Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 06-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #16
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
"It is not particularly wise to format the card as external with an SD tray - simply because a tray is not designed for card exchange.
I have formatted a Samsung 512 Evo Plus as internal in my Alita - works wonderfully" - ottischwenk

You are saying then that Boyue support don't know what they are talking about? I didn't get an explanation for why the card shouldn't be used as internal storage, maybe because their English isn't great but having seen what can go wrong when things stop working wonderfully I believe them to be correct.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #17
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Well, I don't think I'm going to go back to using adoptable storage. When I checked how much of the SD card's memory was being used for apps, it came to around what was still available in internal memory. Today I reinstalled the essential apps, and I found a spare 32GB micro SD card without much on it to use for portable storage. This might give me enough space to download some music from Spotify. If it turns out that I need more, I'll look into that later. I also looked into repairing my micro SD card, but I have had no luck with that. I downloaded a Sandisk program for formatting micro SD cards with Windows, but it did not recognize my SD card and only gave me the option to format my flash drive, which is not what I wanted. The one that went bad was 128GB. What's the largest size anyone has used with the Likebook Mars?
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2020, 01:45 AM   #18
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
You are saying then that Boyue support don't know what they are talking about?
No, I said that it is not particularly wise to use a card that is hardly interchangeable as an external (interchangeable) card:
- Some applications do not allow their data to be saved on the card.
- Internally formatted SD cards offer much faster access; therefore they should also be very fast.
Quote:
I didn't get an explanation for why the card shouldn't be used as internal storage, maybe because their English isn't great but having seen what can go wrong when things stop working wonderfully I believe them to be correct.
But if you have formatted them internally, then you have to know what to do, because then you will not have access to the internal memory and it will be (almost) lost.
- move all installed applications to the internal memory using the Android apps settings so that the programs and the associated parameters are located there; thus at least part of it is used and all applications are available immediately after booting and you do not have to wait until the SD card has been read.

Boyue has tested SD cards up to 128 GB and the Alita has "removable" 64 + 128 GB available; with "Internal" only 128 GB.

In my Ares and Alita Samsung 512 Evo Plus "Internal" works and there is no need to access the 64 GB of unused internal memory - there is enough space
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #19
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
That is a useful reply ottischwenk. In my case the Alita is showing 26.3Gb of internal memory of which 22.6Gb is available. That would hold a massive number of ebooks.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #20
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
In my case the Alita is showing 26.3Gb of internal memory of which 22.6Gb is available. That would hold a massive number of ebooks.
Maybe 100 cbr or cbz will fit in there.
My Kiwix (offline Wikipedia) uses about 45 GB.
My Alita is currently filled with ~ 250 GB
Advert
Old 06-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #21
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Maybe 100 cbr or cbz will fit in there.
My Kiwix (offline Wikipedia) uses about 45 GB.
My Alita is currently filled with ~ 250 GB
To be fair if you're using an offline Wikipedia that is r/datahorder territory lol. A formatted internal card will have way more read/writes on it and while it will be fine for a while it will degrade it overtime way faster then if it was as an external but if it's a good sdcard it will take a long time for this to happen. Also a tray is not any harder, really you just need to use a eject tool that comes in any modern driver kit nowadays.

EDIT: just wanted to say also I do side with you on the swap it once if you need the space though, most of my devices have 512GB microsd cards as they are so cheap now.

Last edited by rvcjew; 06-02-2020 at 12:25 PM.
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #22
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
A formatted internal card will have way more read/writes on it and while it will be fine for a while it will degrade it overtime way faster then if it was as an external but if it's a good sdcard it will take a long time for this to happen.
The card is GPT with a 16 MB Fat32 partition to move defective blocks and the second partition is "other". That certainly works for some time.
Quote:
Also a tray is not any harder, really you just need to use a eject tool that comes in any modern driver kit nowadays.
To get to the tray, I would first have to remove the cover - of course you can do that, but why?
Quote:
EDIT: just wanted to say also I do side with you on the swap it once if you need the space though, most of my devices have 512GB microsd cards as they are so cheap now.
If I really need something external, then I use USB OTG, which even works with 4 TB NTFS formatted USB hard disks.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #23
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Well each persons' use case is different but I use a rugged case on all my devices so getting to the exposed sdslot would be a hassle anyways. Most devices with trays do have o-rings and ingress protection to keep their IPX rating if they have one. I don't think any boyue devices have that though. It's more for a seamless look to the device. These days i'm just happy when a device still has an sdslot at all.
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote