Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Several firmware tweaks in rapid succession....

A sale on Clara and Forma in North America, but only for a few days....

I wonder what Kobo has up its sleeve.
The firmware updates are nothing to speculate about. The second and third 4.20 firmware releases are just bug fixes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:06 AM   #17
IanScuffling
Enthusiast
IanScuffling began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
I love it when the firmware gets updated. I feel that I'm getting a newer and improved Kobo reader.
Me too! It may be the placebo effect, but I like it.
IanScuffling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
I notice that I did not need to enable Attempt to support newer firmware in Calibre for this firmware to work with it.
No, it will not be need. Calibre will support all 4.20.x firmware versions.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:28 PM   #19
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
After the first 4.20 firmware I noticed that I couldn't get to the "A" menu until I left the book and then reopened the book. It was like the picture menu in the top bar. Now with the latest 4.20, it all seems to be back to normal.
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndlewis View Post
After the first 4.20 firmware I noticed that I couldn't get to the "A" menu until I left the book and then reopened the book. It was like the picture menu in the top bar. Now with the latest 4.20, it all seems to be back to normal.
Was this with a kepub? There is a problem like when opening a kepub. The first page is a cover and treated differently and has different menu bar items. It shows the zoom icon at the top instead of the font icon. When you turn to the first text page, the icons don't change. If you close the book at this point and reopen it, the correct icons are shown. And if you page back to the cover, they don't get updated again.
Advert
Old 03-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #21
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Yes, that sounds like the problem I saw. Definitely was kepubs. I was reading on the Boox and when I picked up the kobo, found the book, opened it and then jumped to the chapter I was on, then tried to adjust the font and it was showing the image menubar. I left the book (home page) and reopened it and all was fine. This happened 2x before I updated to the latest firmware and I checked it right away and that problem seems to be gone. Back to normal, in other words.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #22
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Yes, that sounds like the problem I saw. Definitely was kepubs. I was reading on the Boox and when I picked up the kobo, found the book, opened it and then jumped to the chapter I was on, then tried to adjust the font and it was showing the image menubar. I left the book (home page) and reopened it and all was fine. This happened 2x before I updated to the latest firmware and I checked it right away and that problem seems to be gone. Back to normal, in other words.
This has been happening to me with library kepubs. As of last night I hadn't gotten the latest update but I am glad to know it will be fixed.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #23
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
That's strange, I notice the missing Aa menu for the first time on 4.20.14622

Edit: Bug is still there on latest 4.20. It does not affect only the cover, but any 'chapter' (or internal file,) that is image only.

The tiggering condition requires that you tap to see menus. Whatever menu screen you open first, is the menu screen that you will see until the book is re-opened. So if you open menu page on a text files, you will always have Font Menu. If you open menu on an image file, you will always have the Zoom Menu.

Interestingly, Zoom actually works on the text pages, with pan/scan. How useful that might be, I'll leave as an exercise to the reader.

Last edited by rashkae; 03-16-2020 at 01:44 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #24
kndlewis
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
That's strange, I notice the missing Aa menu for the first time on 4.20.14622

Edit: Bug is still there on latest 4.20. It does not affect only the cover, but any 'chapter' (or internal file,) that is image only.
Uh-oh. I'll have to check more carefully. I'm at work right now without a kobo on hand. I will check as soon as I get home.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #25
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
My normal procedure with a new book is to open the book (which of course brings up the cover), then open the table of contents and go directly to Chapter 1. Is it doing this because the first thing that was opened was the cover image? or is it perhaps that the chapter title is an image instead of text?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Uh-oh. I'll have to check more carefully. I'm at work right now without a kobo on hand. I will check as soon as I get home.
It is definitely happening in 4.20.14622. I had noticed it before, but, hadn't worked out how to reproduce it consistently. I'm fairly sure it is new in the 4.20.x firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
My normal procedure with a new book is to open the book (which of course brings up the cover), then open the table of contents and go directly to Chapter 1. Is it doing this because the first thing that was opened was the cover image? or is it perhaps that the chapter title is an image instead of text?
Firstly, it is only affecting kepubs. Epubs do not have the image zoom function.

The problem happens when the book is opened to a page that is an image. It will be most commonly noticed when first opening the book as the start is usually an image. But, checking a book that has a text only first page, it didn't happen. And in another that had images further into the book (an omnibus with the covers for the books at the start of each book). I paged to one of these covers and closed the book. When I opened the book again, the zoom icon was shown but didn't go away when I went to the next page.

I think it needs the image to be the only thing in the internal html file. That Triggers different handling of the file and the image zoom icon should be shown instead of the font settings. But, this isn't being handled properly when paging through the book.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #27
Tuneraider
Connoisseur
Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle, Tolino, Nook
Here's another workaround where I don't think you have to completely close/reopen the book.
Move off the cover screen. Tap middle of the screen. On top of the right of the screen tap the ... Tap View Details. Tap Read now.
It's worked on the three books I tried so far.
Also I tried downgrading to 4.19? last night and the bug doesn't go away.
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:52 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
What about all the other things that can be between the list of links (not a real ToC in an ePub as that's the job of the NCX file) and Chapter 1?
Old 03-16-2020, 07:01 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you are reading kePub because of the slow highlighting, that's no longer an issue. Highlighting was reworked and now works very well with ePub.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneraider View Post
Here's another workaround where I don't think you have to completely close/reopen the book.
Move off the cover screen. Tap middle of the screen. On top of the right of the screen tap the ... Tap View Details. Tap Read now.
It's worked on the three books I tried so far.
That is really reopening the book. And I'm not sure of the advantage. It feels easier to close and reopen the book.
Quote:
Also I tried downgrading to 4.19? last night and the bug doesn't go away.
I just tried 4.18 and it was working properly there. Then updating to 4.19 and the error wasn't there.

Tags
firmware