Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
piroi002
piroi002 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nook Simple Touch Adapter and Battery

Hi All.

I am new member here. Just registered.

Let me introduce myself.

I am Ivan from Malta. Today I received my Nook Simple Touch which I bought from Ebay.

I am really happy with it. Reading is more comfortable to the eyes than when using an Android Tablet.

As you may already know, Europe and the US use two different standards of electrical current for appliances. Malta uses 240V whereas the US operates on 110V.

The nook adapter which came with the Nook Simple Touch has these specifications :-

INPUT :- 100-240 VAC 0.5V 50/60 Hz
OUTPUT :- 5V ---- 0.85A

With these specifications it seems that with an adapter I can use it in Malta without damaging the Nook because it can be used both in US and Europe since the input is between 100 and 240V.

If I use it here will I damage the Nook Simple Touch or the battery? Does anyone know the Specifications of the Battery?

Regards

Ivan
piroi002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can use the included charger in EU on a 220 or 240 V socket. In fact, you can use pretty much any charger you may have that outputs up to 1A on a micro-USB connector (most phone chargers qualify).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
piroi002
piroi002 began at the beginning.

afv011, Thanks for your reply.

Ivan
piroi002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

In fact, you can use pretty much any charger you may have that outputs up to 1A on a micro-USB connector (most phone chargers qualify).
Wow, really? I don't have to buy the wall charger from BN? I'm curious but afraid of bricking my precious NST...
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Wow, really? I don't have to buy the wall charger from BN? I'm curious but afraid of bricking my precious NST...
As long as the output does not exceed 1A, you'll be fine. I routinely swap chargers between my phone and nook without any issues.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As long as the output does not exceed 1A, you'll be fine. I routinely swap chargers between my phone and nook without any issues.
How do you determine this? Is it stated on the charger? My phone uses a different charger but I'll go thru my box of junky electronics before I buy the charger from BN.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
How do you determine this? Is it stated on the charger? My phone uses a different charger but I'll go thru my box of junky electronics before I buy the charger from BN.
Yes, the charger will say it, something like "5V 1A". They usually say something along the lines of "Input 110V-240V 0.15A 50/60Hz Output 5V 1A".
Old 04-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
It's not a problem if the charger output is higher than 1A. The device will only draw what it needs.
The charger output is just the maximum amount the charger can give.
It's more of a problem if that number is too low, because then the charger may over -heat when the device tries to draw what it needs. If the charger overheats enough it might break.
I would not suggest using a charger with an output marking less than 500 mA, even though I admit I have used one that is marked 300 mA myself many times without any problem.

Last edited by Asawi; 04-21-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
It doesn't matter if the charger is rated too low. The device can't draw more than the charger is designed to output and unless the charger design is faulty, it is designed to handle the heat load generated at the maximum output.

Now on some devices if that rated output is too low, the device will refuse to charge at all. Mostly it just means that the device will charge slower than it would with a higher output charger that the device could take advantage of, that or the device drain might be more than what the charger can provide.

For example, the iPad 1 and 2 both will charge on .5amp USB chargers/computer USB ports if in standby/off. If on, the screen and background operation of the CPU, memory subsystem, etc draw more power than .5amp charger can provide generally, so you'll slowly drain the battery is using the device while plugged in to a .5amp charger, but it will still provide the 2.5w/.5amp while plugged in.

Some really high power consumption devices, like the new iPad won't even charge while on with a 1amp charger, it'll just slow discharge and even on a full 2.1amp charger, if using it full tilt, it will drain the battery slightly (at idle/stand-by/off it'll charge it).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
yoho
Banned
yoho began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by piroi002 View Post
Hi All.

I am new member here. Just registered.

Let me introduce myself.

I am Ivan from Malta. Today I received my Nook Simple Touch which I bought from Ebay.

I am really happy with it. Reading is more comfortable to the eyes than when using an Android Tablet.

As you may already know, Europe and the US use two different standards of electrical current for appliances. Malta uses 240V whereas the US operates on 110V.

The nook adapter which came with the Nook Simple Touch has these specifications :-

INPUT :- 100-240 VAC 0.5V 50/60 Hz
OUTPUT :- 5V ---- 0.85A

With these specifications it seems that with an adapter I can use it in Malta without damaging the Nook because it can be used both in US and Europe since the input is between 100 and 240V.

If I use it here will I damage the Nook Simple Touch or the battery? Does anyone know the Specifications of the Battery?

Regards

Ivan
maybe you need to buy a adapter converter
yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoho View Post
maybe you need to buy a adapter converter
or not...as the previous posts provided. The included charger will suffice.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
tdonline
Addict

I misplaced the Nook cable recently but was pleasantly surprised to learn that my Samsung Galaxy 3 adapter works with the NST. Since the SG3 is a very popular phone, this will likely be very convenient for many Nook owners.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
You can use pretty much any current smartphone charger with a mikro USB (as most of the androids have now). Really convenient, especially when travelling!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adapter nook simple touch, battery nook simple touch