Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
Good point. Another huge problem is that if a person turns their device off, they won't be able to read the epub like at all! How will the world survive?!
I know you were being sarcastic, but it was still a valid point. With no wifi, limited wifi--and certainly the question of the perpetual availability of any and all remote resources for countless numbers of ebooks: what retailer is going to set themselves up to sell books that can literally "break" while on a customer's device any time after purchase?

I get the idea. It's not a bad one. I just don't think it's a very practical one from an ebook retailer's point of view.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #17
Ryn
Connoisseur
Ryn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I know you were being sarcastic, but it was still a valid point. With no wifi, limited wifi--and certainly the question of the perpetual availability of any and all remote resources for countless numbers of ebooks: what retailer is going to set themselves up to sell books that can literally "break" while on a customer's device any time after purchase?

I get the idea. It's not a bad one. I just don't think it's a very practical one from an ebook retailer's point of view.
That's is a matter of perspective. I'm not privvy to ebook retailers' considerations on the subject but it seems a stretch to propose that the book "literally breaks" when a few videos temporarily don't play.
Ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Look at Kindle in Motion eBooks. You'll see that all the content is included in the eBook file.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's is a matter of perspective. I'm not privvy to ebook retailers' considerations on the subject but it seems a stretch to propose that the book "literally breaks" when a few videos temporarily don't play.
I'm not talking only temporary. Links break, servers change hands, overwhelmed resources--stuff happens. Is someone going to take responsibility for making sure the remote video is hosted forever at that host/url? I'd certainly call an ebook that contains a large remote video resource that no longer exists (or can't be accessed) to be broken.

And even if it's only a temporary issue, who other than the retailer, is going to be handling complaints about ebook purchases that "don't work" ?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-10-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #20
Ryn
Connoisseur
Ryn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not talking only temporary. Links break, servers change hands, overwhelmed resources--stuff happens. Is someone going to take responsibility for making sure the remote video is hosted forever at that host/url? I'd certainly call an ebook that contains a large remote video resource that no longer exists (or can't be accessed) to be broken.

And even if it's only a temporary issue, who other than the retailer, is going to be handling complaints about ebook purchases that "don't work" ?
You make some good points, from the perspective of a retailer all of these things would be outside their influence. Of course, reputable ebook producers would know how to handle such issues, but there is no way a retailer can control for the diligence of each possible publishing entrant into the ebook market. And then again, publishers get acquired or go out of business all the time, and what does that mean for their digital operations?

Nevertheless, in this case, Rakuten does not say that external links in media tags are not kosher. They have some sort of issue with the manifesting of said external links, which looks more like some sort of glitch than it does a conscious business decision. But I could be wrong.
Ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nevertheless, in this case, Rakuten does not say that external links in media tags are not kosher. They have some sort of issue with the manifesting of said external links, which looks more like some sort of glitch than it does a conscious business decision.
Agreed. I hope they give you some clarification you can share.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Perhaps I'm just dense, but as the videos are being hosted remotely--or that's the idea--why not just use a link to the hosted URL? Those people with devices that can play video also have browser-capability, and could then just as easily click a link and play the video from Youtube, Vimeo, etc.

I realize it's not as "slick" as having it play right inside the book, but I don't know that there's a way around your dilemma. All things considered, I mean. The link option has about as many pros and cons as does the idea of remotely hosting video; neither will work if there's no Net/wifi capability, and both will result in the video only being played in those devices that have the capability, and both will NOT cause those readers with eINks to pull their hair out.

Just a thought.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote