Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
ALshaw
ALshaw began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre Web
[GUI Plugin] Virtual Library Switcher

Virtual Library Switcher allows you to quickly switch between virtual libraries from the main toolbar.

Makes switching between virtual libraries much faster. I made this because I couldn't find any other plugin that allows quick switching between virtual libraries from the toolbar. I was a little surprised by this. The Calibre manual specifically recommends using virtual libraries to organize large numbers of books, so switching between them should be as simple and quick as possible.

I used the library icon from Calibre itself as the plugin icon.

I'm fairly new to python (I've always been a C/C++ kinda guy), so if anyone spots any bugs please post them. I'm also new to Calibre and MobileRead, so I don't know who the admins are, so I don't know who I'm supposed to PM for a new plugin to add it to the list.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	396
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	162362  
Attached Files
File Type: zip virtual_library_switcher.zip (12.5 KB, 220 views)
ALshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The calibre admins are listed at the bottom of the calibre forum, but the following are no longer active -- Starson17, Piper_, GRiker, Manichean, kiwidude, ldolse, user_none.

I think you need to find a distinctive icon. The Preferences->Look and Feel->Show text under icons setting has a 'Never' option, when that was used your plugin icon would indistinguishable from the 'Choose library' icon.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2018, 04:18 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALshaw View Post
Virtual Library Switcher allows you to quickly switch between virtual libraries from the main toolbar.
Being able to quickly switch between virtual libraries already exists. I'm curious, how is this plugin better than using the tabs or the dropdown list, see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VL_Show_Tabs.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	162377   Click image for larger version

Name:	VL_Tabs.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	162378  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-18-2018 at 04:23 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
This plugins offers me a way to switch libraries that none of the methods you mention, DoctorOh, provides: switch library from the book context menu, so I can do it with keyboard (I cannot expand the dropdown list and to have a tab for each virtual library is something I dislike).

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 02-18-2018 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Typo
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:27 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
This plugins offers me a way to switch libraries then none of the methods you mention, DoctorOh, provides: switch library from the book context menu, so I can do it with keyboard (I cannot expand the dropdown list and to have a tab for each virtual library is something I dislike).
Thanks for the insight.

Once he satisfies BetterRed's concern and provides the appropriate information blurb for the Plugin Index thread. I'm sure BetterRed will be glad to add it to the list.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-18-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Advert
Old 02-25-2018, 06:02 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I'm not so sure the OP is going to be back, here I post a version which includes:
  • A different icon of "Choose Library"
  • Translation enabled
  • Spanish translation
  • Real "switch virtual library" instead of applying only the associated search.

I don't know if anybody is interested but, as I've modified the original one for my own use, I though I could add it here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip virtual_library_switcher.zip (13.4 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 02-25-2018 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Updating the version number
Old 02-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Being able to quickly switch between virtual libraries already exists. I'm curious, how is this plugin better than using the tabs or the dropdown list, see attached.
In addition to TdeM's point re switching VLs from within the book list context menu; if, in the interest of gaining maximum vertical space, you hide the search bar via the Layout button, and you turn off VL tabs, then there's no way to switch between VL's - or do anything else with VL's.

Maybe the VL drop down menu should be accessible via means other than a button in the hide-able search bar. Such as a regular Toolbar button.

BR
Old 02-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Maybe the VL drop down menu should be accessible via means other than a button in the hide-able search bar. Such as a regular Toolbar button.
I agree the option to access the VLs from any menu should be a built in option. I installed the version (1.0.1) Terisa de morgan put up and it allows exactly that, access from whatever menu you wish to place it on.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...4a45655a282425
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:09 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you very much, due to some back problems (usual if you spend a lot of time with computers) I try to use the keyboard as much as possible, so this is very good for me.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:53 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Thank you very much, due to some back problems (usual if you spend a lot of time with computers) I try to use the keyboard as much as possible, so this is very good for me.
@Terisa de Morgan, in your opinion, does Kovid's change obviate the need for this plugin?

BR
Old 02-27-2018, 02:54 AM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@Terisa de Morgan, in your opinion, does Kovid's change obviate the need for this plugin?

BR
I think so but I'll confirm it when I install the new calibre release (I usually install it the same day that it's published).
Old 02-27-2018, 03:21 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Xiaomi is an odd name for a phone manufacturer, see this.

BR
Old 02-27-2018, 03:56 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Xiaomi is an odd name for a phone manufacturer, see this.

BR
I didn't know. But yes, it's not a very proper name.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Question, is this change already in Calibre 3.18 or will it be part of a later release? I didn't notice it in the changelog but figured I'd just confirm. Thanks!

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-27-2018 at 10:57 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug-in, virtual libraries