Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Does anyone like their T1?

From the first three threads I have read so far tonight it would appear that not all is well with the T1 - Shopaholic and Pomtroll both talking of returning their machines.

So are all of you T1 owners experiencing problems or is it just an isolated few?
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Once I fixed my microSD problem, I've not had any other problems. I've only gotten it yesterday and did some late night reading. I like it so far. It's very slim and lightweight, the touchscreen is a little sensitive, the ribbon on my nightgown briefly touched the screen and changed the page. I would need to test it more. However, l think Sony rushed this product out a little too quickly which is why folks are having problems with it.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I do! I am rather frustrated however. I think if you are a new Sony user then you will really like it. I think the frustration is for those of us with large libraries that are used to the old Sony software and the old reader firmware. This model is a major change. It is hard to get used to change, especially if you really liked the old way. The new Sony software is a bit unstable, eliminates many features of the old software and so it is very easy to get upset at it. I hate the glossy housing of the T1, but I like the form factor and light-weight. The new ability to change fonts and the better range of font sizes makes reading on it a better experience. It also seems faster especially typing on the screen keyboard. The browser is better than the 950. The ability to download direct from the library and from Kobo and public domain like feedbooks and from your dropbox account is awesome. I like the new feature to display the cover of the book you are reading. It's just that syncing with other devices doesn't currently work and the new software is burdensome thus creating much frustration!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Has anyone tried a download from their Calibre holdings yet?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Yes. works like a champ using the "Save to disk" button on the Calibre header. It behaves like and Android device (since it is).
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Got mine last night and both hardware and software has exceed my expectations.

Device feels great, very light weight, but still feels solid, including the buttons, and the "rubberized?" back. Screen looks great, and I have no problem with glossy black bezel that so many have talked about as if it was some major problem, it is very thin and the screen itself is not glossy which is the important part.

The actual on device software is great, really clean UI. The book reading application works great, nice selection of fonts/sizes, and very easy to navigate. The built in mutiple dictionaries/interface blew me away, but not sure if this already a feature of the older Sony readers though. Only complaint is that I wish they had a tap to turn page option to make it easier to use one handed, so for that I need to hold it my left hand and use the physical page turn buttons. Browser works better than I expected, it does partial screen refresh when scrolling, and a full refresh when you stop so not as jarring as some other e-Ink browsers I've seen.

So far I did not setup the Reader software on my computer, that seems like is causing some complaints. What I've been doing so far is copying an epub right to the device's on board memory over USB, and when you disconnect the USB cable, the T1 automatically scans the metadata and adds them to your library.

Browsing the calibre forums and noticed there already is very basic calibre feature support for T1 in the current beta version that I'm itching to try out this evening.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm pleased to hear it is not as bad as it first appeared.

I suppose there was always going to be a few issues to be ironed out but after the build up of the T1 prior to its launch the talk of people returning their devices seemed a little disappointing. No doubt you will all get to love it in the end.

Personally I'm going to stick with my 650, it does all I want it too at the moment.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also looks like pomtroll got their issue sorted also if you didn't see the thread
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Also looks like pomtroll got their issue sorted also if you didn't see the thread
Thanks. I did see that, but only after I had started this thread.

As I said I'm pleased that people seem to be able to sort out these few problems. It would be really bad news if Sony had come out with a real lemon after all the pre-launch anticipation.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
For those with the 650, is the T1 an improvement? Is it worth selling my 650 to get one? My main reasons would be for wifi and zooming... Extra fonts would be nice too..
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I personally love the T-1. I've owned the 505, 900, and 950. This is their fastest reader and has the most contrast to date. Also, the pinch to zoom is great for reading charts and blowing up pictures. I'm very happy with the purchase and like the fact that a Sony reader is priced correctly now. With its feature set, it really is a good deal.

One comment, the more I use the Sony cover, the more I like it. It's very light and minimalist. Some covers are heavy and get in the way, this one doesn't. The reader snaps into the cover and it provides, in my opinion, the best protection to date compared to past Sony covers.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Ashjuk - good call on sticking with the 650.

I like the things Log commented on - the different fonts, the better font size options, it's lighter, the 6" screen is nicer compared to the 5". I like little things so I went with the 350 over the 650 plus it was pink. I really do like the convenience of having the Wifi for library lending. I don't need it because I'm ok with getting it from my PC but it is nice that it's there and I will use it. But I'm having a bugger of a time with the software on both the computer & the device.

Log - how are you putting the books on the reader through USB and how many are we talking about? Specifically what file folder are you putting them into? Are you making collections on the Reader itself? Are you finding it crashing at all? I am! I put all my books on it, 380, and then manually tried to make collections on the Reader and delete books I've already read. It keeps crashing as I'm trying to do so. I initially tried selecting all I need to move or delete but it crashed & I had to start again. So I went with just doing a few at a time but it still crashed. Doing only 1 - 5 at a time will be a pain.

I found that when you sync a collection through the software you can't do ANYTHING with it on the Reader itself. You can't delete books within the collection, only from the main Book list itself and you can't even add books to the collection.

I do want to like it. Honest. I love new gadgets but I'm incredibly frustrated with it right now.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
I just hope Kartu/PRS+ will soon add folder browsing and last read lists
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #14
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I'm still working on figuring it out. Finally got it so I can download books from the new Sony Software to my reader. I think the biggest problem is the Sony Software. But it could be like Bookworm _Girl says, it is new to me.

I think the User Guide could be better. Plus before releasing it get more online info for the T1.

What I like is the speed, the dictionary & access to wikipedia etc. I had no difficulty buying from the Sony Store. Google blah. It wasn't what I was expecting. It is the free stuff.

Last night the Sony Reader Store on the device had difficulties & kept telling me to try again. It also told me my time zone was off. I checked & it wasn't????? Then my device went crazy & crashed. Had to do a soft reset.

Not having a wifi Sony before I have a huge learning curve. I will say, the amazon store is easier to buy from & my library there is easier to work with. Sony is going to have to do a bit of work to make their new library easy to use as far as I'm concerned.

Overall I like the T1 but I like my Sony 350 better.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #15
Extragooey
Extragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-booksExtragooey has learned how to read e-books

I bought a T1 from Best Buys last night. I'm coming from a PRS-650 and having owned the T1 for less than 24 hrs, here are my impressions compared to the 650.

1. Better screen. Comparing it side by side, the screen on the 650 looks a little bit "blue".
2. Better original font and additional fonts. Using the original font on both, with the same ebook on the same page, the contrast on the T1 is just better. Perhaps it's the combination of the font and the better screen I mentioned in 1. Additional fonts are great as well. I can now not envy Kindle users and their high contrast font.
3. Lighter. We're only talking about ounces, but it makes a difference.
4. Wifi. I never thought I'd ever need wifi for an ebook reader, but now that I have it, I realize how convenient it is. I was transferring books via wifi from my Calibre library through the Calibre content server . I don't think I'll ever need to install the Sony software. Unless there's a reason to that I don't know about.
5. Glossy bezel is a negative. While it is not a major negative, the glare is definitely noticeable and a bit annoying in direct lighting. Also, your oily fingerprints are highly noticeable on the bezel. It's just silly making it glossy.

Overall, I think it was a worthy upgrade from the 650, even with the glossy bezel. The battery life is something I'm interested in and will keep an eye on. My 650 drains battery too fast under standby mode so I hope they've improved standby efficiency. We'll see if this is the case.
Extragooey is offline   Reply With Quote