Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
Feather_Qwill
Enthusiast
Feather_Qwill began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket Pro
Exclamation Calibre crashing with 1000 books (Mac)

About a year ago, I discovered that Calibre (running on a Macbook) would have all sorts of issues including crashing as soon as I had more than 1000 books. I temporarily got around the problem by putting ~150 into another library. However, I am again reaching the 1000 book limit (I have 996 right now), and I cannot easily split them up this time.

Does anyone know how to deal with this issue, preferably without further subdivisions of my libraries?

Thanks.
Feather_Qwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No reason for a crash or splitting of library. Many users have far larger libraries. Maybe try to post a log when it crashes.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe it was a problem with Calibre back then. Calibre has moved on and been very much updated. So I suggest trying again with more than 1000 book sin the library.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
on Calibre handle lots bigger libraries.

I would suspect Calibre has discovered a weakness in your computer.
Calibre can stress CPU and RAM (for short bursts), be fairly intensive on disk access. Poor cooling, bad RAM, a bad disc Sector are just a few.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
Feather_Qwill
Enthusiast
Feather_Qwill began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket Pro
IIRC, it was an issue with the specific number of books--not a general slowing down or increase in crashing as my library grew, but an abrupt total meltdown the instant I added the 1000th (or maybe the 1001st?) book. I think the research I did into it at the time said it was related to some issue with Macs having 1000 files being accessed at once or something, rather than specifically a Calibre problem.

I'll update to the latest version of Calibre, of course, but I'm not sure it will help when the time comes.
Feather_Qwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather_Qwill View Post
IIRC, it was an issue with the specific number of books--not a general slowing down or increase in crashing as my library grew, but an abrupt total meltdown the instant I added the 1000th (or maybe the 1001st?) book. I think the research I did into it at the time said it was related to some issue with Macs having 1000 files being accessed at once or something, rather than specifically a Calibre problem.

I'll update to the latest version of Calibre, of course, but I'm not sure it will help when the time comes.
Calibre does not ever 'ACCESS all the books at once'. There are A FEW operations that open and close book related files SEQUENTIALLY, but never upon Launch.
The DB, and Covers for those shown in Grid or Cover view and a few more. that is nowhere close to 1K
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mac