Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 AM   #61
HectorHugo
HectorHugo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I've been using BRISS with PDFCreator to reformat/crop whitespace from technical PDFs and there is a little whitespace at the margins (probably due to the aspect ratio) but not that much. As such, I have found that by slightly cropping less of the page can make a huge difference with the amount of whitespace re-introduced by the Sony Reader software. So, if the display issue in BRISS could be resolved (i.e. scaling of the pdf pages at different screen resolutions) then this would probably be the fastest/best method for transferring technical PDFs to the Sony Ereaders. Well, until SONY sorts out it custom zoom feature (hint hint!!)....
HectorHugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #62
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorHugo View Post
So, if the display issue in BRISS could be resolved (i.e. scaling of the pdf pages at different screen resolutions) then this would probably be the fastest/best method for transferring technical PDFs to the Sony Ereaders...
I think i miss something here. I want to clarify the two problems I see:
a) Screen resolution of your computers screen is relevant only when dealing with big pages (so that you might have to scroll, and therefore it might be better to place them side by side)
b) Remaining margins through differing aspect ratio between ebook-reader-display and manually draw crop rectangle will not be manageable by software. The best thing I could do is to set a fixed aspect ratio for the crop rectangles...

I sold my PRS 600 a while ago (to much glare) so I'm just not familiar with its pdf rendering capabilities and it would be good to explain the problem in more detail to me.

thx,
Gerhard
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #63
HectorHugo

Okay.

So when I load the pdf into BRISS I can not see the whole page regardless of how I try to resize the BRISS window - similar to another comment made about how the two margin related buttons become hidden upon maximising the Java window.
The other issue is that, as I have cropped the main bulk of the text on a page, but extending the cropping area slightly above/below the SONY reader software "adds on" differing amounts of whitespace.

I mainly use my eReader on the train and as it was a gift too I'm a bit reluctant to sell it on just yet!!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #64
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Wicked name! Stick with it, please.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #65
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Hi!

Release 0.0.9 is out! with two minor changes:
* The last directory is remembered
* The maximum preview height is set to 600px, which should reduce some reported problems.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

Please try it out,
thx,
Gerhard
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #66
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi Gerhard,

Thank you for for finding time for a new release.
The remembering of last-used directory is very welcome

However, the appearance of the screen when a PDF is loaded doesn't appear much different from v0.0.8.

The cropping areas are now slightly smaller but still can't be seen simultaneously on my 1920x1200 screen. Maximise buttons are still "off screen" until window is manually resized. I attach 2 screencaps showing v0.0.9 versus v0.0.8.

Is this the result you expected?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	briss009.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	54813   Click image for larger version

Name:	briss008.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	54814  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:46 AM   #67
laborg
Zealot

Hi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Hi Gerhard,

However, the appearance of the screen when a PDF is loaded doesn't appear much different from v0.0.8.
Is this the result you expected?
This release should only fix the problem where people were unable to create a crop rectangle because the preview was even bigger than the screen. You're suffering a different problem, but I think this can be solved easily.

Greetings,
Gerhard
Old 07-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #68
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Oops! OK, sorry for getting ahead of myself
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #69
HectorHugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborg View Post
* The maximum preview height is set to 600px, which should reduce some reported problems.
Yes, this is much better now - thanks for the update!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #70
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
don't know what you've done, but this up-date works for me where the other didn't .... okay - onwards, upwards and thanks ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #71
Hanselda
Enthusiast
Hanselda began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook, Sony PRS 600
Thanks laborg. It is really a nice app. I have however one suggestion. It would be nice to have a option to skip the first page. Since usually the first page is the cover and I don't want to crop that. I have created a feature request on your sf project.
Hanselda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #72
laborg
Zealot

thx for your suggestion. I think I can introduce this feature easily until I've found a cleaner solution to exclude (various) pages.

greetings,
Gerhard
Old 08-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #73
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Thanks, this is a awesome program. I have a 300mb scanned PDF file that has 6000 plus pages, I used briss to cut the file into half screens - it did take quite some time to the point I almost thougt it was going to crash or lock the system, but it converted successfully and I loaded the resulting 12000 plus page PDF to my nook and it works like a charm. Can't be happier. The only issue is for some scanned PDFs, the letters dont look as dark - but again I guess this is the issue with the original scan that I cannot change. It would be nice to be able to exclude pages, not necessarily the first page which is the cover, it could be the dedicating page, author portraits, or even some contens index page, can't wait to see the updates. Again, thanks for a great job! very impressed.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:12 AM   #74
blacx
blacx began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook GEN3
Thumbs up

Thank you!
This application is amazing, finally something intuitive and working for any pdf.
Thanks again for the hard work so we can all enjoy reading pdfs on our favourite e book readers
blacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #75
sark666
Connoisseur
sark666 began at the beginning.

Device: colognesbook
I have computer books that I want to split the page into 3 and read in landscape, but I'd like an even split. A feature would be great to highlight the whole page and say chop into x amount. I keep trying to make the right split but end up with dead space on the bottom.

Also, an option to discard blank pages. Tech books have blank pages and I end up with 3 blank pages sometimes. To get my pdf's readable I'm discarding the the books page numbering entirely so these pages are completely blank.

Or maybe there is another utility that can discard blanks, but I hope there is a way or a new feature to ensure an even split covering the selected area.

Great app! I didn't think there would be a way to make tech pdf's readable on a 6 inch reader. Thank you!!

Also a zoom in function would be great. I'm making chops right on a line of text sometimes and it cascades through all the pages (chopping the bottom line) so I have to go back and retry, basically trial and error to get a good chop.
sark666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cropping pdf, pdf