Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
Aesthete
Aesthete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
What should I replace my Kindle DX with?

I have a first gen Kindle DX that I've been using since they first came out.

I love the large screen and the physical buttons, but I'm getting increasingly annoyed with the laggy performance, especially when highlighting.

So, I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with. All of the current Kindles are smaller and are touch screen based, which I don't really like because I hate having finger prints on my screens. Also, it sounds like they're still kind of laggy when highlighting.

The new Sony DPT-RPT1 looks really cool, and it's even bigger than my DX! But, from what I've been reading, you can't just connect it to your computer and download books over USB. That sounds really annoying. Plus, I think I'd have to convert all of my Kindle books to PDF or something. It does seem like the highlighting on the Sony is very quick, though.

Then there's the Onyx Boox Max Carta, which seems to be similar to the Sony in a lot of ways. But, I dunno, Onyx seems like kind of a small company and it's not really clear to me that their products are high quality?

Any suggestions? Are there other readers I should be looking at?
Aesthete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The screens on the Kindle e-readers aren't really troubled by fingerprints. Unless you do a lot of highlighting etc. most of the touches are in the same place on the right edge of the screen for page turns. On my Kobo, I just sort of roll my thumb from the bezel to the screen to touch/tap the screen. It's not like a whole thumbprint is needed. The Paperwhite is basically the same. I think the Paperwhite is a great value for someone looking for a reader who is already invested in Amazon content, and who doesn't want to have to convert their existing library to another format.

Remember with the Kindles, you can return it within the first 30 days if it doesn't meet your needs. (If purchased from Amazon)

I use a Kobo Glo hd right now, and would love to have the Kobo Aura One. It has a larger front-lit screen, 7.8". Their Aura H20 has a 6.8" screen.

My husband uses a second gen Paperwhite. They are very similar as far as the screens go. Both are good readers.

I had a DX for a minute. It was too big and clumsy, and lighting the screen was a pain, and once I got my first front-lit Paperwhite, I sold the DX.

Adding...the DX uses very old firmware, 7 years old at this point. The newer ones are not as sluggish.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 06-27-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:29 AM   #3
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
The main question is what screen size you need - the larger your preference, the fewer options you have. If you want to stick with 10 inches, I think the Onyx N96-series is a good choice. The upcoming Onyx Boox Note should be even better.
Even if you are o.k. with a smaller screen, I would still go with an Android device: if you don't like the annotation functions in the stock app, just install another from the Google Play Store.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I would suggest that you look at the Onyx Boox and PocketBook subforums and look for a 9.7" replacement. Both companies offer a variety of devices.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote