Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-02-2020, 04:06 AM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
One more thing about the name Alice... I had noticed about the name early on, especially because as mentioned even though I now know the name has a specifically Italian pronunciation, the audio narrator pronounced it with the English pronunciation while the rest of the names sound Italian (or Spanish as with Sol) even if pronounced by an English narrator.

So with that preface, nearer the end of the book when Mattia returns to Italy and looks for Alice at her father's home Sol tells him, "Alice doesn't live here anymore". My mind immediately noticed that, since it is the exact title of an old film, one of Martin Scorsese's first major ones from the 1970's. I couldn't help but think it was intentional because it's such a specific phrase with a specific name used, and the scene could've even been skipped since it's basically extraneous and he even almost skipped going there and knew going that she probably wouldn't be there. I know the book was written in Italian but I'd suppose the film's Italian title might also exactly align with what Sol says in the Italian version too.

The old film is not really anything like this book but I'm thinking Giordano just really liked the film or something and included the phrase, maybe just for fun. The film does have some similarities with our selection, both being naturalistic straightforward dramas with romances and both being structured to move the story along with snippets of various everyday life scenes.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote