onyx generally have to be sourced from China/Hong Kong and import duties may be payable).

In North America, I get the impression the availability situation may be rather different.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Question, where does the OP live? If the OP lives outside the US and wants a Reader but does not want an Android based Reader, then a Kobo is the best choice (IMHO). If the OP lives in the US, then the two real choices (B&N is not a choice) is Kobo & Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
Debchastain
Debchastain began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you for your help
Debchastain is offline   Reply With Quote