Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2022, 06:53 PM   #1
AvgUser
AvgUser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Help with Translation

This might be a silly question, but this forum appears to be the best place to post it.

I bought a kindle and bought an ebook recently. The book is only available in a foreign language I do not speak. When previewing it, I right clicked the window and clicked the "translate to English" option that pops up. It worked in that moment. Although it was not a perfect translation, it was better than nothing.

After downloading it, for whatever reason, I can't seem to translate it again. The kindle dictionary feature is very unhelpful and can only translate a word or two at a time. What I would like to know is if there is a way to open the file in a simple html page or convert to some file where I can reasonably copy and paste the words or translate it. Does anyone have any advice? I'm kind of at a loss.

(PS - I tried converting the file on a file converting site, but it had some sort of protection. I completely understand that, but I did pay for the book, and this entirely for my own personal use.)
AvgUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 07:00 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
To convert it, you'll need to remove the DRM. For that, you'll need
  1. Calibre (https://calibre-ebook.com/),
  2. the deDRM plugin (https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools),
and also read this to learn how to download the file from Amazon:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 12:46 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvgUser View Post
This might be a silly question, but this forum appears to be the best place to post it.

I bought a kindle and bought an ebook recently. The book is only available in a foreign language I do not speak. When previewing it, I right clicked the window and clicked the "translate to English" option that pops up. It worked in that moment. Although it was not a perfect translation, it was better than nothing.

After downloading it, for whatever reason, I can't seem to translate it again. The kindle dictionary feature is very unhelpful and can only translate a word or two at a time. What I would like to know is if there is a way to open the file in a simple html page or convert to some file where I can reasonably copy and paste the words or translate it. Does anyone have any advice? I'm kind of at a loss.

(PS - I tried converting the file on a file converting site, but it had some sort of protection. I completely understand that, but I did pay for the book, and this entirely for my own personal use.)
You can translate longer passages by highlighting text and selecting the Translate option (uses Bing translate). Kindle needs to be online for this.

Each time you'll probably want to delete the highlight.

If you manage to remove the DRM, and covert it to DOCX, and have access to Microsoft Word, it will translate the entire document.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-31-2022 at 12:55 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 08:29 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
If you manage to remove the DRM, and covert it to DOCX, and have access to Microsoft Word, it will translate the entire document.
What version(s)?
Not on MS Word 2007 anyway?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 07:31 PM   #5
AvgUser
AvgUser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you all for your help!
AvgUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 08:18 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
What version(s)?
Not on MS Word 2007 anyway?
No, this is the current version (16.68 for Mac). No idea when the feature appeared.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, conversion, kindle, translation